40 years ago this week - Waco native Bill Rogers wins The Open

1,384 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BamaGoose
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Played at Royal St. Georges in Sandwich, England where they are playing the Open Championship this week. Bill was one of the best golfers in the world in 1981; that year in addition to winning the Open he won 7 times around the world (4 PGA Tour, 2 Austrailia, 1 Japan) and finished 2nd in the US Open. His wins included:
The Open Championship (2nd place Bernhard Langer)
The World Series of Golf (2nd place Tom Kite)
The Australian Open (2nd place Greg Norman)

Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BamaGoose
Golf Guy, thanks for the reminder about Bill and the gif is further evidence of what gentleman he was (is). However, it was his brother, Rick, who had the Baylor connection. Rick was one of the stalwarts of the '65-66 Baylor Golf team that won the SWC championship. David Smith, raised in Waco, was the same year as Rick and later became a PGA professional as did Rick. Another member of that team was Bob Rick's, whose name may be familiar with those who recall the Branch Davidian press conferences. Bob had important presence as one of the FBI agents in charge. Rick Rogers and David were Seniors by time I got to Baylor but they both befriended a lost Freshman who came from Hawaiit to play golf as a Bear. Thanks, golf guy, for bringing up Bill's success and that walk back in time. Bill, Rick, and Smitty wre always great gentleman and consummate PGA professionals.
beerman
Obviously he wasn't playing that crappy Cobra driver......
BamaGoose
Totally amazing that De-chumpo could be so unaware of the significance of his words. Cobra surely has a contract provision to cut him loose before he putts out on Sunday. Besides, I doubt he has played a big role in helping Cobra sell many single length iron sets.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.