Bear Ridge Selling?

34,939 Views | 250 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Wacolegend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The last rumor (probably already said in the thread) is that the City is planning on buying Lake Waco CC instead of Bear Ridge. I have 0 good sources other than random dudes in various Pro Shops and 19th Holes.
Fire Mack Rhoades. Ban all faculty yes-men.
Fat Daddy
I would think Lake Waco would be a lot cheaper. And it should be. But probably needs a ton of work.
trey3216
Wacolegend said:

The last rumor (probably already said in the thread) is that the City is planning on buying Lake Waco CC instead of Bear Ridge. I have 0 good sources other than random dudes in various Pro Shops and 19th Holes.
I hope they do. I'd love for Lake Waco to be a third viable course again at some point.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Stranger
MrGolfguy said:

1outawayBear said:

To the members and non members of Bear Ridge Golf Club.

I am excited to have Barnett's running our bar and grill.
I ask that you give them the support you have given me.

Thanks again for your support and we are committed to keep on improving Bear Ridge.

T & Sandy
Got this email also. Does the fact that it came from Tommy mean he still owns BR and the whole thing about Waco buying it was wrong?

I was wondering the same thing
I'm a Bearbacker
CTbruin
Heard yesterday from a very good "City of Waco" source that it doesn't look like the city is buying Bear Ridge.
Stranger
CTbruin said:

Heard yesterday from a very good "City of Waco" source that it doesn't look like the city is buying Bear Ridge.

so, is anybody buying it?
I'm a Bearbacker
Fat Daddy
Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

so, is anybody buying it?

Should close end of July, early August….now just need to know the year!
Weston Rogers
I have zero knowledge, but this sure sounds like Tommy or someone close to him started talking before there was any real discussions with a buyer.
beerman
CT may be correct. There apparently was a caveat for the City to close. They (both parties) want the sale to go through but the caveat didn't, or hasn't happened. There is more to the property than just the course that is important to one of the parties.
Wacolegend
Went to Cottonwood for a Chamber event. Duran - head pro - said that the City is no longer going after Bear Ridge. Sounded like it was to high of a purchase price but I'm speculating. Also mentioned that Cottonwood is in desperate need of a new irrigation system. Hopefully that doesn't happen during 2023.
FirmBear24
Heard that Barnett's is taking over kitchen and bar operations at Bear Ridge. Love the sound of that.
1outawayBear
FirmBear24 said:

Heard that Barnett's is taking over kitchen and bar operations at Bear Ridge. Love the sound of that.

Yes we got it last night

Here is the bear ridge menu.

https://www.barnettspublichouse.com/bbr?fbclid=IwAR2bZh7Xf_kg7DDHFJHQ3lcSpep-W08E8M-iMG4VEcdADl9XleG8B-tB4AY

trey3216
FirmBear24 said:

They've already got about 400 whiskeys out there. Gonna be a good addition to this side of town
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

FirmBear24 said:

They've already got about 400 whiskeys out there. Gonna be a good addition to this side of town

Yep my wife basically wants to go every other day
sipembeers
Bear ridge has sold. Legitimately. It happened.
southtexasbear
sipembeers said:

Bear Doc
sipembeers said:

Details? Glad it was not an illegitimate sale...
Wacolegend
https://wacotrib.com/sports/golf/bear-ridge-sold-to-local-ownership-group/article_91ee98f2-4255-11ec-9562-efd016c8d12c.amp.html

Looks like Gordon Swanson bought it. He's been developing lots near it so hopefully he'll keep it going
baylrballa
sounds promising to continue upward trajectory.
beerman
Local ownership group.....5-6 principals.

Swanson has owned the old Baylor facility and the 7.5 acres next to the range for 10+ years. I believe that was an integral part of his group getting the deal done.
CTbruin
Great news!

Could not ask for a better ownership group.
GoldenBear03
Old300Bear
Ate at the Grill by Barnet's Pub Saturday. It was good food and reasonably priced.
Fred Barber
1outawayBear
Old300Bear said:

Ate at the Grill by Barnet's Pub Saturday. It was good food and reasonably priced.

Great good

Not reasonably priced
beardoc
1outawayBear said:

Old300Bear said:

Great good

Not reasonably priced
The company made up for it.
baylrballa
Old300Bear said:

Made it tonight, finally. We will be back
1outawayBear
baylrballa said:

Old300Bear said:

Made it tonight, finally. We will be back

Yep we love it

Try their buffalo tacos for lunch. So ****ing good
BearCoog
Played Bear Ridge on Saturday and was quite disappointed with the condition the course was in. While I know it is still early in the season, the tee boxes were hard as rocks and half full of sand/dirt. The greens were good, which if I had to choose between greens and tee boxes, I'll choose greens any day of the week.

What really frustrated me is the cost of $71 for 18 with a cart. I know the course needs money to upkeep it, but shoot, there is absolutely no way that it is worth that. At this rate, I'll play Cottonwood every chance I get rather than here.

I really hope they can get it together because Bear Ridge has SO MUCH potential.
MrGolfguy
Cottonwood is $55 with cart now, and they don't have GPS in the carts. I agree that Bear Ridge is too pricey but at least they have GPS in the cart.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BearCoog
That's a good point about the GPS. I guess I didn't take full advantage of it since I have a range finder. I had heard Cottonwood raised their prices, but I didn't realize it was up to $55. Was just in town for the weekend and my buddies texted me last minute that they had a tee time at Bear Ridge Saturday morning.

trey3216
BearCoog said:

Played Bear Ridge on Saturday and was quite disappointed with the condition the course was in. While I know it is still early in the season, the tee boxes were hard as rocks and half full of sand/dirt. The greens were good, which if I had to choose between greens and tee boxes, I'll choose greens any day of the week.

What really frustrated me is the cost of $71 for 18 with a cart. I know the course needs money to upkeep it, but shoot, there is absolutely no way that it is worth that. At this rate, I'll play Cottonwood every chance I get rather than here.

I really hope they can get it together because Bear Ridge has SO MUCH potential.
Doesn't help that we've had very little rain since October.
1outawayBear
1outawayBear said:

To the members and non members of Bear Ridge Golf Club.

I am excited to have Barnett's running our bar and grill.
I ask that you give them the support you have given me.

Thanks again for your support and we are committed to keep on improving Bear Ridge.

T & Sandy

They have now have incorporated helberg bbq into the menu

We had it two days ago and it was just as good as eating at helberg
baylrballa
Still really enjoy having the barnetts set up over on this side of town.

Food is really good but has been inconsistent at times probably just due to the low volume. Has been corrected each time. Will continue to support.
1outawayBear
baylrballa said:

Still really enjoy having the barnetts set up over on this side of town.

Food is really good but has been inconsistent at times probably just due to the low volume. Has been corrected each time. Will continue to support.

Agreed. It's sad though they went away from having lunch there. Not it's just pre made sandwiches
SSadler
I think I'd lean a little toward the pro shop guys' insight than the 19th hole guys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.