Hamburger

20,436 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorGuy314
Pam Manhart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going to try and move a premium board discussion over here to the free board. Debate started after the announcement of Whataburger being bought out. So, if it goes downhill, what is the best burger in Waco? In addition to Whataburger I have tried Twisted Root. Good burger, fun experience the first time, but not necessarily a great value. I have gotten recommendations to try Capt. Billy Whizzbangs, Healthcamp.
Brian is in love with Kitok's. I drove by recently. I didn't stop....
Ludwig von Missi
Health Camp has gone downhill big time imo. My dad proposed to my mom there (classy move), so i have some nostalgia for the place, but it just isn't what it once was.

There are a bunch of good burger joints in Waco. In addition to the ones you mentioned, I'd highly recommend Tom's Burgers, and Cupp's. Griff's out in China Spring has good burgers too, but they've got other menu items I usually get instead (everything at Griff's is amazing).

But my favorite in Waco is still Dubl-R. So good.
forza orsi
Cupps and Double-R are the best for a good old-fashioned no-frills burger.
BaylorGuy314
Cupps is still one of the best in Waco, in my opinion. Greasy goodness.

Captain Billy Whizbangs also great.

For national chains, I like Freddy's and Fuddruckers.
BaylorGuy314
Forza beat me to it. Can't believe I left off Dubl-R
Lund Vernquist
RIP Fat Ho
Bear8084
Cupp's for sure.

For chains: Twisted Root.

For big chains: Whataburger.
beardoc
Lund Vernquist said:

RIP Fat Ho
And from further back, Frank's Big Bear across from Allen Dawson.
Baylorbears1216
Dubl-R is the best by far, but Cupp's and Dave's Burger Barn are pretty good as well.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Lund Vernquist said:

RIP Fat Ho
how long did that gimmick last? I forgot about it.
Bear8084
From their old Yelp page. I think they missed out not calling their hot dog a ho dog:

Ashley Hodge
Staff
I like Dave's- need to hit that up next time in Waco.

Also, I like In N Out- don't @ me.
Bear8084
Ashley Hodge said:

I like Dave's- need to hit that up next time in Waco.

Also, I like In N Out- don't @ me.

In N Out is pretty good and their California theming is neat, but I think Whataburger is better when it comes to fast food burgers.
BaylorGuy314
I forgot about Dave's.

I revise my list to:

LOCAL
Cupps
Dubl-R
Dave's
Capt Billy Whizbangs

CHAIN (but honorable mention)
Fuddruckers
Freddy's
Edmond Bear
Bear8084 said:

From their old Yelp page. I think they missed out not calling their hot dog a ho dog:

I'd like a Fat Ho Named Bertha and a corn dog please.

Volunteer
Dubl' R and Dave's Burger Barn are great, but the Lip Locker and an order of oriental fries at Kitok's has no peer in town.
BaylorHistory
I think I've had them all or at least all the big names and I'd rank them

1.) Cupp's
2.) Kitok
3.) Tom's
4.) Christi's

Dubl-R and Dave's use some spice I can't stand (not sure what it is), but I can tell they're good burgers.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Volunteer said:

Dubl' R and Dave's Burger Barn are great, but the Lip Locker and an order of oriental fries at Kitok's has no peer in town.

via GIPHY

EZduzit
Pam Manhart said:

Brian is in love with Kitok's. I drove by recently. I didn't stop....

Don't judge a book by its cover...or a burger joint by how it looks on the outside. Try it, you'll like it!
BaylorGuy314
Volunteer said:

Kitok's is just not very good. I don't get the love for a mediocre burger and some fried vegetables in a building that might collapse on you at any moment. I've probably been there a dozen times in 20 years and have never left thinking it was anything other than mediocre.

Cupps is old and greasy but at least I can watch them cook my food.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

Kitok's is just not very good. I don't get the love for a mediocre burger and some fried vegetables in a building that might collapse on you at any moment. I've probably been there a dozen times in 20 years and have never left thinking it was anything other than mediocre.

You can watch Kitok's as well if you want to stand at the entrance
BaylorGuy314
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

You can watch Kitok's as well if you want to stand at the entrance
Naw, I feel like a creepster if I do that.

GoldenBear03
BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

Many things on the internet make me angry. But, once in a while, something truly hurts me. Makes me sad. You've done that to me today.
BaylorGuy314
GoldenBear03 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

Many things on the internet make me angry. But, once in a while, something truly hurts me. Makes me sad. You've done that to me today.
Hey man, honesty is always the best policy. I'm not going to commit myself to holding up the charade.
atxtraveler
Crash was also conceived in the back seat of a Buick outside Health Camp.
Bear8084
Kitoks is pretty good too, but I would still lean towards Cupps for the best burger in Waco.

And watching them cook your food? Do you walk back to the kitchen at Chili's or McDonald's to make sure they are cooking your order right?
Wineguy89
Bear8084 said:

Kitoks is pretty good too, but I would still lean towards Cupps for the best burger in Waco.

And watching them cook your food? Do you walk back to the kitchen at Chili's or McDonald's to make sure they are cooking your order right?

I think he's just saying there's some nostalgia in watch a burger made on a griddle in front of you "old style". But you point is funny!! And you can see Micky D's cook them. Not sure I'd EVER want to visit a Chili's kitchen after watching the 5 gallon "bags O Chili" being off loaded by one of their trucks once.......
Bear8084
Wineguy89 said:

Bear8084 said:

I think he's just saying there's some nostalgia in watch a burger made on a griddle in front of you "old style". But you point is funny!! And you can see Micky D's cook them. Not sure I'd EVER want to visit a Chili's kitchen after watching the 5 gallon "bags O Chili" being off loaded by one of their trucks once.......
Haha, good point.
Volunteer
BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

Heresy.

Cupp's was old and greasy a hundred years ago. I frequented the place more times than I care to remember. Maybe my most indelible memory of eating at Cupp's was watching two rather large roaches hanging out in my fries when my order was delivered. Absolutely magical.
BaylorGuy314
Volunteer said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

Heresy.

Cupp's was old and greasy a hundred years ago. I frequented the place more times than I care to remember. Maybe my most indelible memory of eating at Cupp's was watching two rather large roaches hanging out in my fries when my order was delivered. Absolutely magical.
That's what I'm talking about. Nostalgia.
WILLIS
Freddie and Sherrie do a great job at Cupps. Love BU and their student regulars. Try and get there once a year or so now. Dubl dubl
Volunteer
BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Volunteer said:

Heresy.

That's what I'm talking about. Nostalgia.
It's definitely got the market cornered on nostalgia!
Mr Tulip
I'm a really good burger cook. If I'm needing a top notch bespoke burger, I'm making it myself - along with enough for 10 other people (or a week's worth of eating hamburgers).

Other than that, burgers are fast-food. Tom's makes a delicious burger. It's rare that I'll go sit down just to eat a hamburger, though.

Put me in the pro-Kitok's camp. The tempura fries justify the "going out of the way" factor.
Dia del DougO
Cupp's is the correct answer. One of the very few untainted by time.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
Health Camp never had a notably good burger, at least not since the 80s. It was quite average at best,. more like a typical chain burger. The only real reason to go to Health Camp was the malts and shakes.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.