Recommendations for good craft beer and eatery

3,300 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearConvert
greggor25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to explore Waco when I come for weekends. What are some good craft beer places?

I've been to Bare Arms. (pretty good)

What places do you recommend to eat? (besides George's)
BaylorHistory
greggor25 said:

Looking to explore Waco when I come for weekends. What are some good craft beer places?

What kind of food or at least what kind of atmosphere? Are you looking for the brewery itself or is a bar with a lot of craft beers ok?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
greggor25
Mexican. American, Italian, or steakhouse

Brewery or just bars themselves.

I live in DFW and like the atmosphere like Silver Leaf in down town Fort Worth where you can get a cigar and several aged whiskey or scotch.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Bare Arms is the only brewery with a tasting room in Waco. Brotherwell does tours. Waco Ale Company opens this month.

Pinewood Roasters off Austin has a small bierhaus right next door. They have a solid selection of local/Texas beers. Salado's brewery is quite good. Belton also has Bold Republic which is supposed to be good as well.

Waco is starting to get some solid restaurants. I've mentioned Slow Rise and Moroso for pizza in the other thread. Guess BBQ is top notch. Hecho en Waco is good tex-mex along with Taqueria Mexicana Grill #9 on Valley Mills. Friday's Seafood on New Dallas HWY is great cajun.
IASIP Rocks
greggor25 said:

I live in DFW and like the atmosphere like Silver Leaf in down town Fort Worth where you can get a cigar and several aged whiskey or scotch.

Temper your expectations a bit, you're not going to find a ton here that's comparable to the food and bar selections of the metroplex, although there are some gems. Tobacco Junction in McGregor is cool. Dichotomy has good cocktails. Barnett's Pub has an incredible scotch/whiskey/bourbon selection. George's is a classic college beer joint. Z's at the Curry has overpriced drinks but it's a kind of cool venue.

For food, would recommend Moroso Wood Fired Pizza (best restaurant in town imho), Hecho en Waco, Ninfa's, or 135 Prime.
IASIP Rocks
BarleyMcDougal said:

Bare Arms is the only brewery with a tasting room in Waco. Brotherwell does tours. Waco Ale Company opens this month.

Pinewood Roasters off Austin has a small bierhaus right next door. They have a solid selection of local/Texas beers. Salado's brewery is quite good. Belton also has Bold Republic which is supposed to be good as well.

Waco is starting to get some solid restaurants. I've mentioned Slow Rise and Moroso for pizza in the other thread. Guess BBQ is top notch. Hecho en Waco is good tex-mex along with Taqueria Mexicana Grill #9 on Valley Mills. Friday's Seafood on New Dallas HWY is great cajun.

Ditto this about Pinewood Pub, great beer selection on tap. Also would strongly recommend a tasting at Balcones.
lrwells50
Barnett's
Brian Ethridge
Staff
greggor25 said:

Barnett's to wet your whistle and there are some great parts of the menu.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
greggor25 said:

Barnett's has the largest selection of whisky in the state.
IASIP Rocks
Brian Ethridge said:

greggor25 said:

Barnett's has the largest selection of whisky in the state.

And ridiculously cheap. I ate dinner there last night and a shot of Blanton's is 7.25, Eagle Rare is 5.50, and Weller 12 is 8.25. (Speaking of, the Friday dinner is pretty great. Requires reservations, but our 4-course meal last night was good and $25/person.)
bularry
8.25 for 1.5 oz of Weller 12 is a great price
airforcebear
Great brew pub in Belton...206 N. Penelope, just north of Miller's Barbecue. BOLD REPUBLIC BREWING CO.

Our family brew pub..everything done there, usually 8 or 10 brews, great food...pizza, charcouterie, etc. Incredible atmosphere...like the old Cheers on TV.

Open Wed-Sunday, closed Mon-Tuesday. Check out the FB page.

btw...did I mention that it is our family brew pub?
BearlyHeardFrom
When you say family brew pub do you mean its where your family goes to eat and drink regularly or that its owned and/or operated by members of your family?
greggor25
I'm going to try Pinewood this weekend. I'll probably stop by Barnett's too.
3rd String Kicker
Brotherwell has regular events and some live music. Lots of room to sit and drink. They also are starting a crowler club. I believe two more breweries, Southern Roots and Waco Ale Co., are now open downtown
IASIP Rocks
greggor25 said:

I'm going to try Pinewood this weekend. I'll probably stop by Barnett's too.
Well, what'd you do/think?
greggor25
Pretty good and great selection! I wan to check out Brotherwell since I see a lot of their beers on tap everywhere. Thanks for recommendation!
91 Bear
Waco Ale is open on Austin Avenue. Neat venue. Their Amber is awesome. Owned by two brothers with BU degrees. I talked to them Sat night, they are nice guys. Support our fellow alums and give them a try.
Beardawg75
There's a new place over on Elm called Revival that has a really good menu (burgers, sandwiches, etc), and they have Brotherwell on tap. Definitely worth a try when you're in town.
Boernebear
Went by Waco Ale Company last night and it looked packed around 8:30. Didn't have time to stop in this time but will certainly make it a stop during game weekends! Love having this type of spot downtown.
baylrballa
At Waco ale. First impressions after a couple flights is that it is better than the other two breweries in town. Will be interested when they put out more adventurous styles.

One of if not the best selection of 'light' beers out of a brew pub I can remember, especially just starting out.
BearConvert
Dancing Bear usually has a great selection of craft beers and the ramen food trailer behind the pub has some good grub.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.