Construction Update I-35

7,550 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
Ashley Hodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Edmond Bear

Move-in is Aug 22 and 23. Hope they get things cleaned up before then.
whitetrash
Edmond Bear said:

They should be through just in time for freshman move in day....for the class of 2029.
OsoCoreyell
Why are they tearing down the bridges over I-35?
PartyBear
I'm not sure what you mean but the pedestrian bridge is gone. I haven't seen it mentioned recently but I think he LED lighting is supposed to expanded to every underpass on 35 in Waco and lighting up the sides of 35 to the extent 35 is higher than the access road.
Bear Doc
OsoCoreyell said:

The way I understand it is that the finished product will make the interstate several feet higher than it currently sits and therefore the existing bridges would not have provided enough clearance. The 11th street bridge will eventually be rebuilt with higher clearance.

Unfortunately the pedestrian bridge is not coming back, but the 4th/5th underpass is supposed to be much more pedestrian friendly.
cowboycwr
OsoCoreyell said:

They are expanding 35 and the frontage roads. They needed the room for the expansion and replacing the bridges would mean longer, taller, and would need to be ADA accessible.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/downtown_waco/demolition-of-i--pedestrian-bridge-to-limit-crossing-options/article_6f835afb-d23a-5f5a-b648-c0cde5e5b4be.html
canoso
Was 11th/12th Street Bridge dynamited?
CTbruin
No
canoso
CTbruin said:

No
Thanks. From between Waco and Homestead heard 5 or 6 muffled explosions a few nights ago, very measured intervals.
CTbruin
Sounds like a regular night in Bellmead to me
trey3216
canoso said:

CTbruin said:

No
Thanks. From between Waco and Homestead heard 5 or 6 muffled explosions a few nights ago, very measured intervals.
They may have done that to blow the central truss connections in the highway median using very low amounts. but they jackhammered and craned the remaining parts.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SSadler
whitetrash said:

Edmond Bear said:

They should be through just in time for freshman move in day....for the class of 2029.
"Through???" Did you say "THROUGH" by move in day?

yeah, that's a good one!
trey3216
One things for certain, the little road that runs by Martin, Brooks and Kokernot is no longer there. It's about 2 feet deep and yet to be boarded up for pour. Will be interesting to see how they complete that in 2.5 weeks.
SSadler
For those of you coming to campus dorns, avoid the interstate at all costs. Exit interstate at loop 340 south side and go to LaSalle (yes, THAT wasteland). It's your only hope. When I 35 gets clogged at Baylor the back up bumper to bumper NOT-MOVING can reach all the way south to Hewitt.

On tay he north side exit AT LEAST at loop 340/Highway 6 EAST signs (at the round American Bank, and go all the way to LaSalle.

Fill your gas tanks in West (north) ane Eddy/Lorena on the south.

Could well be apocalyptic.

Seriously, it'd THAT much of a demolition and narrowed lane wasteland as of today and they just started demolishing 11/12th this week.

When the triple in Belmead has to come down . . . well just go to SMU or TAM instead..
trey3216
They're almost done with 11th/12th, only the steel remains and it will be gone by next week.
canoso
Bottom line? Unmitigated chaos in the BU area for quite awhile to come. Project should have been started at least 10 years ago imho.
UBBY
canoso said:

Bottom line? Unmitigated chaos in the BU area for quite awhile to come. Project should have been started at least 10 years ago imho.

Its Waco, what does anyone expect other than it to be 10 years late?
BaylorGuy314
UBBY said:

canoso said:

Its Waco, what does anyone expect other than it to be 10 years late?
It's TXDOT...but same rule applies.

perrynative
TXDOT knowing this is going to be a cluster should have included something at 340 and 6 (south) instead of having loop traffic stop at a light.
BaylorGuy314
perrynative said:

TXDOT knowing this is going to be a cluster should have included something at 340 and 6 (south) instead of having loop traffic stop at a light.

They did, at least, add some lights instead of the stop signs that were there.

4th and Inches
perrynative said:

the fact they didnt finish the expansion of the loop between williams by HP miles middle school and the hywy 6 interchange is puzzling
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
UBBY
BaylorGuy314 said:

perrynative said:

Yeah but traffic gets backed up there all the time too. They could of at least tried to make an extended turn lane for cars going right.
BaylorGuy314
UBBY said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

perrynative said:

Yeah but traffic gets backed up there all the time too. They could of at least tried to make an extended turn lane for cars going right.
Agreed.
HalibutRetro
trey3216 said:

One things for certain, the little road that runs by Martin, Brooks and Kokernot is no longer there. It's about 2 feet deep and yet to be boarded up for pour. Will be interesting to see how they complete that in 2.5 weeks.

If I remember correctly that project is going to take 3-4 months.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
I made it through in pretty much in less traffic than typical Dallas today and this is what you call bad?
TrapIt4Life
There was literally zero traffic from Highway 6 to Baylor campus on I-35 this morning, it was glorious. Not sure why it was so empty in comparison to a normal summer Monday, but I'll take it.
BaylorGuy314
Brian Ethridge said:

I made it through in pretty much in less traffic than typical Dallas today and this is what you call bad?
Live in Waco long enough and you get traffic amnesia.
HalibutRetro
TrapIt4Life said:

There was literally zero traffic from Highway 6 to Baylor campus on I-35 this morning, it was glorious. Not sure why it was so empty in comparison to a normal summer Monday, but I'll take it.
I think most of Waco is taking alternative routes at the moment.
Osodecentx
HalibutRetro said:

TrapIt4Life said:

Going to Dallas from Woodway/Hewitt, I never drive I-35. I take Loop 340 around to join I-35 near TSTC.
canoso
Osodecentx said:

HalibutRetro said:

TrapIt4Life said:

Going to Dallas from Woodway/Hewitt, I never drive I-35. I take Loop 340 around to join I-35 near TSTC.
Which itself is going to become another parking lot at times during this project, especially given the school zones.
A Grateful Bear
perrynative said:

Always confuses me that the Hiway 6 which leads northwest is the south Hiway 6 on I-35. Whenever I see references to south and Hiway 6, my first thought is always the route to Houston east of campus.
Ben Sims, TE, #8, Senior from San Antonio TX
30 catches for 241 yds, 2 TDs
1 rush for 1 yd, 1 TD
1 unassisted tackle
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022)

Javon Gipson, WR, #19, RFr from Richmond TX
2 catches for 22 yds
I committed to Baylor as a student first, athlete second.
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022 / 2021)
greggor25
With the construction of I-35 I've been going Loop 340. Of course, this weekend everyone had the same idea I did.
trey3216
greggor25 said:

With the construction of I-35 I've been going Loop 340. Of course, this weekend everyone had the same idea I did.
Weekends are brutal on Loop 340. I'd go 933 if you're really wanting to just get away from most traffic.
canoso
trey3216 said:

greggor25 said:

Weekends are brutal on Loop 340. I'd go 933 if you're really wanting to just get away from most traffic.
This. Start/finish @ Waco Drive and use the road to Elm Mott. Comes out at the best DQ in Texas, too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.