East Waco heating up

10,179 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fadskier
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Drove by last weekend, taking back roads to avoid the traffic on 35, for a meeting and the hotel is going up quick. Then after the meeting Ashley, Colt, and I went to Revival. That whole area is changing. The building beside Revival looked new. The place on the corner of MLK had 3-4 U-Hauls in the parking lot.

The guy we met with owns the acreage by Brotherwell and Brazos Parking, which we were meeting about our tailgate spot, and his concept will only grow the area.

Fun to see that area flourish.
Edmond Bear

Drove up and down East Elm after moving my daughter in. Wow, there's a lot of change. New hotels, new restaurants, an outdoor axe throwing place. Couple more restaurants open and that is a legit district.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Edmond Bear said:

Drove up and down East Elm after moving my daughter in. Wow, there's a lot of change. New hotels, new restaurants, an outdoor axe throwing place. Couple more restaurants open and that is a legit district.

Yep, I went back Saturday and since I went to see my parents that is the meandering way to the house it just changes every week.
Old300Bear
What I love is that along with all the new construction, a lot of older buildings are being rehabbed instead of everything just being bulldozed. It is going to have character. Still need more unique bistro type restaurants with really good food.
I know many will disagree with this, but I really wish we had the Brazos Queen.
Fred Barber
Robert Wilson
Old300Bear said:

What I love is that along with all the new construction, a lot of older buildings are being rehabbed instead of everything just being bulldozed. It is going to have character. Still need more unique bistro type restaurants with really good food.
I agree - it would be great for someone to step in and re-do that.
jbbear
Old300Bear said:

We'll have the Lady Donell.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Hearing something else exciting.
Edmond Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

Haha! Looking forward to rooftop events!
FrankFallonCalling
FrankFallonCalling said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

Yes, agreed. And the redo of Bridge St parallel to Elm is going to be incredibly nice when complete.

Great things happening and this investment in the infrastructure will lead to more businesses coming in.
I know of one project for Bridge Street I am excited to see happen.
That's the second breadcrumb staff has dropped on this thread.

Arena? SE365 HQ?

Called it
SSadler
Brian Ethridge said:

The "Lady Kristen" ???
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SSadler said:

Brian Ethridge said:

The "Lady Kristen" ???

She's holding out for ocean cruiser.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
We're enjoying the new space

Edmond Bear

It looks great! I'll come bang on a window next time I'm in town.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Edmond Bear said:

It looks great! I'll come bang on a window next time I'm in town.

Have a few things to add and then hopefully inspection is done soon.
Baylor Pride
Curious if someone could post some photos of these developments along Elm Ave, Bridge Street and MLK.?
Baylor Alum - Class of '99
Wichitabear
Boernebear said:

Yes, agreed. And the redo of Bridge St parallel to Elm is going to be incredibly nice when complete.

Great things happening and this investment in the infrastructure will lead to more businesses coming in.
I love hearing that.
KajunKarlsdad
Robert Wilson said:

fadskier said:

I know it's called East Waco but isn't it really North of the river?
It's north of the river, it's east of the river, hell part of it is south of the river. There's not a straight line in that river, nor in Waco (largely thanks to that river).
That is a common thing. The Mississippi River runs north and south, except near where I live and the New Orleans area. I live on the west bank of the river but the river is exactly due north on the compass from my house. Everything is still called Eastbank or Westbank........but don't ask for directions in NOLA you'll be told Lakebound or Riverbound
trey3216
Robert Wilson said:

fadskier said:

It's north of the river, it's east of the river, hell part of it is south of the river. There's not a straight line in that river, nor in Waco (largely thanks to that river).
the river runs Southeast So yes, it's north of the river, but east as well (in some areas).
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Yogi
Weston Rogers said:

We will see what the long term outlook is on that neighborhood embracing the development... Let's just say it's not very popular right now.
Maybe not, but people left in dangerous, impoverished slums and want to remain in dangerous, impoverished slums cannot complain about lack of equity...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Let's just say it's not very popular right now.
The people who it's not popular with have just not yet been able to sell their property. They are raising objections in order to try to create an image of scarcity and drive up price.
Illigitimus non carborundum
CTbruin
fadskier said:

Native Wacoan here.

East Waco got the name from Hwy 84 (Waco Dr) which runs east to west. Mexia to McGregor. Waco Dr from the Brazos towards Mexia was East Waco. Long before I35.
Wichitabear
Old300Bear said:

Wife and i drove around downtown a few days ago. It is amazing how much is going on. They are building or remodeling everywhere.
wonderful. I'm super excited to hear this.
fadskier
CTbruin said:

fadskier said:

Native Wacoan here.

East Waco got the name from Hwy 84 (Waco Dr) which runs east to west. Mexia to McGregor. Waco Dr from the Brazos towards Mexia was East Waco. Long before I35.
THAT makes sense.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.