For fans of Food For Thought, and Good Music Too!

3,349 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by trey3216
Bearknuckle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many Baylor alums from the last couple of decades have fond memories of Terry & Jo's Food for Thought (known to most simply as Food for Thought). I just wanted to pass along that while sadly FFT is no longer open for business, Terry is getting a new business up and off the ground: a music shop!

For those who got to chat with Terry at FFT, his encyclopedic knowledge of music often came to the forefront of conversations. He doesn't have a brick & mortar storefront just yet, but he's already built an incredible inventory and is selling on discogs under the tag "jahterry". Give his page a look - he's got some incredible stuff, both new and old!
CizzLark
Man those chicken nachos were the bomb back in the day
Bearknuckle
CizzLark said:

oh yeah!

my personal ranking

1a) The Tank
1b) Stuffed Avos
1c) Black Bean Burrito w/Vegan Chorizo
1d) Chicken Nachos
1e) Margherita pizza

whitetrash
They still gonna be dealing meth at the new place?

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco-businesswoman-charged-with-felony-after-neighborhood-complaints-444556433.html
Bearknuckle
I don't want to speak into it too much, out of respect for those hurt by the whole situation, but I'll say this: Terry was never involved in any of that stuff--he and Jo had separated well before it got that far. It was tragic for those of us who know her to see Jo's life take such a dark turn, and yes, that had a direct effect on the success of the restaurant; she wasn't always that person, and she's on the journey of recovery.

With all of that said, during the times when FFT was under his stewardship, Terry spent the better part of fifteen years working his butt off in that place, giving Waco a unique little local flavor of which many people have wonderful memories.
FrankFallonCalling
respectator said:

CizzLark said:

oh yeah!

my personal ranking

1a) The Tank
1b) Stuffed Avos
1c) Black Bean Burrito w/Vegan Chorizo
1d) Chicken Nachos
1e) Margherita pizza

The Tank was versatile as a lunch option or as a tipsy Dancing Bear companion.
SteamedHams
whitetrash said:

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco-businesswoman-charged-with-felony-after-neighborhood-complaints-444556433.html
Username...checks out?
T-REX
Grew up in Waco but never heard of FFT. When did it close? And where was it located?

Nvm looks like on speight
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
T-REX
whitetrash said:

per the article looks like only had it at her house. Was it discovered that the actual business was dealing out of it?
Baylor MBA 2023
Bearknuckle
I can't swear that it never happened there when she was running FFT, honestly I don't know. The whole ordeal was a slow motion train wreck that sucked.

But just to repeat: Terry wasn't ever a part of that, and the times he ran the shop it was an awesome place.
Showtime
I loved FFT. Never went there in college but started going once I moved back to Waco. Would talk to Terry when I would go by because it was almost always just me in there.

My wife says it used to be a huge line to get in. Hard for me to imagine it given how empty it's been the last 5 years when I go. I know from talking to him 11th being closed hurt the downtown crowd. I know it made it harder for me to get there.

When he told me he was closing I asked if he was selling the menu. He said no and that he might reopen again someday. Maybe in a Union Hall type setting. He'd probably do awesome there.
cowboycwr
T-REX said:

Grew up in Waco but never heard of FFT. When did it close? And where was it located?

It was sort of on the corner of Speight and 12th- across from the Ghetto HEB (RIP) and next door to Dancing Bear Pub.

Or just about a block down from Scruffy Murhphys.
SteamedHams
cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

It was sort of on the corner of Speight and 12th- across from the Ghetto HEB (RIP) and next door to Dancing Bear Pub.

I miss the Ghetto HEB. That place was so convenient, easiest parking in all the land, and I swear, no matter how low my expectations were, I still somehow always found exactly what I came for. Granted, that was Coors Light and/or toothpaste 90% of the time, but still, they HAD it, which is what matters.
bearsocal
SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

I miss the Ghetto HEB. That place was so convenient, easiest parking in all the land, and I swear, no matter how low my expectations were, I still somehow always found exactly what I came for. Granted, that was Coors Light and/or toothpaste 90% of the time, but still, they HAD it, which is what matters.

Baylor kids these day have no clue.
CammoTX
SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

They sold out of Keystone almost every Thursday night. RIP
BU84BEAR
CammoTX said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

They sold out of Keystone almost every Thursday night. RIP

I think that was just when TCU football was in town for a Thursday night game.
Cbh
I wasn't expecting that wrap up in the KWTX article about her dad
Yogi
What kind of music store?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Edmond Bear
bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

So so wrong. As evidence, Melody Ranch is making a comeback.

T-REX
Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

wouldn't call it a comeback. Has always been pretty busy. It's the only country dance spot really around so all the locals go plus students that want to line dance.
Baylor MBA 2023
cowboycwr
T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

wouldn't call it a comeback. Has always been pretty busy. It's the only country dance spot really around so all the locals go plus students that want to line dance.
I may be misremembering but wasn't it closed for a while and then reopened as a Tejano bar with a different name and then went back to the Melody Ranch?
T-REX
cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

I may be misremembering but wasn't it closed for a while and then reopened as a Tejano bar with a different name and then went back to the Melody Ranch?
Oh I have no clue. I'm just assuming it's always been around since I've heard about it being around for decades. I only started going this past year when in town and some friends want to go there. It's always packed
Baylor MBA 2023
SteamedHams
cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

You remember correctly. Circa 2000/2001, it became "El Rancho" for the next decade or so.
cowboycwr
SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

You remember correctly. Circa 2000/2001, it became "El Rancho" for the next decade or so.
That is what I thought.

When Graham Central Station opened Melody Ranch rapidly declined. Then GCS closed but a few years later Wild West opened and no one went to MR when there were those two options. Then they went back to Melody Ranch when there were no other options in town.
T-REX
cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

That is what I thought.

When Graham Central Station opened Melody Ranch rapidly declined. Then GCS closed but a few years later Wild West opened and no one went to MR when there were those two options. Then they went back to Melody Ranch when there were no other options in town.
rip wild west
Baylor MBA 2023
SteamedHams
T-REX said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

That is what I thought.

rip wild west
I was at a Randy Rogers/Wade Bowen acoustic show at Wild West when about 15 minutes into it the fire marshall came in and kicked every single solitary person out of there. There were some aaaannnngry people that evening, including WB and RR. I'm glad I didn't die in a fire, of course, but that sucked tremendously. Might have been the beginning of the end for Wild West in Waco.
cowboycwr
SteamedHams said:

T-REX said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

That is what I thought.

rip wild west
I was at a Randy Rogers/Wade Bowen acoustic show at Wild West when about 15 minutes into it the fire marshall came in and kicked every single solitary person out of there. There were some aaaannnngry people that evening, including WB and RR. I'm glad I didn't die in a fire, of course, but that sucked tremendously. Might have been the beginning of the end for Wild West in Waco.

And that was just one of several times something like that happened where they let too many people in and the fire Marshall shut them down.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

T-REX said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

Edmond Bear said:

bearsocal said:

SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

That is what I thought.

rip wild west

And that was just one of several times something like that happened where they let too many people in and the fire Marshall shut them down.
That and constantly getting busted for serving minors, not paying their liquor taxes properly, constantly having fights in there, and a host of other things.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.