Homestead Cafe

3,380 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yogi
bum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Worth the stop? A friend told me their breakfast is good. Since I can only afford one meal a day, I thought I might try it out. Do they have an all you can eat option?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
breakfast and lunch are great. Well worth the trip out there.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
http://www.cafehomestead.com/
HunterBear
We ate there a couple of weeks ago with a large party. Everyone really liked what they got. Their iced tea is pretty good. Eat there and then walk around to the various shops. Worthwhile visit.
Fat Daddy
Their jalapeo sweet potato soup is a must... as is their maple pecan / maple walnut ice cream!!!!
WacoKelly83
The quesadilla burger is amazing.
redfish961
Ate there Saturday for lunch.

It's worth it.
Old300Bear
Homestead has a heckofa Reuben sandwich.
Fred Barber
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Everything is locally grown, right?
4th and Inches
Brian Ethridge said:

Everything is locally grown, right?
pretty much- they have some "sister" groups in other areas that provide beef and maybe some produce
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Kyle
Everything I have had there was amazing. Shout out to the sweet potato soup and carob ice cream. The Reuben is amazing.
IASIP Rocks
Am I the only one that has heard some relatively disturbing stories coming out of that place?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
IASIP Rocks said:

Am I the only one that has heard some relatively disturbing stories coming out of that place?

It's a sect of Baptists that live frugally. That is where I grew up and then one day they started moving in. One day they'll likely own the house I grew up in if they make the right offer.
Gunny Hartman
IASIP Rocks said:

You can't just drop this and walk away like nothing happened. We're going to need to know what you're hearing

IASIP Rocks
Have heard from multiple people who have left that they are really controlling. If you are coming of age and want to leave it's basically "stay with us or we and your family will cut all ties with you". Then there's this:

https://www.texasobserver.org/heritage-of-abuse/
OldSchoolBU
there was some bad publicity a while back about the leader of the group being too authoritarian in his ways. Anabaptists have a reputation for being legalistic but as far as the restaurant is concerned, the food is fresh, healthy, reasonably priced and the place is clean. They work hard and have established a good reputation based on the quality of their services and goods.
The past is last! Be a champion today!
Fat Daddy
I have known some former members and they tell their story. I have know current members and they tell a different story. The truth may be somewhere in the middle.

For several years I knew quite a few of them and was at the property somewhat regularly due to business or having lunch.

One guy that I got to know came from Dallas and "joined" because of his work on behalf of home-schooling. I can understand him making decisions of schooling for his children.... but my question is when do they, the kids, get to decide about their life .... at 18? At 21? At 25? Ever?

The folks I met there were good folks.... many well educated and most hard working.

If you ever have a chance to go to their Easter program, do it! Those orchestra and choir is just phenomenal. We went several years and President Bush and family members were also there. They also do a Christmas program but we always had a conflict.

Regarding the child abuse things .... wouldn't doubt it ... it lurks somewhere in every church or youth organization.... not that is should happen... but it does.
BaylorHistory
Brian Ethridge said:

IASIP Rocks said:

It's a sect of Baptists that live frugally. That is where I grew up and then one day they started moving in. One day they'll likely own the house I grew up in if they make the right offer.

Their businesses generally do really well, but they'd be upset to be called baptists as we know it. I do a lot of business with them and they're super nice people who are great with money. The stories and vibe are a but unnerving though.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Coopbear
They are not Baptist but Anabaptist tradition which is more like Mennonite with a Pentecostal component. They are in the world but not of the world. Our experience over many years are they are good people who stand out in the world because of their beliefs. There is much to appreciate in the way they conduct themselves.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Coopbear said:

They are not Baptist but Anabaptist tradition which is more like Mennonite with a Pentecostal component. They are in the world but not of the world. Our experience over many years are they are good people who stand out in the world because of their beliefs. There is much to appreciate in the way they conduct themselves.
Thanks. I forgot it was Anabaptist instead of just Baptist. Either way, we always had great interaction with them and a few now live on the street I grew up on. Pretty sure they'll own it all one day.
CorsicanaBear
They would be correct to be upset to be called Baptist's because, as I understand it (that means correct me if I am wrong) they are, among other things, a Oneness group. They reject the Trinity as a polytheistic concept.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Yogi
It's probably great, and I'll give it a try, but I'll never pay $10.00 for a pancake just on the principle alone.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.