Just what this retiree wanted to see...

6,842 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kwtx.com/2022/03/25/mclennan-county-homeowners-warned-expect-average-tax-appraisal-increase-30-percent/
Eleven-League Grant
Bexar Pitts said:

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/03/25/mclennan-county-homeowners-warned-expect-average-tax-appraisal-increase-30-percent/
At least for homeowners over age 65, the school tax freeze will prevent quite a bit of any damage, although there is no over-65 freeze in McLennan County for county, city and MCC taxes.

And, the 10% maximum increase (per year) will help homeowners under 65, although the total 30% will just be spread over 3 years, rather than just 1.

Those who own rental properties, however, will more than likely have yet another significant increase in their cost of doing business.

The question we all should ask is -- will the tax rates drop by anything close to the amount of the increase, or will the county, cities and school districts drop the rates only a pittance and then party like it's 1999, to use a phrase?

EDIT: I wonder what percentage increases commercial properties will see? The MCAD in prior years has had some pretty big legal battles with larger businesses over the amount of increase in their appraisals. This is particularly true in the area around the 'Silos'. With the increases in the cost of (a) raw materials/supplies and (b) the cost of labor many businesses are struggling to achieve profitability after some dismal COVID months. More property tax burden is certainly not something they need.
Bexar Pitts
Eleven-League Grant said:

Bexar Pitts said:

At least for homeowners over age 65, the school tax freeze will prevent quite a bit of any damage, although there is no over-65 freeze in McLennan County for county, school and MCC taxes.

And, the 10% maximum increase (per year) will help homeowners under 65, although the total 30% will just be spread over 3 years, rather than just 1.

Those who own rental properties, however, will more than likely have yet another significant increase in their cost of doing business.

The question we all should ask is -- will the tax rates drop by anything close to the amount of the increase, or will the county, cities and school districts drop the rates a only pittance and then party like it's 1999, to use a phrase?
No doubt the statewide school tax freeze is a real help for those of us over 65..As you mention, however, the city and county taxes continue to increase. For those living on Social Security ( and yes, I understand that's not what is was designed for) these recent times are presenting great difficulty in "making ends meet." In the last 5 years , my County and City taxes have gone up quite a bit, and unless they could possibly be frozen like school taxes, there's no telling what they will be in 10,15, or 20 years..The 5 percent Social Security increase this year was eaten up by a Medicare premium increase and price inflation of almost everything we consume or use.. A home once considered a "lifetime" residence could in some cases become unaffordable due to taxes and insurance costs..If you sell, where do you go? I understand the cost of living will always go from "lower left to upper right" on the chart, I just wish elderly homeowners could get some meaningful relief from local and county tax increases. Just my dos centavos..
BaylorGuy314
Property taxes in their entirety should be capped for people over 70 until there is a legal change in ownership.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Eleven-League Grant
Bexar Pitts said:

In the last 5 years, my County and City taxes have gone up quite a bit, and unless they could possibly be frozen like school taxes, there's no telling what they will be in 10,15, or 20 years..
Understood. Some communities have in fact adopted a freeze on city taxes for those 65 and older. Plano is one such city.

According to some Texas property tax FAQs on the Texas Comptroller's web site:
Quote:

If I am age 65 or older, disabled or a surviving spouse who is age 55 or older, does a tax ceiling apply to county, city or junior college district property taxes?

Yes, if the county commissioners court, city council or board of the junior college district authorizes a tax limitation on the homesteads of persons age 65 or older or disabled. The taxing unit governing body or voters (by petition and election) may adopt the limitation. This local option does not apply to other special districts such as water, hospital, etc.
As far as I know, we haven't yet had any proposals from our elected officials here in McLennan County (and the cities - e.g. Waco, Woodway, Hewitt, Robinson) to extend the 65 and over freeze to city, county and MCC taxes. But, if those taxing units wanted to do that (or the voters insisted they do that), nothing in state law prohibits it.

Historically, school district taxes have made up the lions share of the property tax bill here in Texas. In recent years, though, some of the more 'progressive' cities (e.g. - Austin) have concluded that there is no amount of tax their homeowners won't pay and thus they have been increasing their taxes substantially as a result.
Bexar Pitts
You are correct in the "no proposals yet" statement. I have been writing my City Councilman and Mayor for a few months asking for such a freeze, and have been told that a study is now being done in this regard. Budgets will soon start their annual "putting together" process, and I'm hopeful this issue is being adequately addressed..BTW, I believe that Plano is one of several cities in the DFW area that have enacted or in the process of enacting such a freeze on Senior taxes. If you are a Senior in the Waco area, a call,letter,or email to your local elected officials asking for such a freeze is not a bad idea..Let them hear from you.
cowboycwr
I was just about to come and see if anyone had the trib article discussing this as their new paywall prevented me from reading it but I must have seen it about 6 different times this weekend on facebook. I missed this one on KWTX so I appreciate it.

As to the jump.... I sort of expected it since I have seen so many homes near me selling for what seems like insane amounts. I have seen some sell for double what I bought my house for 7 years ago.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

I was just about to come and see if anyone had the trib article discussing this as their new paywall prevented me from reading it but I must have seen it about 6 different times this weekend on facebook. I missed this one on KWTX so I appreciate it.

As to the jump.... I sort of expected it since I have seen so many homes near me selling for what seems like insane amounts. I have seen some sell for double what I bought my house for 7 years ago.
Yep. I could sell mine for 1.5x what we got it for 5 years ago. Insane
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

And what really surprises me is how fast they are going.

There was one house on our street that the for sale sign went up and two days later it was pending.

Makes me think that the real estate agents selling houses also have people on their list wanting to buy so they are giving them notice about the house before it "officially" hits the market. Nothing wrong with it, just that that seemed way to fast for someone to find that house for sale, look at it and make an offer.
BaylorHistory
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

There was one house on our street that the for sale sign went up and two days later it was pending.

Makes me think that the real estate agents selling houses also have people on their list wanting to buy so they are giving them notice about the house before it "officially" hits the market. Nothing wrong with it, just that that seemed way to fast for someone to find that house for sale, look at it and make an offer.
We bought in April 2021 and many homeowners weren't even allowing their homes to be viewed as they were getting cash offers above asking price. It made it incredibly frustrating to buy, but we got lucky and were able to find one. Also, our value has gone up 16% in the year since according to what a nearly identical house next door is going for.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Weston Rogers
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

The market really is that hot, our house went live in the MLS last Thursday afternoon... Offers the next morning from sight unseen out of state buyers and then a ton of showings over the weekend as well as an open house on Sunday and we are now pending a contract as of yesterday.

This market isn't affording buyers the chance to look at a house, talk it over for a few days, make an offer... Basically if you like what you see in the MLS/during showing in the first 48 hours of the listing you better make a big offer.
BUbearinARK
BaylorGuy314 said:

Property taxes in their entirety should be capped for people over 70 until there is a legal change in ownership.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

What fun is it not to insidiously and legally steal from people?
CorsicanaBear
We need California style Proposition 13 style change here in Texas. Prop 13 limited taxes to 1% of value. Value is determined when the property changes hands and a max 2% increase in valuation permitted to account for inflation. Any measure to increase state revenues requires a 2/3rd majority now (not a bar to increases now that all the legislators are democrats) and local special tax increases require approval by 2/3rds of voters. Some of the other provisions I'm not so enamored with, but changing valuations only when properties sell and limiting taxes to 1% of value I like.
BaylorHistory
CorsicanaBear said:

We need California style Proposition 13 style change here in Texas. Prop 13 limited taxes to 1% of value. Value is determined when the property changes hands and a max 2% increase in valuation permitted to account for inflation. Any measure to increase state revenues requires a 2/3rd majority now (not a bar to increases now that all the legislators are democrats) and local special tax increases require approval by 2/3rds of voters. Some of the other provisions I'm not so enamored with, but changing valuations only when properties sell and limiting taxes to 1% of value I like.
Wouldn't that cause property prices to soar and keep even more young people from purchasing property?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Sachimo
Sounds like we need to freeze values at the price someone paid for their principal residence while they own it. Adjust the value when it's sold. Stop taxing people out their homes. If anything, the owner can pay a capital gains tax when it sells

Also, don't forget just a few short years ago, Texans voted to allow disabled vets to reduce their taxes or pay no property taxes at all. Just on my street, from my front yard, I can see 4 houses where the owner pays zero in property taxes.

They've got to make up the loss in tax revenue somewhere.

First it was disabled vets, then spouses of disabled vets, then spouses of first responders killed in the line of duty; I imagine teachers won't be far behind.

While I understand people want disabled vets to enjoy some perks as way to say thanks, creating a segment of the population that aren't required to pay their fair share of taxes, in my opinion, is not the best way to handle it. Disabled vets do get benefits as well.

I know a guy who was in the army for 4 years (15 years ago). Off duty, he hurt his knee playing football. Because he was on base, he receives $700 a month for the rest of his life, plus he gets a reduction on his property taxes. He's a big fan of playing racquet ball, at least twice per week.

Texas needs to legalize gambling, decriminalize weed, increase taxes on rental cars and hotels (tourism), if needed, institute a capital gains tax when a property sells instead increasing taxes paid every year, and establish a consumption tax if needed. Also, they need to stop the practice of not taxing churches or other non-profits.

We need real property tax reform in Texas, not the BS they cooked up a couple of years ago that seems to have not made a bit of difference.
Robert Wilson
Oops - wrong thread.
perrynative
How much tax did you have to pay?
ABC BEAR
Will a 29% tax increase for Waco homeowners be matched by a 29% improvement in Waco schools?
william
Bexar Pitts said:

go grab one of those old missile silos.

- KKM

live vertical!
Dale?
BUDOS
It is our responsibility to hold our elected officials accountable for appropriate use of funds, raising sufficient funds and informing us as how and why they are needed. This should be after listening to us about what should be the priorities for how we want them spent.
Police, fire fighters, good streets, etc are not free and neither is the respective maintenance, training and all.
BUDOS80
whitetrash
ABC BEAR said:

Will a 29% tax increase for Waco homeowners be matched by a 29% improvement in Waco schools?
A rise in cumulative GPA from 1.1 to 1.4 is a roughly 29% improvement, so theoretically it's possible.
BUDOS
Based on Waco ISD student academic class rankings something needs to change. As embarrassing as our academic rankings are it would appear that the board needs to go, unless inadequate funding is still the problem.
BUDOS80
cowboycwr
BUDOS said:

Based on Waco ISD student academic class rankings something needs to change. As embarrassing as our academic rankings are it would appear that the board needs to go, unless inadequate funding is still the problem.
The board needs an overhaul for sure. There are either elite Waco "wealthy" on there that have been around for ever and play politics with everything (buddy system/good ole boy system) or ones who play too much into the restorative justice, race card, numbers game.
BUDOS
We still can vote them out. For this problem to be as terrible as it is over such a long period of time it appears that the parents and other taxpayers have been complacent/apathetic. My opinion is that they are guilty of failing these kids as well as the town. We know that many people thinking about moving to a new town look up the school district's academic rankings/performance. Ours is worse than bad. It is criminal and we are guilty of allowing this to continue.
BUDOS80
BUbearinARK
Headline: All Waco ISD Voters Jailed for Complacency

Also: Jail Overcrowding is an Issue; No Remaining Taxpayers to Fund Improvements
cowboycwr
BUDOS said:

We still can vote them out. For this problem to be as terrible as it is over such a long period of time it appears that the parents and other taxpayers have been complacent/apathetic. My opinion is that they are guilty of failing these kids as well as the town. We know that many people thinking about moving to a new town look up the school district's academic rankings/performance. Ours is worse than bad. It is criminal and we are guilty of allowing this to continue.
Oh I agree they need to be voted out.

but you pointed out some of the problems.

1. Complacent parents. Schools are their "day care" and they really don't care what else happens and are not involved in the schooling process

This leads to few people showing up to vote for school board elections- which always seem to be at different times than any other election so the turn out is low or basically non existent compared to the population.

2. Complacent citizens- many people that no longer have kids/don't have kids yet don't really pay attention to what is going on with the schools and then don't vote for school board.

3. People pay attention to school rankings/performance- which is why all the area districts like Midway, China Spring, Robinson, Lorena, etc. are growing quickly. It has also led to the growth of several charter schools in the area as well as private schools.

But at the same time changing board members will only produce minimal results if the main problem is the parents/students not being involved, caring, etc.
BUDOS
Cowboy I can't disagree with your points. Perhaps the next school board election we have a new face who did there homework and gets the attention of the media about what the current board members have allowed to happen and the candidate has the research to back it up. I think the point I am trying to make is that we are the most guilty of all parties if all we do is gripe and not do anything significant/tangible to change it.
BUDOS80
NOVA Bear
BaylorGuy314 said:

Tell me why I'm wrong.

My parents left Texas to retire in Greenville, South Carolina because they freeze taxes for retirees the moment they buy property. Taxes can go down, but never up.
BUDOS
Now that I am 70 I would like that. My question is how does that government entity make up for the lost revenue? I mean the cost of living is not going down so they have to to either increase the taxes to make up for the loss or find another revenue source.
Perhaps that particular area is growing in population?
I don't enjoy paying taxes but I do like having police, firefighters, good schools and roads and they're not free.
BUDOS80
4th and Inches
BUDOS said:

Now that I am 70 I would like that. My question is how does that government entity make up for the lost revenue? I mean the cost of living is not going down so they have to to either increase the taxes to make up for the loss or find another revenue source.
I don't enjoy paying taxes but I do like having police, firefighters, good schools and roads and they're not free.
most states that have better property tax rates have additional sources of income like a state income tax.

Biggest problem with Texas is the values have skyrocketed and the rates havent been offset enough to make it affordable to all. My friends house in DFW was appraised at 670k, they paid like 1.5k a month in taxes last year to the mortgage company.
1outawayBear
BUDOS said:

simple answer: make weed legal and tax it
BUDOS
Wow! I know that Waco has changed a lot but was not aware it and Texas had that much of an issue. We only come a couple times a year to visit family and the campus. My hometown has changed a lot.
BUDOS80
BUDOS
I'm not ready to go there, perhaps because that's just an area where I am a bit more conservative and old school due to my age and upbringing.
Additionally I have not kept up on the research the last several years. I fear it would create other issues. However we do have the advantage of observing the pros and cons of what is happening in the states that are allowing it. As a society we may decide to go with it. We know things like alcohol and cigarettes/nicotine can cause serious health issues and death, increases health costs and such but we decided we have the right to make those choices. (So should we have the right to decide whether or not to wear seatbelts or motorcycle helmets?)
Here I go chasing rabbits; time to have a smoke with my drink as I drive off on my 83 Harley XR-1000 to vote out the far left and far right and bring sanity back to our country. Hi-oh Silver!.
BUDOS80
trey3216
My market value is up 33% from last year. That's an ouch.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

My market value is up 33% from last year. That's an ouch.
Trey, that's about what was predicted as an average. I think if you've had a home or two nearby sell for a really inflated price (which has happened..apparently many times) that your and your neighbors' valuations can expect a hefty increase... Arroyo Road, in NW Waco has evidently experienced this. I've looked at the MCAD site and seen huge appraisal value increases of residences in that location of the City...I'm talking anywhere from 90k to almost 200K per home...Although capped ( if homesteaded) I believe at 10 percent per annum tax increase, it won't take many years for the amount of taxes collected to be staggering..Seniors, disabled on fixed incomes really feel the pinch... I'm asking Waco's Mayor,my Council Rep, and County Judge to consider doing what some other cities in Texas have done or are doing....that being a tax FREEZE for this segment of our citizenry.Just my opinions.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.