More Gonzaga talk about Big 12

1,622 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
historian
Curious that there is so much talk about Gonzaga joining but it's only talk so far & it's being reported regularly by the media. I wonder if that is deliberate.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Stefano DiMera
Yormark playing chess while others playing checkers. There's an end game here that probably none of us here have thought about.
historian
I think maybe so.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Russell Gym
There's no doubt it's intentional. Easily could have stayed secret until an announcement, if that was the desire.
CorsicanaBear
Basketball only members would eventually destroy the Big 12. Fooling with that concept is not playing 3D chess, it's playing with fire.
chorne68
I do not approve. Bad for them and us.
LIB,MR BEARS
CorsicanaBear said:

Basketball only members would eventually destroy the Big 12. Fooling with that concept is not playing 3D chess, it's playing with fire.
how so? I've read a couple people saying that but haven't read any explanations as to how.
DanaDane
Keep your eyes wide open. He ain't done with just Gonzaga. Yorkmark's connected on the East Coast, knows how East Coast TV execs love basketball, and that a basketball league that included existing Big 12 and Big East teams or Big East type teams, whether through an alliance or some other structure, would be a very attractive and highly revenue generating proposition.

Everyone is stuck in 1970s thinking that conferences have to have the same teams in both football and basketball. That may not be the thinking in the 2020s.

Yormark is smart enough to know he can't battle the B1G or SEC football models very well, but he also knows he has some attractive pieces on the basketball side.
LIB,MR BEARS
Watch ESPN's 30 for 30 Requiem For The Big East. I think that is the goal.

Football will probably hope to be a solid #3 conference with basketball being the dominant conference
Media Bear
Redbrickbear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Watch ESPN's 30 for 30 Requiem For The Big East. I think that is the goal.

Football will probably hope to be a solid #3 conference with basketball being the dominant conference

That would certainly be a interesting strategy for Big 12 survival.

Become the #1 basketball conference in the nation while also being the #3 football conference.

Would certainly position the Big 12 ahead of the PAC and the ACC
historian
historian
The Big 12 is already the dominant basketball conference in the country. Adding Gonzaga won't change that. It might make the conference stronger for now, but so will the new members coming in next year. The absence of the traitors will not significantly diminish that status.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.