Mike Copeland: More on forthcoming entertainment complex

2,361 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Daddy
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/mike_copeland/mike-copeland-more-on-forthcoming-entertainment-complex/article_a1201fab-f55e-5cbd-8292-d6a855605848.html

Waco businessman Mark Schulman, in an interview Saturday, provided a few more details about his plans to bring a 90,000-square-foot entertainment venue to South Loop 340 and Interstate 35, where it would anchor a 300-plus-acre mixed-use development.

The Schulman's Movie Bowl Grille will have a 30-lane bowling alley; a full-service restaurant; an eight-screen movie theater with food delivery and recliners; and a game room with table tennis, pool tables, ax throwing, laser tag, ropes courses and virtual reality games.

Schulman filled in some details Saturday about the estimated $25 million to $30 million project on which he will break ground this month.

The complex will employ an estimated 250 people, including 75 full-timers.

MKT Real Estate Holdings LLC will own the entertainment venue and will play a role in developing the remaining 300-plus acres, Schulman said. 58 Aggie Development LLC will ensure it gets built, probably by next summer.

Schulman described the complex's restaurant, Billy's Grille & Bar, as a "mix of George's and Cheddar's, and maybe toss in a little bit of Texas Roadhouse or Saltgrass." The full-service restaurant will serve burgers, steaks, seafood, salads, pizza and appetizers. At least 86 craft beers will appear on the menu, and TV screens will provide an array of viewing options, he said.

"You don't have to go to the movie to eat, but you can," Schulman said.

The 30-lane bowling alley "will be geared toward open family bowling," he said. Leagues do not represent a priority.

A separate area will accommodate duckpin bowling, a variation in which bowlers use smaller balls with no finger holes.

Hoping the 340-acre site becomes popular with tourists, conventioneers and business groups, the entertainment venue will have meeting, banquet and party rooms and web conferencing.

"We have multiple hotel representatives talking with us, and there is interest in putting a hotel and conference center on this site," Schulman said. "There are a lot more people coming to Waco than there were in 1986, when I opened my first 'Schulman' here. There has been a nice build-up of hotel properties, and other high-end places are planned. But tourism has grown exponentially the past five years, which was hard to imagine.

IASIP Rocks
Well if there's one style of restaurant that Waco needs, it's a place that's a "mix of George's and Cheddar's, and maybe toss in a little bit of Texas Roadhouse or Saltgrass" that serves "burgers, steaks, seafood, salads, pizza and appetizers."
BaylorHistory
IASIP Rocks said:

Well if there's one style of restaurant that Waco needs, it's a place that's a "mix of George's and Cheddar's, and maybe toss in a little bit of Texas Roadhouse or Saltgrass" that serves "burgers, steaks, seafood, salads, pizza and appetizers."
Well you weren't expecting us to eat anything ethnic were you? I have to do a lot of convincing to get family to go with us to authentic Mexican restaurants that aren't TexMex.

This place seems nice, but we'll see if we support it.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
IASIP Rocks
Right. Or even something slightly upscale New American. But I totally get that that's not what this is, and I'm looking forward to it. Just thought it was funny.
Old300Bear
This is great and I fully support it, but what Waco really needs is one of those complexes that has Putt Putt, gokarts, batting cages, innertube boats,etc.
Fred Barber
ABC BEAR
E-Sports arenas will be the next burgeoning entertainment venues.
T-REX
Old300Bear said:

This is great and I fully support it, but what Waco really needs is one of those complexes that has Putt Putt, gokarts, batting cages, innertube boats,etc.
and a huge slide am I right?
southtexasbear
So is this different from the other entertainment complex posts mentioning Cinemark?

https://sicem365.com/forums/27/topics/48251
PartyBear
Not very different actually.
southtexasbear
PartyBear said:

Not very different actually.

I mean a different projects. Seems like there are two projects racing to get there first.
PartyBear
Yes two different projects from two different developers that sound like they are almost the same thing right across 35 from each other. Magnolia is big and Waco/McLennan County are growing but I dont think Waco is projected to do over the next 10 years the equivalent of what Frisco etc did over the past dozen years. Where those places were literally actual tiny rural towns way behind what Waco and McLennan County are now and boomed into large cities with sky scrapers, malls, concert venues etc. over a decade. Hopefully these developers have caught wind of something huge coming in to general area to cause them to think the risk is safe enough to take that there will be enough traffic etc coming through here to support both of these projects
Bear Doc
I vote Top Golf over axe throwing and mother of all chain restaurants food...
Fat Daddy
Didn't Schulman have plans for a large entertainment development in Waco about 20 years ago.... at least we got a new multi-screen theatre out of the deal.

And a Rib Crib that didn't last!

Not sure when he sold it ... but now that entertainment area is home to a few medical offices a and an automotive repair center (a very nice one).

Stranger
Fat Daddy said:

Didn't Schulman have plans for a large entertainment development in Waco about 20 years ago.... at least we got a new multi-screen theatre out of the deal.

Not sure when he sold it ... but now that entertainment area is home to a few medical offices a and an automotive repair center (a very nice one).

He got squeezed out before he ever screened his first movie
Fat Daddy
Stranger said:

Fat Daddy said:

He got squeezed out before he ever screened his first movie

By whom?

Why?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.