Downtown Development

4,111 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by UPBaylor
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Something big going up.This was taken At the corner behind Ninfa's looking toward Clifton Robinson Tower. So basically across the street from the new Fieldhouse.
Fred Barber
Edmond Bear
Old300Bear said:

Something big going up.This was taken At the corner behind Ninfa's looking toward Clifton Robinson Tower. So basically across the street from the new Fieldhouse.

The construction in the background is apartments. Nothing super exciting. Except, there are more people to support restaurants and shops on University Parks.

The Riverfront development on the other side of the apartments should be moving along.

Is there something else behind the dumpster that you are referring to?
fadskier
Wait...the new field house is not going to be on campus?!?
Old300Bear
Pure speculation on my part.
Fred Barber
BylrFan
Field house can possibly be right next to the Clifton tower, Waco is trying to incentive Baylor to move near downtown
ABC BEAR
Are the on-campus fieldhouse and Grant Hotel plans scrapped?
CTbruin
The developer of the Grant hotel has a record of good ideas and no production.

The latest on the new basketball arena is ether next to the FC, close to the river or downtown on the river.
PartyBear
Nothing has happened on the land upon which the Grant Hotel was supposed to have been built, when I last drove by the site a couple of weeks ago. Arent we in year 2 or 3 of that being "planned".
Yogi
CTbruin said:

The latest on the new basketball arena is ether next to the FC, close to the river or downtown on the river.
Good to hear from you, CT.

I wouldn't say his ideas are good. To be nice, I will use the word "lofty" instead. That property was never going to work for a 300 room hotel - and don't get me started on the Space-Yacht.

Behind Ninfa's: there are two lots that will eventually give rise to a six-story Embassy Suites and a nine-story Hyatt Place hotel, provided economic conditions improve. I think the Embassy Suites right now is more of a sure thing.

I am still for building the fieldhouse where the visitor's center is planned and calling the place "Ivy Square Garden".

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorHistory
Yogi said:

CTbruin said:

I wouldn't say his ideas are good. To be nice, I will use the word "lofty" instead. That property was never going to work for a 300 room hotel - and don't get me started on the Space-Yacht.

Behind Ninfa's: there are two lots that will eventually give rise to a six-story Embassy Suites and a nine-story Hyatt Place hotel, provided economic conditions improve. I think the Embassy Suites right now is more of a sure thing.

I am still for building the fieldhouse where the visitor's center is planned and calling the place "Ivy Square Garden".

And I thought the waits at Ninfas and Hecho en Waco were annoying now.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

Yogi said:

CTbruin said:

And I thought the waits at Ninfas and Hecho en Waco were annoying now.
I won't wait to eat at Ninfa's.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
ABC BEAR
The best use of The Grant property may be a subscription, high-end RV park with a footbridge across the river, especially if the new arena is on the other side. This would also provide good access to BB, SB and Tennis events. River shuttles to McLane could also happen.
CTbruin
ABC BEAR said:

The best use of The Grant property may be a subscription, high-end RV park with a footbridge across the river, especially if the new arena is on the other side. This would also provide good access to BB, SB and Tennis events. River shuttles to McLane could also happen.
My understanding of the proposed Grant Hotel location is on the east side of the Brazos and LaSalle close to the old Young Bros property. The site is currently a mess a near the Knife River Road Construction property. Much work would need to be done to make this site doable.
ABC BEAR
CTbruin said:

ABC BEAR said:

My understanding of the proposed Grant Hotel location is on the east side of the Brazos and LaSalle close to the old Young Bros property. The site is currently a mess a near the Knife River Road Construction property. Much work would need to be done to make this site doable.
You may be correct on that location. I thought the proposed property was West of LaSalle between MLK and the river, putting it directly across from the original arena site. If the property between MLK and the river can be amended properly, it would make an ideal location for the aforementioned RV park. Parks of this sort this close to athletic events is a fan experience amenity upgrade that would put us in the upper tier.
PartyBear
I think CT is correct and I always thought that was a bizarre location even if they did clean that entire area up.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

I think CT is correct and I always thought that was a bizarre location even if they did clean that entire area up.
CT is correct, and is also why many of us said the project would never happen.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Grinnin bear
CTbruin said:

I actually cannot think of one project he has ever carried to completion.
whitetrash
He Built the complex at 8th & Daughtrey in the late 80s that was originally a commercial strip center. Had a sandwich shop, workout club and maybe a hair salon. Died a few years later when the realization hit that no one visited a strip center 3 blocks off a major street in the middle of a neighborhood, so it sat vacant a while then got converted to apartments in the late 90s BU housing boom.
Edmond Bear
whitetrash said:

He Built the complex at 8th & Daughtrey in the late 80s that was originally a commercial strip center. Had a sandwich shop, workout club and maybe a hair salon. Died a few years later when the realization hit that no one visited a strip center 3 blocks off a major street in the middle of a neighborhood, so it sat vacant a while then got converted to apartments in the late 90s BU housing boom.

I think my wife used that hair salon when we were in school at the late 80's/early 90's. That was an odd build out and location.
Bexar Pitts
Edmond Bear said:

whitetrash said:

I think my wife used that hair salon when we were in school at the late 80's/early 90's. That was an odd build out and location.

IIRC, we used to refer to that corner as "8th and Laundromat" Also had a tiny Tusa'a grocery across the street , and the always popular "Pop's" on the NW corner. Bunch of Frat brothers lived in nearby houses..This was early 70's..FUN time to be a Baylor student!
CorsicanaBear
My only hope for the Grant Hotel project is that no vulnerable older Baylor related people (or any other kind for that matter) lost their life savings "investing" in it.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Yogi
whitetrash said:

Yeah, it might have had 3 tenants left when I first visited it.

It was like a high end big city shopping center planted right in the middle of smaller city slums.

But you could attend Baylor for 4 years and never even know it was there.

Just bizarre.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UPBaylor
CorsicanaBear said:

My only hope for the Grant Hotel project is that no vulnerable older Baylor related people (or any other kind for that matter) lost their life savings "investing" in it.

The location was very odd in terms of business generation for the hotel. It basically was going to be a Baylor hotel in that almost everyone staying there would have a connection to Baylor (doing business with Baylor or parents of students, etc.). That would sell out many weekends of the year, but be almost empty on a Tuesday in June. At least that's the way I saw it.

If it went belly up after construction, that just makes it a sad eyesore or worse.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.