Topgolf

10,424 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bear Doc
Mike E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Soft opening all week. Get in before the crowds start this weekend
BylrFan
all of friday/saturday booked.
southtexasbear
BylrFan said:

all of friday/saturday booked.
even the third deck?

/s
Bear Doc
Awesome time tonight. Very cool atmosphere and different than the typical Top Golf experience but not in a bad way.

There are no holes in the targets, but rather everything is done by the "TopTracer" technology which is the way you see them track shots on the PGA Tour.

This enables them to do more and different game modes. For example, they have an Angry Birds game that I am sure my kids are gonna love and they make it easy enough that they will have success doing it.

In the other end of the spectrum, they actually have "Virtual Courses" where you can play all 18 holes of famous courses like Pebble Beach or St. Andrews.

Huge get for Waco and I have a feeling I am going to be there a lot.

As a bonus, the MBB team was all there tonight and I got to hold and take a picture with the natty trophy! Super cool. It is heavier than it looks on TV and made of higher quality materials than I thought it would be.

The picture is from the underside, which you never get to see.
SIC EM 94
Bear Doc said:

Awesome time tonight. Very cool atmosphere and different than the typical Top Golf experience but not in a bad way.

There are no holes in the targets, but rather everything is done by the "TopTracer" technology which is the way you see them track shots on the PGA Tour.

This enables them to do more and different game modes. For example, they have an Angry Birds game that I am sure my kids are gonna love and they make it easy enough that they will have success doing it.

In the other end of the spectrum, they actually have "Virtual Courses" where you can play all 18 holes of famous courses like Pebble Beach or St. Andrews.

As a bonus, the MBB team was all there tonight and I got to hold and take a picture with the natty trophy! Super cool. It is heavier than it looks on TV and made of higher quality materials than I thought it would be.

Very cool...but please tell me you also took a pic with the trophy vertical? Also, what does the little movie projector icon mean next to people's names?
Bear Doc
SIC EM 94 said:

Bear Doc said:

Very cool...but please tell me you also took a pic with the trophy vertical? Also, what does the little movie projector icon mean next to people's names?

I definitely did but still value my semi-anonymity on here so didn't post that one!
4th and Inches
SIC EM 94 said:

Bear Doc said:

i dont think i was supposed to post this... edited

It is something going on in the premium section
baylrballa
Went, good thing for Waco. Pretty smooth for an opening night.
Balls and clubs seem more neutered than usual.
Seems bigger than I was expecting in terms of bays.
Yogi
Bear Doc said:

baylrballa said:

Bear Doc said:

TopGolf set to open this Friday April 23rd in Waco. I joined today as a Platinum member. Can't wait!

reserved a bay for friday night. excited to check it out.
I am going for the soft opening on Thursday night. Will try and take some pics and post them here.

Soft opening. Gotta say I like the sound of that...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
baylrballa
3.5 hour wait this afternoon for a bay. Glad they've at least hit the ground running.
Bear Doc
baylrballa said:

3.5 hour wait this afternoon for a bay. Glad they've at least hit the ground running.

If you are planning on going a lot, you may want to consider their platinum membership. Moves you to the front of the line every time you go and they have "platinum hours" where gameplay is free (obviously not during their peak time). $2500 a year so not cheap, but you also get the same membership privileges at all the other top golfs too.
southtexasbear
baylrballa said:

Maybe they should've built the 3-story top golf instead...
forza orsi
I went this afternoon with family. A good experience overall. The wait was 2 hours, but we played mini golf and then sat down for a beer and to watch some sports. The bar area and the bays are nice. Only two complaints. The waiters don't seem to know their beers very well. They brought us the wrong beers in the bar area and then again, same mistake, in the bay. I heard the manager pointing out the error to the waitress at the bay, so at least I know they noticed. (We drank it anyway.) We mentioned something to the waitress later and she apologized and said that it had also happened to someone in the bar area a little earlier. We agreed that it had. :-)

The software was acting up quite a bit too. Registering the points and shots to someone other than the person supposedly hitting. They said that several booths were having that same issue too. No real competition so no one cared, but some people probably do. Looks like a few early kinks to work out, but still a fun time.
Volunteer
I've only been to one Top Golf ( it was in the north Dallas area). I believe is was 2 or 3 stories. How many stories is the Waco location?
trey3216
Volunteer said:

I've only been to one Top Golf ( it was in the north Dallas area). I believe is was 2 or 3 stories. How many stories is the Waco location?
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bear Doc
trey3216 said:

Volunteer said:

We built the Tiny in Waco... Not like those big ones in North Dallas, son...
trey3216
Met a buddy there fore lunch yesterday and ended up staying...a little too long. Had a good time as I always do at TG. There a few little kinks, but you could tell they were actively managing them and working through the 'just opening' frustrations.

I love the layout, and think it is highly functional for our market, and will be very successful here.
Hubbs
I talked to a friend of mine the other day that is a vendor for Top Golf. He said the concept they built in Waco is a win for the city and the company and Top Golf is pretty fired up about bringing it to similar sized markets in the US. Top Golf is able to customize it a little more to the city they build this concept in and add some local flare with artwork, etc. They are a little blown away with the response so far.
BaylorHistory
Hubbs said:

I talked to a friend of mine the other day that is a vendor for Top Golf. He said the concept they built in Waco is a win for the city and the company and Top Golf is pretty fired up about bringing it to similar sized markets in the US. Top Golf is able to customize it a little more to the city they build this concept in and add some local flare with artwork, etc. They are a little blown away with the response so far.
I think Waco would've been able to fill a regular TopGolf for a year or two with the market we have for that kind of thing right now. In the long run the smaller build was a perfect fit for Waco and will be a good model for them moving into similar markets.
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

Hubbs said:

I think Waco would've been able to fill a regular TopGolf for a year or two with the market we have for that kind of thing right now. In the long run the smaller build was a perfect fit for Waco and will be a good model for them moving into similar markets.
I would say we would've been able to fill a regular one until school started back up. This model is perfect for Waco, and it's also designed in a manner that they could actually stack a partial second level on either end if need be.
SSadler
My question may be answered in the posts above, ask and hope someone can give me a simple answer.

The TopGolf site shows prices. Is the price you pay (before or after 5 pm per hour) per hour? per buckets of balls?

I divested myself of such a stupid game 10 years ago (after having played it since high school), But I'm getting the bug again, now that I'm retired and have time to play. So a TopGolf evening or two might help me with such a foolhardy notion of buying new sticks.

Thanks.
baylrballa
SSadler said:

My question may be answered in the posts above, ask and hope someone can give me a simple answer.

The TopGolf site shows prices. Is the price you pay (before or after 5 pm per hour) per hour? per buckets of balls?

I divested myself of such a stupid game 10 years ago (after having played it since high school), But I'm getting the bug again, now that I'm retired and have time to play. So a TopGolf evening or two might help me with such a foolhardy notion of buying new sticks.

Thanks.
per hour. If you're focused on hitting and not socializing you can knock out a ton of rounds/buckets in an hour.
jason_cook
A self-serving post, but the University has inked a new partnership with Topgolf Waco. Should extend the Baylor campus and benefit our admissions efforts...

https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=223390

WACO, Texas (May 11, 2021) Baylor University today announced an innovative partnership with Topgolf Entertainment Group, a global sports and entertainment leader, as the official education partner of Topgolf Waco. The sponsorship agreement is the first between a university and Topgolf nationwide at this partnership level.

After celebrating its grand opening April 23, Topgolf Waco will onboard Baylor as its first corporate partner, with the University taking advantage of Topgolf's key demographics and excellent branding opportunities throughout the popular golf and entertainment venue.

Added to the groundbreaking three-year partnership is a first-ever branding venture for Topgolf Digital Field Naming Rights. "Baylor Field at Topgolf Waco" will be integrated into the digital replays of guest shots traced through the Toptracer technology, putting the University brand at the forefront for each of the thousands of guests that pass through the venue.

"As a company focused on building communities around the globe, we are excited to be expanding our Waco location with the introduction of Baylor Field to students, faculty and alumni," said JF Prata, chief operating officer of Topgolf Media. "Through our first-of-its kind partnership with Baylor University, we will continue to bring innovation and top-notch experiences to the Waco community and seek to showcase partnerships of this kind in future markets as well."

"This multifaceted partnership allows us to extend the Baylor campus further into the Waco community not only for local residents, but also for people who visit the University from across the country," said Jason D. Cook, Baylor's vice president for marketing and communications and chief marketing officer. "There is great alignment with the Baylor and Topgolf brands, and we saw the potential of such a partnership when Topgolf Live visited McLane Stadium earlier this spring and our Admissions team invited prospective students to such a fun event and special environment."

After the successful pilot program for Undergraduate Admissions counselors to bring prospective students and their families to the Topgolf Live event at McLane Stadium, the new partnership will expand this opportunity. Baylor admissions counselors will be able to bring select prospective students and their families to Topgolf Waco on a daily basis during specified times, aiming to position the venue as an extension of the Baylor campus.

Baylor-branded event activations will be used for student recruitment events such as Premiere, building off of recent successful activations such as the Night at the Drive-In movie events.

Additional benefits for Baylor's partnership will include static displays for four permanent Baylor-branded VIP bays, digital advertising, commercial spots on the in-venue Topgolf TV and to-be-determined discount offers for both current and prospective students and employees.

Alongside the exclusive agreement with Topgolf Waco, Baylor will have opportunities to explore additional partnership placements at other Topgolf facilities across the country that align with key recruiting areas for prospective students.

The ongoing efforts to create an intentional and purposeful connection between the City of Waco and Baylor University will continue, Cook said, as the Topgolf partnership will encourage members of the Baylor Family to live, work and play in exciting and growing areas throughout the Waco community.

"We look forward to continuing to shine a light on all that Baylor and Waco have to offer," Cook said.

Topgolf Waco is a single-level, community-focused venue featuring 30 outdoor hitting bays powered by Topgolf's proprietary Toptracer technology, which is the same ball-tracing technology seen during major golf tournaments on television. The new venue offers classic Topgolf games, iconic virtual courses, a chef-driven menu, backyard style lawn areas with fire pits and a mini golf course for a casual and enjoyable experience. The open-air concept is new to Topgolf, following similar successful designs and layouts launched in Augusta and Chattanooga earlier this year.
Bear Doc
jason_cook said:

A self-serving post, but the University has inked a new partnership with Topgolf Waco. Should extend the Baylor campus and benefit our admissions efforts...

https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=223390

WACO, Texas (May 11, 2021) Baylor University today announced an innovative partnership with Topgolf Entertainment Group, a global sports and entertainment leader, as the official education partner of Topgolf Waco. The sponsorship agreement is the first between a university and Topgolf nationwide at this partnership level.

After celebrating its grand opening April 23, Topgolf Waco will onboard Baylor as its first corporate partner, with the University taking advantage of Topgolf's key demographics and excellent branding opportunities throughout the popular golf and entertainment venue.

Added to the groundbreaking three-year partnership is a first-ever branding venture for Topgolf Digital Field Naming Rights. "Baylor Field at Topgolf Waco" will be integrated into the digital replays of guest shots traced through the Toptracer technology, putting the University brand at the forefront for each of the thousands of guests that pass through the venue.

"As a company focused on building communities around the globe, we are excited to be expanding our Waco location with the introduction of Baylor Field to students, faculty and alumni," said JF Prata, chief operating officer of Topgolf Media. "Through our first-of-its kind partnership with Baylor University, we will continue to bring innovation and top-notch experiences to the Waco community and seek to showcase partnerships of this kind in future markets as well."

"This multifaceted partnership allows us to extend the Baylor campus further into the Waco community not only for local residents, but also for people who visit the University from across the country," said Jason D. Cook, Baylor's vice president for marketing and communications and chief marketing officer. "There is great alignment with the Baylor and Topgolf brands, and we saw the potential of such a partnership when Topgolf Live visited McLane Stadium earlier this spring and our Admissions team invited prospective students to such a fun event and special environment."

After the successful pilot program for Undergraduate Admissions counselors to bring prospective students and their families to the Topgolf Live event at McLane Stadium, the new partnership will expand this opportunity. Baylor admissions counselors will be able to bring select prospective students and their families to Topgolf Waco on a daily basis during specified times, aiming to position the venue as an extension of the Baylor campus.

Baylor-branded event activations will be used for student recruitment events such as Premiere, building off of recent successful activations such as the Night at the Drive-In movie events.

Additional benefits for Baylor's partnership will include static displays for four permanent Baylor-branded VIP bays, digital advertising, commercial spots on the in-venue Topgolf TV and to-be-determined discount offers for both current and prospective students and employees.

Alongside the exclusive agreement with Topgolf Waco, Baylor will have opportunities to explore additional partnership placements at other Topgolf facilities across the country that align with key recruiting areas for prospective students.

The ongoing efforts to create an intentional and purposeful connection between the City of Waco and Baylor University will continue, Cook said, as the Topgolf partnership will encourage members of the Baylor Family to live, work and play in exciting and growing areas throughout the Waco community.

"We look forward to continuing to shine a light on all that Baylor and Waco have to offer," Cook said.

Topgolf Waco is a single-level, community-focused venue featuring 30 outdoor hitting bays powered by Topgolf's proprietary Toptracer technology, which is the same ball-tracing technology seen during major golf tournaments on television. The new venue offers classic Topgolf games, iconic virtual courses, a chef-driven menu, backyard style lawn areas with fire pits and a mini golf course for a casual and enjoyable experience. The open-air concept is new to Topgolf, following similar successful designs and layouts launched in Augusta and Chattanooga earlier this year.
So you are telling us the wait times are gonna be even longer now??? Haha. Just messing with you. Very forward thinking move on Baylor's part and certainly the demographic at play is exactly the audience you want to have engagement with.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.