The Hippodrome - Way more than I remember

4,142 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yogi
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Hippodrome has turned into a really cool attraction. They have expanded to 3 theaters including a couple of dine-in theaters with reclining seats. My daughter (sophomore at Baylor) said that one of the theaters is usually $5 student tickets for first run movies.

They have a decent restaurant that has some good brunch items and a rooftop bar.

Also noticed that they have 2 or 3 music acts a week. Most of it is hit artists that my parents would like; i.e. Crystal Gayle, Bellamy Brothers, Mickey Gilley. But, they also do alot of Texas alt-country and tribute bands.
Travis Tritt at the Hippodrome

Looks like it is also an event/conference center.

I've had brunch at the Raleigh and it was good. My daughter goes to the movies there. Anyone been to a concert at The Hippodrome?

BaylorHistory
I like seeing movies there, but unfortunately with only 3 screens they're limited to only top first run super hero type movies. I wish they were a bit more "Alamo" and showed some more artsy from time to time, but I doubt the market is there for it.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Old300Bear
Edmond Bear, I am going to see the Gatlin Brothers this Thursday night. I will report on the venue after.
Fred Barber
trey3216
I've seen Robert Earl Keen, Kris Kristofferson, Clint Black, Jack Ingram/Hayes Carll, Bruce Robison/Kelly Willis, and a few others. The place is a great venue for music due to the acoustics.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CTbruin
I'm a frequent visitor. Excellent venue!!
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

I've seen Robert Earl Keen, Kris Kristofferson, Clint Black, Jack Ingram/Hayes Carll, Bruce Robison/Kelly Willis, and a few others. The place is a great venue for music due to the acoustics.

That's a great list. I'm jealous.
Old300Bear
Gatlin Brothers were great tonight. I agree about the acoustics They are really good. Will go back.
Fred Barber
Edmond Bear

How was the crowd?
CTbruin
I saw The Legends of Liverpool earlier this year. Traveling Beatles cover band out of Branson.

They were awesome. The place was packed. Great show.
forza orsi
trey3216 said:

I agree on the acoustics. Saw Kathy Mattea there a number of years ago before the renovation and about halfway through she had the sound crew turn off the mics so she could sing without amplification for a while just to show how good the acoustics were. It was really impressive.
PartyBear
BaylorHistory said:

I like seeing movies there, but unfortunately with only 3 screens they're limited to only top first run super hero type movies. I wish they were a bit more "Alamo" and showed some more artsy from time to time, but I doubt the market is there for it.
I thought I remembered more than 3 screens. Nevertheless I have seen movies there that arent geared toward kids, including teens as kids.
Edmond Bear

The Hippodrome is a freaking jewel for a town the size of Waco and I love what the owners are doing with it. Love to hear that concerts are selling well.
SoonerFrogs
hope nobody catches on. its the best place to catch a concert in waco. tickets are priced just right to keep away the riff raff.
Old300Bear
Packed house last night.
Fred Barber
trey3216
Edmond Bear said:

The Hippodrome is a freaking jewel for a town the size of Waco and I love what the owners are doing with it. Love to hear that concerts are selling well.

The cool thing is, they have people calling them and wanting to book again and again. It's awesome when you don't have to do the calling. Jack Ingram was hanging out after the show with us in the bar. He kept repeating "Dude! Tuesday night in Waco , TX!!! Had no idea we'd have 50 people here let alone 400!! I can't wait to come back"
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

Edmond Bear said:

The cool thing is, they have people calling them and wanting to book again and again. It's awesome when you don't have to do the calling. Jack Ingram was hanging out after the show with us in the bar. He kept repeating "Dude! Tuesday night in Waco , TX!!! Had no idea we'd have 50 people here let alone 400!! I can't wait to come back"

That's a cool story. Jack Ingram is someone you want running around talking positive about Waco.
trey3216
Forgot to add John Anderson to that list
CammoTX
John Anderson is awesome. Great longevity
Ludwig von Missi
Robert Earl Keen on 10/11 (Friday of Homecoming Weekend).

The Hippodrome's transformation has been fun to watch. Great concert venue, fun movie venue, or just a fun place to go sit at the bar.
SIC EM 94
Crash Davis said:

Robert Earl Keen on 10/11 (Friday of Homecoming Weekend).

The Hippodrome's transformation has been fun to watch. Great concert venue, fun movie venue, or just a fun place to go sit at the bar.

Great place for live music...already bought my REK tickets!
Iron Claw
I saw Greater Tuna there back in the mid-eighties. Didn't look this nice. Glad it's doing well and giving a community what it wants.
cowboycwr
BaylorHistory said:

They play a lot more than superhero movies.

Right now they have Dora and the lion king.

I saw finding dory there with the girl I was dating and her daughters as well.

Edit: they also play classics from time to time. Especially around Christmas time.

cowboycwr
They have competitive prices for renting out space before movies start as well. A friend of mine rented out for her husbands law school graduation party and it was nice. The food was good as well.

The restaurant is a nice view for a lunch or dinner if you just eat and don't do the movie/dinner thing.

Also a good spot for some drinks at the bar before going to another spot when they close.
lawmaker
Saw Vanilla Ice there back in 1993....oh brotha
Yogi
lawmaker said:

Saw Vanilla Ice there back in 1993....oh brotha
Word to your mother!

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.