Sit Akinjo til Kansas?

3,216 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Crawfoso1973
Married A Horn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have:

Kansas St
@Alabama
West Virginia

...then @Kansas 2 weeks from today

After seeing him hit the floor (not very hard), I started asking myself if he should sit until Kansas. That thing can keep nagging and that play he went down on is more or less his staple. Let it heal all the way over the next two weeks so he can come back as All-American Akinjo instead of 2 pts 4 assists Akinjo.

Plus it keeps forcing the rest of the guys to keep developing creativity and multiple different threats should we lose him for any reason later.

What do y'all think?
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
chorne68
I agree. We will need him down the stretch.
IowaBear
None of those are even guaranteed wins with him. If he's not 100% sit him until he is. The next 2 home conference games are must wins if we want to keep pace in the B12 race but not so much if we're looking at the larger picture. Imagine he will sit Tuesday at the very least
Crawfoso1973
I'm afraid he won't be the same for the rest of the season, even if he sits a couple weeks. We may have seen the last of the explosive Akinjo we enjoyed watching before the injury. I know he will get back out there and do his best to help the team, but severe tailbone injuries can take several months to heal.
BleacherBum95
Dude has cost us at least 1 conference game, and arguably that second loss too. And he almost cost the team its 3rd conference loss today. I understand that he may be the only true point guard on this team, but damn CSD your team plays so much more like a team when he's sitting.
Illinois Bear
BleacherBum95 said:

Dude has cost us at least 1 conference game, and arguably that second loss too. And he almost cost the team its 3rd conference loss today. I understand that he may be the only true point guard on this team, but damn CSD your team plays so much more like a team when he's sitting.

&ct=g
DanaDane
Speaking of injuries, is something up with JTT? He only played 11 minutes today. Flo had a good game but it's highly unusual for their split of minutes to be 29 to 11, particularly with Flo having 4 fouls.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BleacherBum95 said:

W
T
F

are you talking about?
Married A Horn
DanaDane said:

Speaking of injuries, is something up with JTT? He only played 11 minutes today. Flo had a good game but it's highly unusual for their split of minutes to be 29 to 11, particularly with Flo having 4 fouls.

Nice catch there. Didnt realize he only played 11 min. He was 2-2 shooting. Injury or if Drew doesnt like something he's doing? Hmmmm
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
DanaDane
I actually didn't notice during the game. I guess because Flo was playing well, I just didn't notice. Just caught it while reviewing the stats a few minutes ago.
Married A Horn
Its kinda an issue with an already short bench due to injuries. Yes? Idk
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
DanaDane
He played well when out there, so maybe he's just getting over a cold, flu or something and didn't feel 100% today. Didn't appear injured in any way while he was playing, at least that I noticed.
vanillabryce
BleacherBum95 said:

So did Akinjo dump you when he left Arizona?
vanillabryce
Hard to say without any of the details, but I think we sit him v KSU. Then decide if he can go v Bama, maybe limited minutes.
BUCANDOIT82
He shouldn't play until he is basically healthy. Not necessarily 100%, but good enough to go.

The fall he had today didn't seem nearly enough to cause the pain reaction he had. He's a Warrior and he will drag himself out onto the court to compete. Props! But it is up to the coaches to exercise better judgement than they did today to let him play.
BUCANDOIT82
Just like the last time we let him play when we shouldn't have, his shots were all short indicating lower back tightness.
bear2be2
BleacherBum95 said:

Such a terrible take.
Louise Romano
Depends on his pain level so it is really up to him to me bc there is nothing structurally wrong. We probably have all had back issues playing sports...pinched nerve, pulled muscle, alignment problems, etc. It's not like he has spinal stenosis or a herniated disc or so I think.

So I would say let him just take precautions and play him as much as he can go, This type injury does not get worse believe it or not. A bruise is just that. If he can go 10-12min/game til 100% then ok. If you sit him totally he runs the risk of coming back very rusty. So just let him make the call. He'll do the right thing.
Crawfoso1973
Louise Romano said:

Depends on his pain level so it is really up to him to me bc there is nothing structurally wrong. We probably have all had back issues playing sports...pinched nerve, pulled muscle, alignment problems, etc. It's not like he has spinal stenosis or a herniated disc or so I think.

So I would say let him just take precautions and play him as much as he can go, This type injury does not get worse believe it or not. A bruise is just that. If he can go 10-12min/game til 100% then ok. If you sit him totally he runs the risk of coming back very rusty. So just let him make the call. He'll do the right thing.
What evidence do you have there is nothing structurally wrong? What evidence do you have that his injury won't get worse?

A super competitive athlete like Akinjo will always try to play through injury. Very reckless to allow an athlete to "make the call" instead of following the advice of team doctors and medical professionals. Playing injured will risk making it worse and delay healing, or create other injuries in the body due to over-compensating.

Just watching him attempt to play, he is obviously playing through pain and is a shell of himself.
Bear8084
BleacherBum95 said:

The team plays better when he is on the court. That has been apparent all season.
BleacherBum95
Bear8084 said:

BleacherBum95 said:

The team plays better when he is on the court. That has been apparent all season.
Baylor gets lead up to about 12 in first half before Akinjo returns to the floor for final several minutes; Baylor goes into half up by only 5.

Baylor is a one possession battle with Oklahoma when Akinjo falls to floor and tweaks back; Baylor wins by 14.
Married A Horn
I do agree that while he is hurt and in we struggle. Was it Ok St or Tech where we were down 17 and he finally went and sat? And we almost came all the way back...

Now when he is healthy - different story.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Crawfoso1973
Ya know he has been playing injured....right?
Bear8084
BleacherBum95 said:

Bear8084 said:

BleacherBum95 said:

Baylor gets lead up to about 12 in first half before Akinjo returns to the floor for final several minutes; Baylor goes into half up by only 5.

Baylor is a one possession battle with Oklahoma when Akinjo falls to floor and tweaks back; Baylor wins by 14.

While injured.
BleacherBum95
Crawfoso1973 said:

Ya know he has been playing injured....right?
Like I've said, playing him is on the coach.
setshot
Stephen Curry injured his tailbone in exactly the same way last season, sat out for two weeks and came back and played the rest of the season with the nagging injury and the discomfort that goes with it' The judgment is not whether the injury will be made worse by aggravation - that will not be the case. The determinative factor is the pain level, and if that is reduced to a level that is not too reflective of a serious depletion of efficiency on the part of the player, he should be ready to go. The injury itself, in Curry's case, did not heal until the end of the season.
Married A Horn
It is very clear that it is still bothering him a lot
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Timbear
Sochan's return should have a very positive effect on the team. Achinjo's play may actually be a detriment to the team until he stops playing ISO ball.
Crawfoso1973
Timbear said:

Sochan's return should have a very positive effect on the team. Achinjo's play may actually be a detriment to the team until he stops playing ISO ball.
Sigh.
Timbear
Craw, everyone has their opinion. It's ok for everyone not to agree with you.
Crawfoso1973
Indeed. And thankfully our coaching staff doesn't share your opinion
hitmanmw
It is too bad Bonner is not ready for prime time to help out but he absolutely is not. The Love injury is killing us too. Gonna be thin at guard. MM time!!!
Married A Horn
With Sochan back and the way we played against KSU, I really hope coach sits him now until Kansas. I dont care too much about Alabama at this point, and we should be able to handle WVU at home without him.

That is a good long rest...
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
TXBEAR_bf
With the already established strength of schedule the Alabama game means very little. Obviously don't want to lose big, but this team is too good for that to happen, even without Akinjo. It is nice to see how Baylor has dominated the SEC challenge, so would love to keep that going.
Married A Horn
He started to show glimpses of his former self. He still has a ways to go to get back to that all-American form, but playing today was probably good and of course will definitely play come WVU. After today, I've changed my mind and think he needs to be back on the floor working out the kinks. He didnt play well and the shot is still short a lot, but I believe he is close.

But now Cryer...dang. We cant stay healthy.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.