Local man sells 'Magnolia Ain't Waco' t-shirts to start a movement

3,800 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OsoCoreyell
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://www.centexproud.com/news/local-man-sells-magnolia-aint-waco-t-shirts-to-start-a-movement/
Volunteer
I am not a consumer of Magnolia goods or services, but they have clearly had a positive impact on the greater Waco area. Good for them. They have taken a rundown area of town and are slowly converting it into an attraction. Again, this is a good thing. Magnolia is bringing in money for Waco and that's great for the entire community.

IASIP Rocks
What a goober
MrGolfguy
He's a "future community activist"?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
OsoCoreyell
Profile: https://www.kxxv.com/news/texas-voices/texas-voices-terry-bluez

This happens every time there is "gentrification." The question is, is it better for Waco that Magnolia is here and is making massive investments in the city and community than it would be if things had remained the same? This is a pretty easy question to answer; Yes.

I think this guys is just looking for attention.
Bear8084
Volunteer said:

I am not a consumer of Magnolia goods or services, but they have clearly had a positive impact on the greater Waco area. Good for them. They have taken a rundown area of town and are slowly converting it into an attraction. Again, this is a good thing. Magnolia is bringing in money for Waco and that's great for the entire community.

This is the absolute correct answer.
trey3216
While it sometimes is annoying and causes disruptions in our normal day to day routines, and while he is correct that Magnolia isn't the only cool thing in Waco, he's stunningly incorrect in trying to take this stance. He also used Magnolia's shirt design and font in that shirt, so he's almost certainly going to get a C&D letter delivered via certified mail.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
George Truett
All I can say as one who now lives far from Waco, Magnolia has done a ton of positive for Waco.

For years Waco was known as the home of the Branch Davidian disaster.

Now, it's know as the home of Magnolia.

Looks like a good trade to me!
OsoCoreyell
George Truett said:

All I can say as one who now lives far from Waco, Magnolia has done a ton of positive for Waco.

For years Waco was known as the home of the Branch Davidian disaster.

Now, it's know as the home of Magnolia.

Looks like a good trade to me!
Amen!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

While it sometimes is annoying and causes disruptions in our normal day to day routines, and while he is correct that Magnolia isn't the only cool thing in Waco, he's stunningly incorrect in trying to take this stance. He also used Magnolia's shirt design and font in that shirt, so he's almost certainly going to get a C&D letter delivered via certified mail.
Yeah... I imagine it has hit whatever address is on file about 45 minutes ago.
PartyBear
I heard the guy interviewed over the weekend. He is actually articulate and isnt all that hostile to Magnolia actually. He spoke alot about the good things Magnolia has brought as well.
IASIP Rocks
Might be Fair Use. Also have to think about the optics of trying to shut something like that down since he will inevitably leak anything they send him to the press to try to make a story about it.

"Magnolia goes to war with man fighting to expose Magnolia-driven gentrification" is a way juicier headline than "Area man sells anti-Magnolia t-shirts".
Dia del DougO
Magnolia is Waco, but Waco ain't Magnolia, contrary to popular belief.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
ABC BEAR
I wish he would move to Austin and not keep it weird.
Grumpy
No one should lose the irony here that he is making money off of Magnolia by protesting Magnolia.
UPBaylor
Seems he has a few reasonable points, but attacking Magnolia is idiotic on several levels.

He could have just as easily come at it from a different perspective that used and embraced Magnolia instead of the hostile stance. Maybe something along the lines of "There's more to Waco than just Magnolia".
Volunteer
UPBaylor said:

Seems he has a few reasonable points, but attacking Magnolia is idiotic on several levels.

He could have just as easily come at it from a different perspective that used and embraced Magnolia instead of the hostile stance. Maybe something along the lines of "There's more to Waco than just Magnolia".

Yep. He took an absolutely stupid route. Yes, Waco is more than Magnolia but what Magnolia is doing is part of what makes Waco a great place.
Chipoople
There's always going to be people who resist change, no matter how positive it is.
SoonerFrogs
As long as they don't eff with Hewitt, it's all good
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Already flanked you in McGregor
CorsicanaBear
My address is McGregor but I pay Waco taxes. Go figure.
Illigitimus non carborundum
OsoCoreyell
PartyBear said:

I heard the guy interviewed over the weekend. He is actually articulate and isnt all that hostile to Magnolia actually. He spoke alot about the good things Magnolia has brought as well.
Then he should stop behaving in a way that makes him look like a hostile jacka**
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.