What are chances we land Black?

1,690 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IowaBear
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2021/10/27/22748666/recruiting-experts-think-anthony-black-might-be-headed-to-oklahoma-state-big-12-recruiting
JP1037
Might depend on whether his Dad is happy with his Alma mater.

I can't imagine OSU is a real option. Why?
DanaDane
I thought we stopped recruiting him back in the early Fall. Did something change?
EvilTroyAndAbed
JP1037 said:

Might depend on whether his Dad is happy with his Alma mater.

I can't imagine OSU is a real option. Why?
Cause Boynton is a good recruiter, and they can point to a No. 1 overall draft pick last year.
IowaBear
In all fairness Cade could have attended Tulane and he would have been the #1 pick. He was essentially a lock to go #1. Boynton is a good recruiter.
RegentCoverup
It's a complicated issue. We obtained a commitment from a similar player already, that means he's not guaranteed the same distribution of minutes. The coaches are now in the complicated position of having to offer players early and move forward with commitments on a sort of first come, first serve basis.

Terry Black is a dyed-in-the-wool Baylor Bear. Legend. Damned good guy. But for this deal, he's a parent. And he has to give his son priority over what we might like as fans and alums. No shame in that.

Boynton is a nice guy. But he also hired a recruits brother to secure a commitment. Another of his assistants was convinced of money laundering felonies and deported. And his program is facing a post season ban. Interesting that none of the 'hate Baylor' okie media outlets will discuss that. But this league was founded on hypocrisy, so it's hardly new.

I'd love Anthony Black on our roster, but it's complicated.
Big12Bear
Boynton hired Cade's brother, Cannen on staff, then got Cade. The moment Cade announced he was going pro, his brother was gone. College hoops is what it is.
Big12Bear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Boynton is a nice guy. But he also hired a recruits brother to secure a commitment. Another of his assistants was convinced of money laundering felonies and deported. And his program is facing a post season ban. Interesting that none of the 'hate Baylor' okie media outlets will discuss that. But this league was founded on hypocrisy, so it's hardly new.

I'd love Anthony Black on our roster, but it's complicated.
This.
tomiathon
Man, Terry Black was my favorite player when I was a student. Would be awesome to watch his son in the green and gold. Idk if there's any chance of it happening (didn't even know he had a son who was a recruit until I saw this thread lol), but it would be cool. Have we had any father/son duos (in any sport?)
bear2be2
tomiathon said:

Man, Terry Black was my favorite player when I was a student. Would be awesome to watch his son in the green and gold. Idk if there's any chance of it happening (didn't even know he had a son who was a recruit until I saw this thread lol), but it would be cool. Have we had any father/son duos (in any sport?)
Mike Singletary's son came to Baylor, but didn't play much. James Francis' son was a Baylor contemporary of mine as well if I remember correctly. And Fred Miller's son was on our line this season as a grad transfer.

I'm sure there are more, but those were the first three that came to mind.
RegentCoverup
To clarify further:

In the early years, we took the best player we could get our mitts on. And we had plenty of Baylor alums and affiliates to help with that. Anyone remember this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henson_(basketball) Highly recruited, we were mentioned early because of a family connection. But we were still just getting started. So we were LONG shots.

The difference is, now we're the type of program where that player will not pass us over without a second thought.

So it creates a different problem, which is, do you take two similar players knowing their styles may not fit? Or how do you rank the elite against one another?

Great problems to have, but problems nonetheless.
TWD 1974
tommie said:

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2021/10/27/22748666/recruiting-experts-think-anthony-black-might-be-headed-to-oklahoma-state-big-12-recruiting
Does anyone know if he is playing the 2 or the 3 this year?

Problem with recruiting 5 stars is the expectation of starting game one. If KB or Sochan return, they will get top minutes at the 3, and we are loaded at the 2, between Love and George (not to mention LJ and Adam who has one more year of eligibility).
Losing Akinjo, I can see Drew looking for a veteran PG as the number one priority for next year.
BUCANDOIT82
I expect all of the fourth year players to leave and turn Pro.
IowaBear
Unless JTT and Flagler are wanting to turn pro overseas they aren't leaving. Zero chance eithers drafted throw Akinjo in there as well. All 3 are good enough to play overseas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.