The Lakes at University Park

2,705 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boxster
boxster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last I saw, there are a dozen or so homes and an apartment complex (The Luxe). Anyone know anything about this (failed) project?

• Who developed?
  • Who lives in the apartment complex...students, retirees, other?
  • Who lives in the single family homes...retirees, weekenders, other?
  • Any redevelopment plans for the remaining lots. Any demand?

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.5209928,-97.0931625,1145m/data=!3m1!1e3

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
BaylorGuy314
It was originally designed for active, older adults. I don't think the idea was horrible - smaller, single family homes for empty nesters that were still plenty active and wanting to live on their own with an apartment-style living facility (originally called "The Overlook" but now the Luxe) in the subdivision for those that wanted an lease option in an apartment-style near folks of similar age.

If memory serves, it came online right around 2006-07 and struggled out of the gate as the housing industry collapsed. I believe they modified the age requirements of the apartment complex to help keep it viable but it still struggled.

It was a HUD-financed project and went back to HUD, I believe. About 5 years ago, activity started picking up on it again and then - a few years ago- Stylecraft Homes starting buying lots for spec homes.

I believe the "active adult" concept is retired now and it's being marketed to all age-brackets.
baylor1999
Yep, I live here at Luxe. Lots of older people here and I found out why not too long ago lol But the younger crowd is starting to come on. Plus it is a small cul-de-sac now with all the new homes
boxster
Bylrbear said:

Yep, I live here at Luxe. Lots of older people here and I found out why not too long ago lol But the younger crowd is starting to come on. Plus it is a small cul-de-sac now with all the new homes
Are you a student? How did you find out about it?

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
boxster
BaylorGuy314 always with the local scoop. Thanks.

I think this development could be important as an indicator for future new home development close to the city center and Baylor, with post-bankruptcy lot/home prices below what a new development's prices would be. If this can't get built out, would be hard to justify rolling out new developments.

baylor1999
Was. About to graduate in August, and online
boxster
Is there any single family home construction going on right now/recently?

BaylorGuy314
boxster said:

Is there any single family home construction going on right now/recently?
Stylecraft Homes is advertising in there. I haven't been by there in several months so I can't comment if anything is literally under construction but there was some.
SSadler
I,ve been a LUXE resident for 8 years--moved out here when it was resrticted to age 55+. That restriction is no longer in tact. But I NEVER see teens/preteens except at the pool so I'm assuming they are guests and there must still be some "adult" age restriction.

No open alcolhol allowed in commons area or the pool.

Financials must be brutal. We've changed ownership/management at least 3 times in the past 8-9 years. Still has some good restrictions which make for a quiet environment--no preteen children, 10 am noise curfew. Gated if you want to pay extra for inside gate parking. Even more parking amenities (awnings and one car garages for extra $$$). Both gated parking and exterior doors are privacy FOBed.

Mostly a mix of holdover seniors from original build and graduate aged young adults.Noise restriction has lessened canine population greatly. Takes a unique type of young adult to want to live here with noise restrictions.

Pricey though. If you want well built, relative quite, beautiful pool but low party-hardy ambience, this can be your place. Most students who want social liberties and hours don't come our way.

As for the Stylecraft homes, they fill up as soon as completed. Looks pretty low budget, small. Seems like family vehicles fill most parking areas A few sorority/frat decals fill some driveways.

Fishing lakes are shallow and open to anyone who drives in to have fun catching 4" sunfish.

Appears it's just about built out though. Not sure what the occupancy is in the originai patio homes (also gated). Apartments seem to stay pretty maxed out.
UBBY
I think they have duplexes also if I'm not mistaken. Yes, it's pretty much built out. Very pretty place though.
boxster
SSadler said:

I,ve been a LUXE resident for 8 years--moved out here when it was resrticted to age 55+. That restriction is no longer in tact. But I NEVER see teens/preteens except at the pool so I'm assuming they are guests and there must still be some "adult" age restriction.

No open alcolhol allowed in commons area or the pool.

Financials must be brutal. We've changed ownership/management at least 3 times in the past 8-9 years. Still has some good restrictions which make for a quiet environment--no preteen children, 10 am noise curfew. Gated if you want to pay extra for inside gate parking. Even more parking amenities (awnings and one car garages for extra $$$). Both gated parking and exterior doors are privacy FOBed.

Mostly a mix of holdover seniors from original build and graduate aged young adults.Noise restriction has lessened canine population greatly. Takes a unique type of young adult to want to live here with noise restrictions.

Pricey though. If you want well built, relative quite, beautiful pool but low party-hardy ambience, this can be your place. Most students who want social liberties and hours don't come our way.

As for the Stylecraft homes, they fill up as soon as completed. Looks pretty low budget, small. Seems like family vehicles fill most parking areas A few sorority/frat decals fill some driveways.

Fishing lakes are shallow and open to anyone who drives in to have fun catching 4" sunfish.

Appears it's just about built out though. Not sure what the occupancy is in the originai patio homes (also gated). Apartments seem to stay pretty maxed out.
Thanks for the details. Good sign that the development is getting close to build-out. I'd love to see more non-student housing built in the vicinity of Baylor.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.