THE SUSPENSION BRIDGE -Waco 1913 flood

1,637 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CorsicanaBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
During Flooding in 1913. This photo is from the book "A Pictorial History of Waco" by Roger Conger, and appears here courtesy of The Texas Collection at Baylor. Photo by Fred Gildersleeve.

[url=https://ibb.co/hd4MpNL][/url]
Edmond Bear

That is an awesome pic. Thank you for sharing.

The Bull Durham sign. The clock tower. The building on the left with a french influence. I guess the tornado destroyed way more history than I imagined.
Volunteer
Edmond Bear said:

The Bull Durham sign. The clock tower. The building on the left with a french influence. I guess the tornado destroyed way more history than I imagined.

It destroyed many beautiful buildings and set the city back decades. It would be very interesting to see what Waco would have become without the tornado. Thankfully, we're currently seeing quite the resurgence.
whitetrash
Edmond Bear said:

Clock tower was on the old city hall that was torn down and replaced in the 1930s. There is a Bull Durham sign still visible on Elm St about 3 blocks off the river. May have been hidden lo these many years by a building next door that was torn down.
gobears20
Staff
No problem! There is so much history about Waco that I don't even know and I was born here.
4th and Inches
whitetrash said:

Edmond Bear said:

Clock tower was on the old city hall that was torn down and replaced in the 1930s. There is a Bull Durham sign still visible on Elm St about 3 blocks off the river. May have been hidden lo these many years by a building next door that was torn down.
i believe the clock is now in heritage square- they pulled an old clock from the city storage to use there...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Old300Bear
From what I have been told, in the late 1800's to early 1900's Waco was a very cosmopolitan city, probably more so than Austin. With Baylor, TCU, Paul Quinn, Toby's Business College, Waco was called the Athens of the South. While cotton was king, actual Kings and Emperors stayed at the Raleigh Hotel. The boll weevil changed all that. Waco has a truly rich and varied history.
Fred Barber
CorsicanaBear
What's truly amazing is that Waco was so far ahead of its time in environmental wokeness. There is consensus that there were no floods, tornadoes or hot summers before Global Warming. Who knew Waco was so cutting edge?
Illigitimus non carborundum
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.