The Minnow

4,310 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by trey3216
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Article in the Trib today about the newest version of the Slippery Minnow at speegleville marina. Open since mid June. New manager has Common Grounds and Slo Rise Pizza cred. Anybody been yet? Sounds pretty good.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/the-minnow-restaurant-at-lake-waco-marina-back-up-and/article_161b5bee-78f8-59d2-a28c-5abd09564dc6.html
SIC EM 94
It's decent...from what I'm told it has not changed much from what it used to be. The wait for food was almost an hour last Saturday evening. They do not have their liquor license yet, so they are giving away Natural Light for free, and you can BYOB.
MrGolfguy
I thought this was a thread about the Skipper and Gilligan. Sorry.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
PartyBear
Had the Slippery Minnow been closed? I have not been since 2012.

Around the early 00s there was some other restaurant on another part of the lake more out toward the airport that was on what amounted to a really large house boat. I just recall they had great onion rings. Anyone remember that or the name of it?

Another question is there a prohibition on developing on the lake other than house boats? A Kemah Boardwalk type development would be great out on the lake or on the river in the downtown area.
WacoKelly83
PartyBear said:

Around the early 00s there was some other restaurant on another part of the lake more out toward the airport that was on what amounted to a really large house boat. I just recall they had great onion rings. Anyone remember that or the name of it

I think I remember that place. It was at the airport marina. Have no idea what happened to it.
sipembeers
WacoKelly83 said:

PartyBear said:

Around the early 00s there was some other restaurant on another part of the lake more out toward the airport that was on what amounted to a really large house boat. I just recall they had great onion rings. Anyone remember that or the name of it

I think I remember that place. It was at the airport marina. Have no idea what happened to it.

That joint is vacant, think you can still pay to fish off of it.

I remember it had a giant hole inside and you could see the water from inside. That was a long time ago. I had heard rumors that the minnow was going to be move to the airport Marina, they would probably get a bit more night visits from China spring residents. Doubt it happens though.
vg1984
My family and I went last night for the first time. We were impressed by the food. Catfish was delicious and the kids loved the chicken tenders. The only downside is we had to wait for 40 min for our food, but definitely worth the wait.
trey3216
vg1984 said:

My family and I went last night for the first time. We were impressed by the food. Catfish was delicious and the kids loved the chicken tenders. The only downside is we had to wait for 40 min for our food, but definitely worth the wait.

40 minutes isn't outrageous in a Friday/Saturday night, especially at a place like the minnow
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BearConvert
Unfortunately, the kitchen is way too small for the facility, so orders get backed up easily. Brett et al. are doing a great job trying to get it up and running with a good product, but that is one thing they just can't compensate for and I don't think they can build it out anymore.
BaylorGuy314
PartyBear said:

Another question is there a prohibition on developing on the lake other than house boats? A Kemah Boardwalk type development would be great out on the lake or on the river in the downtown area.

A lot of issues with that. Waco is designed to flood. They purposely let waco flood and stay flooded to protect water levels in other areas. So you'd have to design such an attraction to float. And even then, when it floods as it has several times over the last few years, it renders even floating restaurants unusable and impractical due to access and lack of traffic. Also, the core of engineers owns the land around the lake so you'd have to get a long term lease through them and with the way those are worded, you are very much at their mercy.

BUwolverine2012
my wife got a visit from the slippery minnow last night....

used to eat there in college, glad its still around
CooterBU
Free Natty Light last month when I payed a visit. Is there any other reason...?

Food was very good, too. Go pay Brett and co a visit. Great guy working his arse off. Peaceful place to spend a summer evening. BYOB, and, did I say free Natty Light?!
cowboycwr
BaylorGuy314 said:

PartyBear said:

A lot of issues with that. Waco is designed to flood. They purposely let waco flood and stay flooded to protect water levels in other areas. So you'd have to design such an attraction to float. And even then, when it floods as it has several times over the last few years, it renders even floating restaurants unusable and impractical due to access and lack of traffic. Also, the core of engineers owns the land around the lake so you'd have to get a long term lease through them and with the way those are worded, you are very much at their mercy.

Excellent explanation. Also, don't they discourage growth on the lake because of the fact every so often they raise the level of the lake to hold more water? I know that they haven't raised it in a few years when they brought it to its current level (which took shorter than expected to reach because of flooding) but I feel like it was the 4th time they raised the level since I came to Baylor.
beerman
Its been 13-14 years since they last raised. The project was intended to raise the level 8', but I believe they maintain it at 9-10' (mostly by holding more water). It can not be raised again, damn would struggle holding more volume.

The 2005 raising has created quite a mess around the entire lake, IMO. The Slippery Minnow is a prime example as every time the ACE holds a substantial amount of water, access to the parks is impossible. It creates a tremendous amount of stress on the marinas, Ridgewood CC's golf course and has created a lot of damage around rip rapped areas and north facing shorelines.

In hindsight, a large holding reservoir up-stream (Meridian area) would have been ideal, and possible, years ago. Also, in talking the chief engineer of the 1950's damn project, there was a silt-removing system that could have gone in for a fraction of what it would cost to install today.

Sadly, the recreation value of the lake has diminished over the years and the city itself is left with tremendous expenses in cleaning the parks and public swimming areas each year after a prolonged holding period.
WacoKelly83
Thank you for the excellent information.
Yogi
BUwolverine2012 said:

my wife got a visit from the slippery minnow last night....

And she made me breakfast in the morning, Trebek!!!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Lake Grapevine has several floating restaurants that are great
BaylorGuy314
The problem with waco is how much they let it flood and how often. I think its gotten 15' above full pool 4x in 5 years with several times it's reached 20'. And it doesn't just peak there- they tend to let it stay there for days or weeks, depending on conditions downstream.

I love the idea of a floating restaurant but seeing the minnow - which floats - inaccessible for months at a time during peak season is discouraging for growth around the lake.
william
MrGolfguy said:

I thought this was a thread about the Skipper and Gilligan. Sorry.
'.... the millionaire and his wife - the movie star, the professor and mary ann, here on gillgan's isle......'
Fetterman2024
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorGuy314 said:

The problem with waco is how much they let it flood and how often. I think its gotten 15' above full pool 4x in 5 years with several times it's reached 20'. And it doesn't just peak there- they tend to let it stay there for days or weeks, depending on conditions downstream.

I love the idea of a floating restaurant but seeing the minnow - which floats - inaccessible for months at a time during peak season is discouraging for growth around the lake.

Grapevine was 26' over and they just built a temporary walkway off styrofoam blocks and plywood.
cowboycwr
beerman said:

Its been 13-14 years since they last raised. The project was intended to raise the level 8', but I believe they maintain it at 9-10' (mostly by holding more water). It can not be raised again, damn would struggle holding more volume.

The 2005 raising has created quite a mess around the entire lake, IMO. The Slippery Minnow is a prime example as every time the ACE holds a substantial amount of water, access to the parks is impossible. It creates a tremendous amount of stress on the marinas, Ridgewood CC's golf course and has created a lot of damage around rip rapped areas and north facing shorelines.

In hindsight, a large holding reservoir up-stream (Meridian area) would have been ideal, and possible, years ago. Also, in talking the chief engineer of the 1950's damn project, there was a silt-removing system that could have gone in for a fraction of what it would cost to install today.

Sadly, the recreation value of the lake has diminished over the years and the city itself is left with tremendous expenses in cleaning the parks and public swimming areas each year after a prolonged holding period.

It doesn't seem like it was last raised that long ago but you are correct that is the last time.

I also remember they thought it would take many years to get it to the new level but heavy rain and flooding caused it to happen much sooner.

You are correct though. It seems every time the lake floods it does drastic damage to the parks.
trey3216
I did a lot of the research work pre-raising on vegetation, soils, animals, etc that would be displaced on the raising. Was hot and miserable work for free (nothing like being a student in the GIS dept!)
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.