60 years ago

3,483 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TenBears
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
whitetrash
And the line at the Piccadilly stretched across the mall and out the front door.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

And the line at the Piccadilly stretched across the mall and out the front door.
Right across from the Pic was Lake Air Records..owned by a good friend of mine's family. Loved to browse the selections of "wax" while waiting for the line to decrease a bit. Remember the wavy lines on the mall's walking area? Almost made you dizzy when you looked down while walking..In the mid-late 60's they had a little shopper's train that would assist shoppers around the mall area..A school mate of mine once absconded with the train and drove it up to Richfield, where he was greeted with cheering adoration from students viewing out the windows..Crazy times those 60's!
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Seems bigger than the pic in my memory. My best memories are eating the strawberry shortcake desert from Piccadilly that I would share with my grandmother on Sundays, taking my 1 dollar allowance to TGY and buying a new Hot Wheel car and watching television in Montgomery Wards while my mother shopped for clothes.
Moondoggie
Three month old thread about the greatest Waco attraction in the last half of of the last century, and only three responses.

So sad that so few care anymore. Greatest memories of my childhood took place there. Going to bed now but promise to share why I loved it so I'm the future.,
CTbruin
Bexar Pitts said:

whitetrash said:

Right across from the Pic was Lake Air Records..owned by a good friend of mine's family. Loved to browse the selections of "wax" while waiting for the line to decrease a bit. Remember the wavy lines on the mall's walking area? Almost made you dizzy when you looked down while walking..In the mid-late 60's they had a little shopper's train that would assist shoppers around the mall area..A school mate of mine once absconded with the train and drove it up to Richfield, where he was greeted with cheering adoration from students viewing out the windows..Crazy times those 60's!
Loved Lake Air records.....where us country Midway HS boys would hang out hoping to meet some Richfield girls.
Mr Tulip
I didn't get here until 1978, and wasn't autonomous until somewhere around 1984. Goldstein's was a larger, white building at the time, and Montgomery Ward was at the other end of the mall. I bought a stereo VCR there once before heading to college.

We were Methodist, so we went home after church. My only memories of Picadilly or Luby's are hellish, interminable waiting in line with a bunch of cemetery bait only to get served what amounted to a school lunch at the end.

After the Richland Mall opened in 1980 (with three whole "hallways") and Target opened nearby in 1981, I didn't have to ride to Lake Air any more.
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

Bexar Pitts said:

whitetrash said:

Loved Lake Air records.....where us country Midway HS boys would hang out hoping to meet some Richfield girls.
There was quite a selection to pick from, wasn't there! Records, too! :-)
SSadler
And in 1961 it was out in the middle of nowhere.
BCL79
As I recall, it was pretty cutting edge. That being a "suburban" shopping center. Still a pretty novel idea in the early 60's.
TenBears
I vividly remember Picadilly, Lake Air Records and the book nook on one end. Goldstein Miguels on the other. What in the hell was in between???
Bexar Pitts
notbubbleboy said:

I vividly remember Picadilly, Lake Air Records and the book nook on one end. Goldstein Miguels on the other. What in the hell was in between???
You're pushin my memory :-) ..I know Harlik's Man's Shop...Morris Jewelers, Barber Shop..A candy store ( can't recall the name)..maybe a TG&Y variety store..Montgomery Ward...I'm drawin a blank..but that's not unusual ! Edit..Shellenberger's I believe was there before they moved to Westview ..could be wrong on that one..there was also a Safeway grocery on the East end of the mall...space became part of Montgomery Ward's when it closed.
Bexar Pitts
I asked some "geezer" compadres...they also recalled Lewis Shoes,Casual Corner, Holts, Walgreens,and a Butler's Shoe Store..The Candy store was Ande's Candies.. (spelling probably wrong) ..
MrGolfguy
BCL79 said:

As I recall, it was pretty cutting edge. That being a "suburban" shopping center. Still a pretty novel idea in the early 60's.
I remember Lake Air Mall being the 2nd indoor mall built in the state
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
whitetrash
notbubbleboy said:

As best as I can remember from its heyday in the late 60s/early 70s.

On the "front" side (closer to Bosque):

Lake Air Records
Barber shop
Thom McAn shoes
National shirt shops
Harlik's
several others I can't recall

Back side:

Book Nook
Piccadilly
Holt's
TG&Y
Walgreen's
Lewis Shoes
Grayson's

Hallmark cards were in the middle. Montgomery Ward at one end (and originally beyond MW was Safeway, before they built across Valley Mills), Goldstein's at the other end. Behind Goldstein's was the cinema, with the coolest intro music in the world:

BCL79
I believe there was a tobacco store too, pipes, tobacco, cigars, etc .... no water pipes .....
whitetrash
BCL79 said:

I believe there was a tobacco store too, pipes, tobacco, cigars, etc .... no water pipes .....

Correct. Don's Humidor was there before moving to Town West.
TenBears
Also trying to remember whether you could enter the cinema through the mall, or whether it was separate. I think my old/crapped out brain is commingling the Lake Air cinema with the theater at the "new mall".
CTbruin
Separate building
forza orsi
whitetrash said:

notbubbleboy said:

As best as I can remember from its heyday in the late 60s/early 70s.

On the "front" side (closer to Bosque):

Lake Air Records
Barber shop
Thom McAn shoes
National shirt shops
Harlik's
several others I can't recall

Back side:

Book Nook
Piccadilly
Holt's
TG&Y
Walgreen's
Lewis Shoes
Grayson's

Hallmark cards were in the middle. Montgomery Ward at one end (and originally beyond MW was Safeway, before they built across Valley Mills), Goldstein's at the other end. Behind Goldstein's was the cinema, with the coolest intro music in the world:

Others,
Bettis Art Center
South's Gift Shop
Butler's Shoes
Sherwin Williams
Bauer McAnn
Casual Corner
Morris Jewelers
Texas State Optical
TenBears
Walgreens, TSO and Sherwin Williams. The rest appear to be lost to the winds, or ether, or sands through the hourglass.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.