Name That Place?

4,098 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old300Bear
SIC EM 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There used to be a concert venue in Waco, but I can't remember the name of it. It was around mid 90's thru early 2000 or so. Location was downtown, near the Hilton, and where Crickets, Ninfas, etc...are now I believe. This was back when Buzzard Billy's was in its original location I think as well.

Saw Robert Earl Keen play there one night...possibly after a Baylor/Nebraska game maybe?

Help me out...anyone remember the name of that place?
DioNoZeus
There was a place that was formerly a coffee shop (Barry's, I think) that was converted to a small venue for live music in that area around that time, but I don't remember what it was called.
EnglishBear
Burgers and Blues.
Dia del DougO
Yes, Burgers and Blues, cool concept, but run like typical Waco.

I remember all the local TV media people would sit up in the balcony and drink wine and smoke cigars and act all big-timey like they were celebrities.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PartyBear
Wild West is what you are thinking of I think but it was around 10 years ago not late 90s.
Ludwig von Missi
PartyBear said:

Wild West is what you are thinking of I think but it was around 10 years ago not late 90s.
In other words, it's not what he is thinking of.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

No.
It was Burgers & Blues. Delbert McClinton did, in fact, play there. His ownself.
I'm a Bearbacker
forza orsi
Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

No.
It was Burgers & Blues. Delbert McClinton did, in fact, play there. His ownself.
Yep. Good concept, but poorly executed and a little ahead of its time for Waco.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Dia del DougO said:

Yes, Burgers and Blues, cool concept, but run like typical Waco.

I remember all the local TV media people would sit up in the balcony and drink wine and smoke cigars and act all big-timey like they were celebrities.
LOLOLOLOL!

Pretty sure they still do that today...(cough) KWTX (cough)...talk about a group of morons.
SIC EM 94
EnglishBear said:

Burgers and Blues.

That's it...Burgers and Blues! Thank you
Yogi
EnglishBear said:

Burgers and Blues.
Formerly known as Franklin's.

Yeah, I attended Baylor in the 90's also!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
PartyBear
I mentioned Burgers and Blues on the former Waco restaurant thread. It was a good concept. Seemed like it was an imitation BB King's Blues Club the signage and logo seemed similiar just replace the BB King guitar with a sax. It wasnt open very long. Perhaps not even a year. It opened up about the same time Ninfa's Crickets etc all opened down there. I think if something like that opened now it would be successful. I thought it was Franklins after Burger's and Blues.
Dia del DougO
Is that the same building that turned into a "trendy" dance club, that used to air live on local TV late Friday or Saturday nights?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PartyBear
I'm not sure what you are talking about but you just reminded me of a little trendy bar/restaurant like next door in the back behind some steps that lead to spice. What I'm thinking of are in terms of steps may have been the main entrance to Spice actually. It was there from about 2000- 2008 (?) I cannot remember what it was called earlier this decade it was only a trendy bar no restaurant called Trojans. Trojans May still be there I have no idea what is there now.
Steely Dan
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about but you just reminded me of a little trendy bar/restaurant like next door in the back behind some steps that lead to spice. What I'm thinking of are in terms of steps may have been the main entrance to Spice actually. It was there from about 2000- 2008 (?) I cannot remember what it was called earlier this decade it was only a trendy bar no restaurant called Trojans. Trojans May still be there I have no idea what is there now.

I think Trojan Cork and Keg is still there.
Yogi
I loved Bogart's!!!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Illinois Bear
Steely Dan said:

PartyBear said:

I think Trojan Cork and Keg is still there.

It was originally named Malone's. We spent significant time in that bar. Great times.
PartyBear
Yes Malone's is the name I couldn't remember. I can't believe I forgot the name because the place reminded me of a tiny version of "Cheers" from the old tv show. I only really went for lunch and only a couple of times at night. They had a great sandwich called the beast.
Dia del DougO
PartyBear said:

Yes Malone's is the name I couldn't remember. I can't believe I forgot the name because the place reminded me of a tiny version of "Cheers" from the old tv show. I only really went for lunch and only a couple of times at night. They had a great sandwich called the beast.
Don't know it, but probably no coincidence it was a lot like Cheers and the main character of Cheers was Sam Malone.
BaylorGuy314
Malone's then Bogart's then Trojan Cork and Keg
Self Made Bear
Burgers & Blues is what started all the development down in that area. I think Randy Roberts owned it. There was virtually nothing in that area before B&B developed. Really enjoyed that place.
Old300Bear
Pretty sure Sam Moore of Sam and Dave was the opening act. I really wanted to come but it was too far from Lubbock and the timing was bad for me.
Fred Barber
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.