Lunch in Waco

5,773 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OsoCoreyell
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to be in Waco. Any suggestions for lunch? Fly into Austin. Gonna do the usual Salt Lick and Original Chuey's. Looking for high quality Waco lunch place. Thanks.
BaylorHistory
RMF5630 said:

Fly into Austin. Gonna do the usual Salt Lick and Original Chuey's.
Come on man
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
FLBear5630
BaylorHistory said:

RMF5630 said:

Come on man
My meetings are in Austin. I live in Florida, so Salt Lick at Driftwood and Chuey's are my wife's favorites. I am getting her to come to the Baylor Bookstore for a shirt or two, so I need to come up with a good lunch place. Been a while, 20 years, since I ate in Waco.

Also hitting Wurstfest...
Bear Doc
RMF5630 said:

Going to be in Waco. Any suggestions for lunch? Fly into Austin. Gonna do the usual Salt Lick and Original Chuey's. Looking for high quality Waco lunch place. Thanks.
Depends on what kind of food you are looking for, but I am a huge fan of DiCampli's for lunch or dinner. They are italian. Pignetti's just opened their Waco location but I do not think they are open for lunch as of now.

Any specific type of food you are looking for?
FLBear5630
Bear Doc said:

RMF5630 said:

Depends on what kind of food you are looking for, but I am a huge fan of DiCampli's for lunch or dinner. They are italian. Pignetti's just opened their Waco location but I do not think they are open for lunch as of now.

Any specific type of food you are looking for?
Italian is great. Change of pace from Austin. Thanks!
73s de N4WJP
Here are my two suggestions:

1. Union Hall has a wide variety of food stalls featuring a varied selection of lunch choices. All the owners are local. It's on Austin smack in the center of the "Chip and Jo" tourist activity. The only negative is parking can be an adventure. https://unionhallwaco.com/vendors-union-hall/

2. Revival is a great lunch (or dinner) spot that can give you a feel as to how the disaster that was Elm Avenue is beginning to grow. The owner is there almost every day waiting tables and generally keeping things running smoothly. Bonus is that it's a very short distance from the stadium. One very small issue is some road work being done at MLK and Elm (literally next to the Sic 'Em 365 studios), but any Uber or Lyft driver will know how to circumvent as necessary. https://www.revivaleastsideeatery.com/

It's safe to say if you've not been to downtown Waco in 20 years things have changed more than a tad.
STxBear81
I hear lots of people saying how good Bombones(Mexican) is on 12th between Austin and Washington
FLBear5630
73s de N4WJP said:

Here are my two suggestions:

1. Union Hall has a wide variety of food stalls featuring a varied selection of lunch choices. All the owners are local. It's on Austin smack in the center of the "Chip and Jo" tourist activity. The only negative is parking can be an adventure. https://unionhallwaco.com/vendors-union-hall/

2. Revival is a great lunch (or dinner) spot that can give you a feel as to how the disaster that was Elm Avenue is beginning to grow. The owner is there almost every day waiting tables and generally keeping things running smoothly. Bonus is that it's a very short distance from the stadium. One very small issue is some road work being done at MLK and Elm (literally next to the Sic 'Em 365 studios), but any Uber or Lyft driver will know how to circumvent as necessary. https://www.revivaleastsideeatery.com/

It's safe to say if you've not been to downtown Waco in 20 years things have changed more than a tad.
Yeah, I remember my first professional "job"/internship ($100 bucks a week) was in McGregor in Graduate School. Took a drive around several times since when passing through. I usually hit the bookstore and go on to my meetings in Austin. Looked like it went down and then rebounded. Last time through it looked like it was growing and clean. Seemed to be some revitalization going on. I really thing McClane Stadium helped, seemed to spark some growth. I miss the old Miller Family Restaurant out on the river. My wife and I lived in Temple while I was at Baylor, she worked at Scott and White.

When I go to Austin I usually try to hit the Bookstore and Wahlberg German Restaurant before Austin work takes over.
BUbearinARK
BornAgain said:

I hear lots of people saying how good Bombones(Mexican) is on 12th between Austin and Washington
I second this motion.
Edmond Bear

Baylor just sent out a list of restaurants and it looks pretty great. It's not perfect but has lots of new stuff.

https://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2022/10/where-to-eat-if-youre-visiting-baylor-waco-and-what-to-order/
baylrballa
Waco Pignettis was not very good this past weekend. Likely still some early struggles getting things going, but it'll be awhile before we go back. Did not even come halfway close to the DiCamplis and Morosos type places in town.
No Longer Gold
RMF5630 said:

After salt lick and chueys, Sounds like you will have already done the Wurstfurst.
FLBear5630
swart dra mislei jou said:

RMF5630 said:

After salt lick and chueys, Sounds like you will have already done the worst first.

Happy wife, happy life. She likes those places. I don't mind sitting in Driftwood drinking beer, so I am not complaining.
FLBear5630

RMF5630 said:

After salt lick and chueys, Sounds like you will have already done the worst first.
Give me some alternatives in Austin area. Staying in Lakeway and meetings in Bee Cave.
STxBear81
go to the Domain, lots of choices there
FLBear5630
BornAgain said:

go to the Domain, lots of choices there
Is that a Restaurant or one of those places that have a bunch of booths.

What usually happens is that my team usually meet for dinner the night before. They are from around the country and Salt Lick is a nice environment with lots of room and a "Texas Feel". I agree on the barbeque, a bit strong for me.

We also hit Wurstfest after our annual meeting...
tcbear
Carve on Southwest Parkway. Very good.
FLBear5630
tcbear said:

Carve on Southwest Parkway. Very good.
Thanks!
LitigiOSO
Another new place and it's open for lunch:

https://www.pivovar.com/menus/lunch-menu
LitigiOSO
B.A. '92, J.D. '95
STxBear81
The Domain is a outdoor shopping / eating area with over 130 shops amd restaurants. Some upscale shops.
Really nice place
PartyBear
Sounds like one of those threads that will end up being an "everything in Waco is crap" thread. We see it starting already with good places like the original Chuy's being criticized even though that is Austin. If in Austin though I would recommend Hula Hut (a close cousin of Chuy's but a fusion with Pacific Islander food and on the water at Oyster Landing (I would love them to open one on the Brazos in Waco). Loros on South Lamar is great.. It is Franklins BBQ and an local Asian place fusion. I'll say it again. It is really good .

I would recommend Hecho in Waco as a nice local Mexican place. Right a block or two from the Silo's. That area will likely be packed this weekend. There are alot of good new places in Waco if you havent been here since 2002. I would say beware. For some reason Waco has decided to do all infrastructure upgrades simultaneosly which will make navigating crowds downtown even more challenging. Yes crowds downtown again probably not something you can picture if you havent been here since 2002.
FLBear5630
PartyBear said:

Sounds like one of those threads that will end up being an "everything in Waco is crap" thread. We see it starting already with good places like the original Chuy's being criticized even though that is Austin. If in Austin though I would recommend Hula Hut (a close cousin of Chuy's but a fusion with Pacific Islander food and on the water at Oyster Landing (I would love them to open one on the Brazos in Waco). Loros on South Lamar is great.. It is Franklins BBQ and an local Asian place fusion. I'll say it again. It is really good .

I would recommend Hecho in Waco as a nice local Mexican place. Right a block or two from the Silo's. That area will likely be packed this weekend. There are alot of good new places in Waco if you havent been here since 2002. I would say beware. For some reason Waco has decided to do all infrastructure upgrades simultaneosly which will make navigating crowds downtown even more challenging. Yes crowds downtown again probably not something you can picture if you havent been here since 2002.

Thanks. I have been to the bookstore. That is it. Looking forward to seeing. We like Chuys. I am gonna check out the Hula Hut!

My wife wants to go to Silo. So... You know how they say to be a traveler? Well, it is obvious when I am in tourist mode, I embrace. Lessons from growing up on Clearwater Beach, the locals know. So embrace it!
Coke Bear
RMF5630 said:

Thanks. I have been to the bookstore. That is it. Looking forward to seeing. We like Chuys. I am gonna check out the Hula Hut!

My wife wants to go to Silo. So... You know how they say to be a traveler? Well, it is obvious when I am in tourist mode, I embrace. Lessons from growing up on Clearwater Beach, the locals know. So embrace it!
When at the Silos, please find plenty of free parking north of the Silos further up Webster in their parking lots. No need to pay $10 to park unless you want to help the local churches in the area.
FLBear5630
Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

When at the Silos, please find plenty of free parking north of the Silos further up Webster in their parking lots. No need to pay $10 to park unless you want to help the local churches in the area.
Thanks!

My wife is excited. Geez, she seems more excited to go to Silos than when we got to go to Singapore last year for work.

No Longer Gold
RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks!

My wife is excited. Geez, she seems more excited to go to Silos than when we got to go to Singapore last year for work.

Sorry.

You know everything there is at target, right?
FLBear5630

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks!

Sorry.

Bite your tongue... It's Chip and Joanna...

I do not want to sleep on a couch for my time in Texas.

I have been informed we are skipping lunch and going to the bakery.
whitetrash
RMF5630 said:

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks!

Sorry.

Let her get in line at the bakery. Go find the Wizzbang's food truck and get a Wizzpig. Have a cupcake for dessert.
No Longer Gold
RMF5630 said:

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks!

Sorry.

No wonder millennials are limp wristed.

Tell your wife to go on a shopping trip, while you go watch football, or go hunting.

This whole we do everything together shiz is out of control.

Men and women are different. And that is not only ok, it's awesome.
FirmBear24
BUbearinARK said:

BornAgain said:

I second this motion.

Tried Bombones today. I'm a third vote. Enjoyed it and will go back.
FLBear5630

RMF5630 said:

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks!

Sorry.

No wonder millennials are limp wristed.

Tell your wife to go on a shopping trip, while you go watch football, or go hunting.

This whole we do everything together shiz is out of control.

Men and women are different. And that is not only ok, it's awesome.
Dude, it is a work trip. I am only going to Waco to get a shirt at the BU Bookstore. She is tagging along and asked to go to the Silo. We live in Florida and we are down the block. You say no and go hunting? Come on. I am doing my meeting on Friday and hitting Wurstfest.

It is not that big of a deal to go a 1/2 mile out of the way. Or, I guess I can show her I am a real man and tell her NO, I don't do shopping? Yeah, that sounds like a good move...

I guess I have to write (SARCASM) after the Bite your tongue line for you manly sorts that don't get subtlety. I am sure you wrist is not limp, it is probably frozen in the jack off position for all your football and hunting trips after you showed your wife who's boss. : )
Coke Bear
RMF5630 said:

Dude, it is a work trip. I am only going to Waco to get a shirt at the BU Bookstore. She is tagging along and asked to go to the Silo. We live in Florida and we are down the block. You say no and go hunting? Come on. I am doing my meeting on Friday and hitting Wurstfest.

It is not that big of a deal to go a 1/2 mile out of the way. Or, I guess I can show her I am a real man and tell her NO, I don't do shopping? Yeah, that sounds like a good move...

I guess I have to write (SARCASM) after the Bite your tongue line for you manly sorts that don't get subtlety. I am sure you wrist is not limp, it is probably frozen in the jack off position for all your football and hunting trips after you showed your wife who's boss. : )
I bag on Millennials for MANY things; however, wanting to spend time with one's wife is NOT one of them.

I'm a solid Gen-X'er and I still want to spend time with my wife doing some of the things that she does.

Go for you for doing something so trivial to make her happy. The area has seen significant upgrades in the last few years or so and helped Waco become the number 1 tourist spot in Texas. Who would have said that 30 years ago. I hope that you enjoy your time there.

At first, I thought that his "LET"S GO GREEN" schtick was just to troll everyone for fun. Now I wonder if some village is missing their idiot.
FLBear5630
Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

I bag on Millennials for MANY things; however, wanting to spend time with one's wife is NOT one of them.

I'm a solid Gen-X'er and I still want to spend time with my wife doing some of the things that she does.

Go for you for doing something so trivial to make her happy. The area has seen significant upgrades in the last few years or so and helped Waco become the number 1 tourist spot in Texas. Who would have said that 30 years ago. I hope that you enjoy your time there.

At first, I thought that his "LET"S GO GREEN" schtick was just to troll everyone for fun. Now I wonder if some village is missing their idiot.

I am with you.

I worked in the Daytona area for the City of Ormond Beach early in my career.. Driving down A1A with the City Manager. He pointed out an overweight guy in shorts, socks with his flip flops and burnt to a crispy. He had his wife and 3 kids all the same. He said, that is who we want to visit. He pays his bill, uses the restaurants and doesn't destroy anything. Bikers, Alpha Males, Power Drinkers, Spring Breakers and most cool groupd cost us money. Not worth having them There is a reason Spring break went away. Cost for clean up, extra security, repairs, and such made it not worth it.

Waco is doing it right. The Chip and Joanna crowd spend, tell everyone about it and don't destroy anything. I am looking forward to seeing it. And my wife will be happy to boot.
BUbearinARK
RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

I am with you.

I worked in the Daytona area for the City of Ormond Beach early in my career.. Driving down A1A with the City Manager. He pointed out an overweight guy in shorts, socks with his flip flops and burnt to a crispy. He had his wife and 3 kids all the same. He said, that is who we want to visit. He pays his bill, uses the restaurants and doesn't destroy anything. Bikers, Alpha Males, Power Drinkers, Spring Breakers and most cool groupd cost us money. Not worth having them There is a reason Spring break went away. Cost for clean up, extra security, repairs, and such made it not worth it.

Waco is doing it right. The Chip and Joanna crowd spend, tell everyone about it and don't destroy anything. I am looking forward to seeing it. And my wife will be happy to boot.
Speaking of give and take, saw this book sitting on our counter purchased by MrsDrArky. I'll be sure not to fansplain anymore as she watches all BU games with me.

forza orsi
DiCampli's does a great job. Massimo DiCampli is a legit chef from Abruzzo. Best for dinner but lunch is good too. Re Bombones, I am a huge fan. I have only been for dinner, but it was really tasty and has things that aren't found in just any Mexican restaurant.
FLBear5630
forza orsi said:

DiCampli's does a great job. Massimo DiCampli is a legit chef from Abruzzo. Best for dinner but lunch is good too. Re Bombones, I am a huge fan. I have only been for dinner, but it was really tasty and has things that aren't found in just any Mexican restaurant.
Thanks
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.