Tex-Mex

18,034 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4th and Inches
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I'm partial to a great greasy plate of enchiladas and a crispy taco while in town. El Conquistador and the El Con Deluxe usually fits the bill when I'm needing to just bury in and chow down. I know some are partial to La Fiesta, Trujillo's, and more. Don't want to hear about a chain like Rosa's in the discussion, but what are your favorite places and dishes around town.
MrGolfguy
Newish place called El Paso took over where BWW was on Franklin (across from Cheddars). Appears to be pretty good, something new to try anyway.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Coyote Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Newish place called El Paso took over where BWW was on Franklin (across from Cheddars). Appears to be pretty good, something new to try anyway.

Really? I'd say it's one of the worst restaurants in Waco. Of course, Tex Mex done by folks from Louisiana just doesn't jive.
Wineguy89
Anybody else remember Pico's (fajitas) on Valley Mills? Killer good fajitas, Queso, and hot sauce. Was owned/run by the kids of the East Coast guy who married into the La Fiesta family. Was quite successful until the kid snorted all the profits up.

Man I used to go there ALL the time!!
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
Old300Bear
My favorite is Mi Casita next to the Dominos on Hewitt Drive. Just good texmex like you get in small town Texas. Also pretty cheap.
Fred Barber
baylrballa
we like mi casita for quick tex-mex.
CammoTX
Casa de Castillo was popular when I was a student because they would serve you margaritas underage.

El Con has the best salsa and has family owned charm.

Ninfaritas used to be really strong and quite a bargain for HH back in the day.
CTbruin
El Con

No contest
Bear Doc
We are partial to Los Cucos. Good margaritas and an expansive menu including a good bit of fish/seafood options.

I personally like Don Carlos too, but my wife does not, so we hardly ever eat there.

Margarita wise, the Purple margarita at La Fiesta has still yet to be beaten in my mind...
Gold Tron
My son and his friends like El Charro Tapatio off 17th and Waco Dr. It is inexpensive and good quality authentic Mexican food. They go there after Church frequently.
canoso
Gold Tron said:

My son and his friends like El Charro Tapatio off 17th and Waco Dr. It is inexpensive and good quality authentic Mexican food. They go there after Church frequently.
What you said. Another place near there is El Ranchito on out Waco Drive at about 23rd Street.
Joe Waco
My go to in college was the taqueria arandas. It was really cheap, but tasted pretty good I think?

Been so long ago that I may be wrong on the taste. I do remember having to order in spanish though.
canoso
Joe Waco said:

My go to in college was the taqueria arandas. It was really cheap, but tasted pretty good I think?

Been so long ago that I may be wrong on the taste. I do remember having to order in spanish though.
It was a good place imo.
4th and Inches
El con is our go to for tex mex... we frequent all 3 locations but my wifes favorite is the bellmead location. She likes the queso and salsa the best at that location.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
IASIP Rocks
canoso said:

Gold Tron said:

What you said. Another place near there is El Ranchito on out Waco Drive at about 23rd Street.
Ranchito is legit. El Con's enchiladas set the standard for good ol' greasy Tex-Mex imho. The fajitas cucos at Los Cucos are really good. Big fan of the pork carnitas and bean dip at Hecho en Waco. The fish dishes at Sergio's are fantastic, although the atmosphere is horrible. The plato pacifico is my personal fave. Don't forget Leal's (off Estates in Woodway). The chili topper was roughly 85% of what I ate in high school, and their queso is my favorite in Waco. Finally, the elefante at Lolita's...mmmmmm...
BaylorHistory
You people like some terrible Mexican food.

1.) El Crucero just off the Circle on Robinson Dr
2.) Rufi's Cocina on 35th
3.) Valles on Valley Mills

For to go orders you have to hit up 3 specific locations for three different types of food

1.) Taqueria Zacatecas (LaSalle) for barbacoa torta or cabeza tacos
2.) La Milpa (LaSalle) for barbacoa nachos
3.) Taqueria Mexican Taco (Speight) for al pastor tacos

Obviously some of these aren't TexMex but that's the good stuff right there.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
canoso said:

Gold Tron said:

Are these Tex-Mex or Mexican?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Joe Waco said:

Like Taqueria Arandas chain in Houston?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorHistory said:

For to go orders you have to hit up 3 specific locations for three different types of food

I was trying to limit to Tex-Mex, but El Con is good for a greasy plate of enchiladas and crispy taco.

If I want to do Mexican or Salvadoran I don't expect El Con to have that.
BaylorHistory
Brian Ethridge said:

Joe Waco said:

It was the same chain. I liked the cabrito, but overall it was just ok to me. The sign says it's going to be turned into a Golden Chick, but it's been a bus stop for a while now.

Have to mention Panaderia Jimenez (Dutton) when talking Mexican even if it's only for pan dulce. Honestly my favorite Mexican food in town might be a combo chicken from El Norteno at Dutton and 18th (whole chicken, + beans, +rice, +tortillas, + grilled cebolla + magical jalapeno green sauce for $15) with a stop to get some pan dulce at Jimenez' on the way.

Sorry for ruining the TexMex thread with all of this Northern Mexico food, but it's my favorite.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CammoTX
RIP Siete Mares. That place was really good.
WILLIS
Casa de Castillo for greasy beef enchilada and guacamole salad old school style. Sanger Avenue. Family owned for 100 yrs or whatever
MrGolfguy
Coyote Bear said:

Really? I'd say it's one of the worst restaurants in Waco. Of course, Tex Mex done by folks from Louisiana just doesn't jive.
Sorry that you have personal issues with the owners and that seems to warp your opinion of the place.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
FirmBear24
Carne Guisada at Casa de Castillo
WILLIS
I am partial to the Antonio combination plate. Nice people there.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
FirmBear24 said:

Can't beat Guisada if done right.
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

The Diablo Tacos at Taqueria Mexican Taco are the best preemptive and morning after hangover taco on earth. They are very spicy, but full of flavor.

El Paso is not very good in my opinion, at all.

Zacatecas still has some of the best tacos around.

I like El Ranchito as well.

I won't make comments about some of the other family owned restaurants, as I'm acquaintances with a lot of them and like and dislike various ones
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
forza orsi
CammoTX said:

RIP Siete Mares. That place was really good.
It's basically still there. Sergio's on Austin Avenue between 6th and 7th is where they are now. Different name but same owner/chef, same family, 90+% the same menu. Even the same furniture, I think reclaimed from an old Chili's. Only open on Friday and Saturday night, BYOB. It's still good. We go once or twice a month.

forza orsi
BaylorHistory said:

Rufi's is legit. Best in town! (It's at 25th and Lasker, not 35th.) It's pretty much a dive as far as location and buidling. Sometimes the a/c has trouble handling dinner time when it's 100 degrees. The aporreado de res are fantastic, so it's still worth it.
Alf
Wineguy89 said:

Anybody else remember Pico's (fajitas) on Valley Mills? Killer good fajitas, Queso, and hot sauce. Was owned/run by the kids of the East Coast guy who married into the La Fiesta family. Was quite successful until the kid snorted all the profits up.

Man I used to go there ALL the time!!

Funny, I mentioned this place to my wife yesterday and was wishing they were still in business. They had the best chicken in the city and a tortilla machine in the front.
No Longer Gold
Any one remember el Colorado?

Is it still around?
FirmBear24
Brian Ethridge said:

FirmBear24 said:

Can't beat Guisada if done right.

I I try it at every Tex-Mex joint because it's different everywhere. Casa has some of the best IMHO.
Joe Waco
Brian Ethridge said:

Honestly no clue. Houston chain logo doesn't look familiar but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

And I just checked google earth? It doesn't exist anymore. Sad day . May have been taqueria Mexicana, but I coulda sworn it was Arandas. Pretty sure it even had a playground lol
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Joe Waco said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Honestly no clue. Houston chain logo doesn't look familiar but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

And I just checked google earth? It doesn't exist anymore. Sad day . May have been taqueria Mexicana, but I coulda sworn it was Arandas. Pretty sure it even had a playground lol
Yeah, would have been surprised to see them in Waco, but Los Cucos has made it's chain up to Waco.
canoso
Brian Ethridge said:

canoso said:

Gold Tron said:

Are these Tex-Mex or Mexican?
Depends on what you order. Frustrating answer, I know, but true nonetheless.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.