Bear Ridge reopens this Friday

16,677 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CTbruin
beerman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldenBear03 said:

Jackson Bear said:

Will the revival of Bear Ridge help upgrade and bring back the Starburst Junior Gold Tourney?

The tournament is still on in Waco, but wasn't played last year and won't be again this year because of Covid concerns.

I believe the Starburst had dropped from 1000 participants to about 350 pre-Covid. The quality of the field has dropped considerably over the years, it's really not a destination for most juniors as the exemptions available are limited snd superseded by so many other more "elite" events.

If you have a kid who likes to play and may not be comfortable competing at high-level tourneys, or can't qualify for them, it's a great experience with three days of golf at different venues and might be a great jump-start to motivate them to improve.
trey3216
Played today. Very happy with how the course is shaping out. Still a little 'stiff'. Actually was really pleased with how I got the ball today and completely pissed at my score, mostly because the greens are spazzoid right now. But I see solid rounds coming sooon.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
smueqas
Thanks for the report
tree with a spreading crown, named for its cotton-like seeds. Water damage restoration Michigan
loanbear
trey3216 said:

Played today. Very happy with how the course is shaping out. Still a little 'stiff'. Actually was really pleased with how I got the ball today and completely pissed at my score, mostly because the greens are spazzoid right now. But I see solid rounds coming sooon.
Played on Wednesday and the course is in great shape. Cottonwood did not cover their greens during the freeze and they are horrible. Bear Ridge is in much better shape. Course is almost back to as good as it was when it first opened. Very enjoyable round and greens all roll very true.
trey3216
loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

Played on Wednesday and the course is in great shape. Cottonwood did not cover their greens during the freeze and they are horrible. Bear Ridge is in much better shape. Course is almost back to as good as it was when it first opened. Very enjoyable round and greens all roll very true.
No doubt. I was only saying the greens are spazzoid because they are rocket fast right now, and approach shots are landing a bit stiff. Other than that, they are in incredible shape. Was only my second round on the year and I just absolutely stunk putting and getting the ball to stop on my approaches.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorBear20
Played on Thursday and it was great!
MrGolfguy
loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

Cottonwood did not cover their greens during the freeze and they are horrible.

I'd say most are decent to good, just played Cottonwood on Saturday. Holes 1, 3, 4, 8, 10,11, 12, 15 are the worst - mostly just black dirt instead of grass for 'greens' on those holes.
MrGolfguy
Played Cottonwood again today; the tees, fairways, and most greens are really nice; for a Muni, CC is really nice. All the rain Waco has gotten the past month is really to their benefit. Still some bad greens due to the winter storm (though they are much better than 1 month ago). Holes 1,3,4,10,11,15 are still the worst.
WILLIS
So did Waco buy it?
CTbruin
No
Stranger
CTbruin said:

No

Did anybody buy it?
I'm a Bearbacker
CTbruin
Not yet.

Not been made public if they have

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.