Waco: City logo covered up on George's mural

7,789 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SoonerFrogs
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Georges-told-to-remove-City-of-Waco-logo-from-mural-512871821.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10

WACO, Texas (KWTX) The City of Waco logo has been covered up on a mural painted on an outside wall of the George's restaurant on Speight Avenue.

The city sent the restaurant a letter saying the logo was trademarked.
General Manager Chris Cady says he was a little surprised by the letter.
"George's loves being a part of Waco. Obviously we didn't know about the trademark, but we're gonna do whatever needs to be done and put something great up there," Cady says.
The mural was created by a group of Baylor students back in May.
It features famous George's including country music legend George Strait, boxer George Foreman, comedian George Lopez and former Presidents George Washington, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.
Wineguy89
SMH......
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
SoonerFrogs
cover George Lopez while theyre at it, please
Brian Ethridge
Staff
No George Jefferson?
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

No George Jefferson?
At least there's no George Wallace
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Weston Rogers
SoonerFrogs said:

lol that's actually supposed to be George P Bush, but every time I see it I also see George Lopez.
ABC BEAR
Would the council let it slide if they added Boy George?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
petty, what would be the motivation for Waco to do this?
trey3216
Ashley Hodge said:

petty, what would be the motivation for Waco to do this?

Uniting 'The Brand'.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Stranger
The biggest favor Sammy could do is put a picture of the founder, George Betros in that spot. He's the reason there is even a George's. Many of us have fond memories of George Betros.

As for George Lopez, I don't even know who he is. I'd replace him with George Jones.
beardoc
Doesn't President Bush paint? Get him to redo the whole thing. That would be an awesome mural, by George.
xiledinok
George Roden in honor of the Branch Davidians.
geewago
The world is literally losing its mind.
MrGolfguy
No George Strait? or George Harrison? What about George Lucas? Biggest omission, considering we're talking about a bar, is George Wendt. Hello? Cheers?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Ashley Hodge
Staff
MrGolfguy said:

No George Strait? or George Harrison? What about George Lucas? Biggest omission, considering we're talking about a bar, is George Wendt. Hello? Cheers?
George Strait is on there
Stranger
Ashley Hodge said:

MrGolfguy said:

George Strait is on there

. . . but no George Jones.
SIC EM 94
Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

lol that's actually supposed to be George P Bush, but every time I see it I also see George Lopez.

According to Sammy Citrano, it's actually George Lopez.
Stranger
SIC EM 94 said:

Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Has George Lopez had more number one hits than George Jones? For that matter, I doubt George Strait has had as many number ones as George Jones.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Has George Lopez had more number one hits than George Jones? For that matter, I doubt George Strait has had as many number ones as George Jones.
Betros may be the only one older than Washington or Jones.
Weston Rogers
SIC EM 94 said:

Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

I guess I'll take Sammy's word, but the Trib article written about it by Mike Copeland said it was George P Bush according to Sammy.
SoonerFrogs
Stranger said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

George Strait has the record for number ones, broke Conway Twitty's record
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SoonerFrogs said:

Stranger said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

George Strait has the record for number ones, broke Conway Twitty's record
Nobody beats the panty dropper named Conway.

Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Betros may be the only one older than Washington or Jones.

Without Betros, there would be no George's
Lund Vernquist
IP lawyers: Is there a Fair Use argument to be made here?
Tiny Elvis
George Lopez smh...
cowboycwr
I don't get issues like this. The logo on the mural was not a money making thing. It wasn't using a trademark logo of the city to make money for the restaurant.

Just put a generic W or something up.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
cowboycwr said:

I don't get issues like this. The logo on the mural was not a money making thing. It wasn't using a trademark logo of the city to make money for the restaurant.

Just put a generic W or something up.

Gotta protect your brand.
PartyBear
I'm confused is this mural on George's Restaurant? If so, is the city's position that if you should paint the city's logo on your property for some reason, you can never remove it without the city's permission?
Mr Tulip
Your big problem occurs when the City doesn't step in and ask that the logo be removed.

We all like George's. No one thinks poorly if George's represents the City of Waco by displaying its logo. Pretty sure even the city council members don't care - most would approve.

Howzabout when the Showtime Club (is that still a thing) or Krush wants to display the logo? Possibly surrounding it with other characters or art?

This isn't so much about dilution. Dilution of a trademark occurs when so many people use it freely without objection from the owner that its deemed to have lost trademark value. That isn't what the City is worried about.

They're worried about that, as a municipality, if they allow one institution to use it, they'd have a hard time not discriminating against other businesses using it - even for a fee or license. They'd likely lose legal challenges to that, and it'd be an embarrassing waste of City resources to call attention to it.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Mr Tulip said:

Your big problem occurs when the City doesn't step in and ask that the logo be removed.

We all like George's. No one thinks poorly if George's represents the City of Waco by displaying its logo. Pretty sure even the city council members don't care - most would approve.

Howzabout when the Showtime Club (is that still a thing) or Krush wants to display the logo? Possibly surrounding it with other characters or art?

This isn't so much about dilution. Dilution of a trademark occurs when so many people use it freely without objection from the owner that its deemed to have lost trademark value. That isn't what the City is worried about.

They're worried about that, as a municipality, if they allow one institution to use it, they'd have a hard time not discriminating against other businesses using it - even for a fee or license. They'd likely lose legal challenges to that, and it'd be an embarrassing waste of City resources to call attention to it.

You are correct
Kyle
SoonerFrogs said:

He's the only one without significant Texas ties. #noracist
PervertedLittleTarts
Rog said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Rog said:

SoonerFrogs said:

I guess I'll take Sammy's word, but the Trib article written about it by Mike Copeland said it was George P Bush according to Sammy.

Let's just refer to it as "Mexican George" and then we're covered
BaylorRocks
Just paint it backwards. They didn't Trademark that !
MrGolfguy
Or upside down like Bear Mountain does.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
IASIP Rocks
Lund Vernquist said:

IP lawyers: Is there a Fair Use argument to be made here?

Probably. The commercial nature of the use is potentially problematic though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.