Best restaurants/bars/coffee houses in Waco: 2018-19?

5,491 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PartyBear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder why on earth Friday's has that location. I have heard it is good though. Milo's is pretty good I thought. My wife and I went there for the first time for lunch recently and no complaints about anything. Slow Rise is great out on 84 in Woodway.

I have heard good things about Pinewood. Someone from Austin told me they stopped by there and said it has a very Austin vibe.

That Union Hall is supposed to have a waffle specialty restaurant moving in there as a vendor.

BTW Guess BBQ is supposed to be opening it's brick and mortar location on Franklin soon.
Boernebear
Union Hall is supposed to have a meat market with tailgate setups. Knowing that alone, it's awesome in my book.

I'm admittedly a foodie that travels for food quite a bit, and I love the Waco food scene unlike some posters here. You just have to adjust expectations. For casual local food options, there are many great spots.

There are a number of comments about Milo. I had high hopes for this concept, and I love their space but the execution is awful. The service stinks and the food doesn't always live up to expectations (especially when they can't bring the courses out in the proper order).

Honky Tonk Kid (HTK) BBQ is legit, and their international spin on smoked meats is incredible at times. I had a moist brisket banh mi last year that blew my mind.

Just my two cents!
BearConvert
Another place that often gets missed because of its location, but has good groceries, is Butter My Biscuit!

https://www.buttermybiscuitcafe.com/
FirmBear24
baylrballa said:

Got to put in a shout out to j-petal downtown. Their poke bowls are a step above any other sushi offerings in waco. Not that it was a high bar.

Good call. Have eaten here a few times and it's consistently good. Like having a fresh option.

900 Degrees Pizzeria next door to j-petal was good the only time I went. Wood fired pizzas cooked fast. One size (11 inches) but can do regular or cauliflower crust.

HTK (Honkey Tonk Kid) BBQ right by J-Petal has been decent each time I've gone. Have some good items other than straight BBQ,

Helberg's BBQ (25th and Austin) and Guess Family BBQ (soon to be brick and mortar in the old Michna's building) both made Texas Monthly's Top 25 new joints list as did my good buddy Dustin Pustka at Pustka Family BBQ in Hutto (shameless plug for some of the best que)

Have heard good things about Tejun in Robinson but haven't been. I've had a good meal every time at Cajun Craft even if it's not "real" Cajun.,
PartyBear
900 degrees Pizzaria are the kids of Roland and Mary Duty of Poppa Rollos acclaim.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.