Just as a FYI...

2,103 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kwtx.com/2021/02/14/mclennan-county-issues-disaster-declaration-as-winter-storm-persists-r/
Eleven-League Grant
Thanks.

Just curious -- have any of you been out on the roads today (Sunday - 02/14/21) in Waco? If so, are they as bad as the County says they are? It seems the precipitation is forecast to come this evening.
BBear77
Eleven-League Grant said:

Thanks.

Just curious -- have any of you been out on the roads today (Sunday - 02/14/21) in Waco? If so, are they as bad as the County says they are? It seems the precipitation is forecast to come this evening.

Roads are icy. We had some light precipitation last night. I can hear what vehicles that are out spinning their tires as they try to go up hills in North Waco.
WacoKelly83
I was out an hour ago on estates and Hewitt Dr. Solid ice. I would advise front wheel vehicles only if you have one. Trucks were losing traction all up and down the street. No wrecks but lots of fishtailing. Be careful turning corners.
Bexar Pitts
BBear77 said:

Eleven-League Grant said:

Thanks.

Roads are icy. We had some light precipitation last night. I can hear what vehicles that are out spinning their tires as they try to go up hills in North Waco.
Same here in the Lake Air / Hillcrest area....Don't think this is gonna get better anytime soon..Hunker down and hibernate for a bit !
rclbear
Bosque shut down in Woodway.
Bearicade
Ive heard that Snow actually helps with traction on ice
Robert Wilson
I had to drive a lot today. I've got 4 wheel drive. Took it slow and easy and was fine. But saw a lot of folks spun out (mainly because they had no idea what they were doing - breaking hard on ice patches and such).
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

I had to drive a lot today. I've got 4 wheel drive. Took it slow and easy and was fine. But saw a lot of folks spun out (mainly because they had no idea what they were doing - breaking hard on ice patches and such).
Snow that is falling now is a fine powder..depends on how much ice is underneath as to traction..I'll try in the morning to get out ( front wheel drive) and see how it goes..not goin' far ! Hoping for no rolling electricity brownouts right now..Safe to say our power grid has never had as much stress as the next few hours/days..
Robert Wilson
Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

Snow that is falling now is a fine powder..depends on how much ice is underneath as to traction..I'll try in the morning to get out ( front wheel drive) and see how it goes..not goin' far ! Hoping for no rolling electricity brownouts right now..Safe to say our power grid has never had as much stress as the next few hours/days..
Yes, hopefully the stuff falling tonight will actually help.

Industrial usage will have to go to zero in Oklahoma and Texas next few days. That will not be enough. This is going to get very interesting.

Nat gas spot prices went to $400 in OK and $200 in Houston - that basically means they were out of gas. Turbines and solar are out of commission. Industrial will be down. Schools will be out, but that means residential will be up. Hard to see them avoiding rolling brownouts, but maybe somehow we get there.
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yes, hopefully the stuff falling tonight will actually help.

Industrial usage will have to go to zero in Oklahoma and Texas next few days. That will not be enough. This is going to get very interesting.

Nat gas spot prices went to $400 in OK and $200 in Houston - that basically means they were out of gas. Turbines and solar are out of commission. Industrial will be down. Schools will be out, but that means residential will be up. Hard to see them avoiding rolling brownouts, but maybe somehow we get there.
In meteorological terms..Hoping this big upper low pulls out quickly..that will bring stronger north winds behind it, but another storm system coming midweek may turn surface winds back to the South briefly..maybe if the next storm is slower than expected on approach, we might get enough time with south winds to get back above freezing for a bit..That's a longshot..but possible..
SSadler
Lake Shore Drive is stymied.

Too icy; too hilly.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Bearicade said:

Ive heard that Snow actually helps with traction on ice
it does until it melts a little then freezes again
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.