Bridges

5,643 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Johnny Bear
Johnny Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dude thus far has been totally underwhelming at best and was basically a no show in the two games at Vegas. How much longer does Drew keep starting him or for that matter even giving him significant minutes if he doesn't quickly snap out of it?
LIB,MR BEARS
Johnny Bear said:

Dude thus far has been totally underwhelming at best and was basically a no show in the two games at Vegas. How much longer does Drew keep starting him or for that matter even giving him significant minutes if he doesn't quickly snap out of it?
we don't see practices.
Johnny Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Johnny Bear said:

we don't see practices.

We do see games.
LIB,MR BEARS
Johnny Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Johnny Bear said:

we don't see practices.

We do see games.
…and a national championship banner that has barely had time to get any dust on it. I'll believe Drew before my own eyes….

or yours.
DallasBear9902
Chill out. It takes time to learn any system. He's out there thinking right now. As he becomes more comfortable with rotations and what he's supposed to do on both ends, you should see an improvement in performance.

The point is not to go undefeated. It is to peak in March. We're going to need Bridges come March so heneeds to keep playing.
Big12Bear
Team high 4 assists in 16 minutes yesterday. 3 point stroke will come around. I'm not worried.
IowaBear
Until I see him do something in big games I'll worry. Same stuff happened at WV. Misses a few early 3s or makes a boneheaded play and his head just completely leaves the game and he becomes a liability. I trust Drew to get it straightened out. Interested in what he looks like vs Marquette
Big12Bear
What are your expectations of him?

WV Hoops was tough to watch last year, so I only saw him in the two meetings against BU and he contributed. I don't have huge expectations for him and 0 points yesterday was disappointing. I just don't get the need to worry so early.

chorne68
He has been very good all his career. He will be OK.
DanaDane
JB -- Your comment about the no show this weekend is valid, but I'm not sure it matters whether or not he's starting unless you're thinking it will give him some type of psychological push. As you know, Drew's scheme is to basically have 8 starters so even if he didn't start he'd still come in at the 15 minute mark rotation along with Josh O and Bonner, then check out around the 10 minute mark and then back in at the 5 minute mark. He'd basically be playing the same amount of minutes, just without the name of starter.

I think the frustrating part for many of our fans is gonna be the expectation of him filling in as a 4, since that's the position we truly need. Unfortunately, he's not a 4 and even he has said he views himself more of a 2 than even a 3. That's basically why he got sideways with Huggins. Of course, if he's gonna be a 3 or even envisions himself as a 2, he's gotta bury some of the wide open 3's he's missed. Hopefully that will come around. The Marquette and Gonzaga games will be telling.

I think it's becoming more evident with each game that Lohner is gonna have to be the closest to a bruising 4 we have. When Bridges is in the game, it's going to be more of a finesse lineup.

Just my thoughts!
Mothballs
This is the time of year when Drew experiments with lineups and rotations. It's time to give Lohner a start and bring Bridgers in off the bench. Let's see what happens... definitely wouldn't hurt.
bear2be2
Mothballs said:

This is the time of year when Drew experiments with lineups and rotations. It's time to give Lohner a start and bring Bridgers in off the bench. Let's see what happens... definitely wouldn't hurt.
I disagree. I think you want your bench guys to be instant energy, "provide a spark" guys, and Bonner, Lohner and Josh are best suited for those roles. Our starting lineup doesn't need Bridges to be anything more than he is. It will score with or without him contributing. But there will be games where we do need our bench players to kick the team into gear and I don't want to be leaning on someone as inconsistent as Bridges in that role.
Johnny Bear
DanaDane said:

JB -- Your comment about the no show this weekend is valid, but I'm not sure it matters whether or not he's starting unless you're thinking it will give him some type of psychological push. As you know, Drew's scheme is to basically have 8 starters so even if he didn't start he'd still come in at the 15 minute mark rotation along with Josh O and Bonner, then check out around the 10 minute mark and then back in at the 5 minute mark. He'd basically be playing the same amount of minutes, just without the name of starter.

I think the frustrating part for many of our fans is gonna be the expectation of him filling in as a 4, since that's the position we truly need. Unfortunately, he's not a 4 and even he has said he views himself more of a 2 than even a 3. That's basically why he got sideways with Huggins. Of course, if he's gonna be a 3 or even envisions himself as a 2, he's gotta bury some of the wide open 3's he's missed. Hopefully that will come around. The Marquette and Gonzaga games will be telling.

I think it's becoming more evident with each game that Lohner is gonna have to be the closest to a bruising 4 we have. When Bridges is in the game, it's going to be more of a finesse lineup.

Just my thoughts!

Points taken - but if he truly thinks of himself or wants to be a "2" he transferred to the wrong place unless the goal is to be deep bench - as we have far better rotation options at that position. We need production out of him at the 3 or 4 spot - especially in games where the shots aren't falling for the back court. I understand giving it more time (the OP was about how long does Drew give it to turn around) but if he continues to not produce and just be a liability on the floor, Lohner should at least get more minutes and perhaps we use Bridges mainly when we need to "go small". Also, perhaps there's a 4 guard option we could go with giving Love more of a chance to produce. Finally, I do get it that Drew certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt to figure it out.
DanaDane
I don't take it that you're questioning Drew. You're asking a valid question, adding insight and making observations like any fan would. I never understand the people who think one comment, observation or question is an attempt to slander the coaching staff.

I think you'll see us go to 4 guards at some point later on in the year depending on the team we're playing. We did it for a short period last night but Drew had to get Love out quickly because he is a liability on D right now due to his inability to move laterally and cover, which left UCLA open to 3 bury consecutive shots and reduce our lead at the time. I had hoped his knee would be further along (and I have no doubt he does too), but unfortunately that's one of those things that differs by individual. He's getting some good, albeit brief, exposure now which will help later on as his mobility hopefully improves.

I think Drew will figure out an appropriate mix with Lohner and Bridges. The other 9 teams in the Big 12 have different strengths and weaknesses, so there will undoubtedly be games where Lohner is called on to play a bigger role and the same with Bridges.
IowaBear
Welcome to life on the MBB message board. You can't post an opinion or thought without a few posters saying your questioning the staff blah blah. Same few posters do this regularly
DanaDane
Yeah, I don't get why sometimes a simple statement morphs into a Oh You Must Hate Drew!" accusation. To each his own, I guess. Everyone is susceptible to an emotional moment from time to time, but I figure most everyone in here want nothing but success for Drew and his staff. We are a small school so if anyone is here posting on our boards, I figure they must enjoy something about Baylor or otherwise they'd be spending time somewhere else. Of course you get the occasional troll, but those are usually easy to spot with a recent join date.
IowaBear
It's impossible not to root for Drew. Can't wait to see how this year plays out
LIB,MR BEARS
DanaDane said:

Yeah, I don't get why sometimes a simple statement morphs into a Oh You Must Hate Drew!" accusation. To each his own, I guess. Everyone is susceptible to an emotional moment from time to time, but I figure most everyone in here want nothing but success for Drew and his staff. We are a small school so if anyone is here posting on our boards, I figure they must enjoy something about Baylor or otherwise they'd be spending time somewhere else. Of course you get the occasional troll, but those are usually easy to spot with a recent join date.
For clarification, is the emotional moment the knee-jerk "Bridges shouldn't start" or the "Drew knows more than me"?
DanaDane
My comment wasn't about you or you questioning JB. It was a statement in general about all of the boards.
LIB,MR BEARS
DanaDane said:

My comment wasn't about you or you questioning JB. It was a statement in general about all of the boards.
uhhh, I knew that. I knew that. I was just demonstrating the knee-jerk thing. Please try to keep up.
DanaDane
Fre3dombear
IowaBear said:

Welcome to life on the MBB message board. You can't post an opinion or thought without a few posters saying your questioning the staff blah blah. Same few posters do this regularly

I hear its worse slummin over on the paid side
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

I don't take it that you're questioning Drew. You're asking a valid question, adding insight and making observations like any fan would. I never understand the people who think one comment, observation or question is an attempt to slander the coaching staff.

I think you'll see us go to 4 guards at some point later on in the year depending on the team we're playing. We did it for a short period last night but Drew had to get Love out quickly because he is a liability on D right now due to his inability to move laterally and cover, which left UCLA open to 3 bury consecutive shots and reduce our lead at the time. I had hoped his knee would be further along (and I have no doubt he does too), but unfortunately that's one of those things that differs by individual. He's getting some good, albeit brief, exposure now which will help later on as his mobility hopefully improves.

I think Drew will figure out an appropriate mix with Lohner and Bridges. The other 9 teams in the Big 12 have different strengths and weaknesses, so there will undoubtedly be games where Lohner is called on to play a bigger role and the same with Bridges.
I wish Love was a little further along in his recovery because we could use a bigger, stronger guard like him as the second "big" in a four-guard lineup. At 6-5, 210, he can be a little more physical than most of our other guards can.

But right now, he's just having a lot of trouble with lateral movement on D. You can see flashes of his skill set on offense. He just needs to get healthy, so he can defend at an adequate level. I think the patience will pay off for him and Baylor fans eventually, though. He's going to be a fun one to watch next season.
Crawfoso1973
DanaDane said:

Bonner and Key are bigger guards who are good on the boards, so I agree, I could easily see situational 4 guard lineups. Lohner might also be tasked to play some small ball 5. I have hope for Bridges, but we have multiple lineup options if he is unable to contribue. Bridges doesn't have a high motor, but Drew has had success coaxing production from this type of player. As recently as KB last season, and Perry Jones from a decade ago.
Mitch Henessey
Crawfoso1973 said:

DanaDane said:

Bonner and Key are bigger guards who are good on the boards, so I agree, I could easily see situational 4 guard lineups. Lohner might also be tasked to play some small ball 5. I have hope for Bridges, but we have multiple lineup options if he is unable to contribue. Bridges doesn't have a high motor, but Drew has had success coaxing production from this type of player. As recently as KB last season, and Perry Jones from a decade ago.
Don't forget Terry Maston in between those two guys, as well.
Crawfoso1973
Bridges was much more active today, particularly on the offensive glass.
Mothballs
Crawfoso1973 said:

Step down in competition and stepped his play. Hasn't this always been the knock on him?
Crawfoso1973
Mothballs said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

Step down in competition and stepped his play. Hasn't this always been the knock on him?
All we have to go on is one game at a time. He doesn't need to be a superstar to be an effective player for us.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

Mothballs said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

All we have to go on is one game at a time. He doesn't need to be a superstar to be an effective player for us.
And we're talking about a very small sample at this point. Let's let the guy play 10-15 games and settle into his role on a new team before we come to any firm conclusions.
IowaBear
You can never have to many scorers. Saying otherwise is silly/ we're relying heavily on 3 guys to score almost soo our points. If we can get Bridges to be a reliable 12 point a game scorer that will only help us in the long run. There's going to be nights where Cryer and Flag are off. Relying on them to score 50 combined nightly isn't a great recipe against good teams. Don't care what Bridges does against the cupcakes. That means nothing. I care what he does against real competition and he's 0-fer so far. Small sample size and tons of chances for improvement
Crawfoso1973
Flag / Cryer / Key will be heavily relied upon to score the vast majority of our points. And that will not change. When your top scorers are are as elite as those 3, I'm ok with that.

Bridges will have plenty of open looks if he sticks with the starting unit with those 3 elite scorers demanding so much defensive attention. Once his corner 3 starts falling, I could easily see an efficient 9 points per game from him on average.

Moreso than scoring, our coaches need to coax him to play with a bit more energy on the defensive end and on the boards. Bonner and Lohner supply energy for the second unit. Bridges needs to provide a bit more energy for the starting unit.
IowaBear
When your defense is as bad as ours is you needs multiple guys who can score. We have 3 guys who you know are going to get there's. We're going to need consistent contributions from a 4th (wouldn't be saying this If we had a solid defense) this isn't your typical Drew team that can rely on excellent defense. There's going to be nights more often than not where we're going to have to our score teams with scores into the 80's. Defense will likely improve somewhat as the tear goes on but we don't have great M2M defenders. It's going to be hard to beat good teams regularly with Bridges putting up goose eggs. And yes I agree Bridges energy needs to be taken up several notches as competition increases
Crawfoso1973
I don't disagree. My point was that Bridges won't be a guy who needs to go out and look to score. Playing in the starting unit with those 3 guards he will be able to get plenty of open looks. That should come once he gets a rhythm hopefully before too long. Looking at the boxscores from last season, he had plenty of double digit scoring efforts agains big 12 competition so he is definately capable.

I agree our defense hasn't been great so far, but I feel this will improve. Team defense typically requires longer to to get up to speed with to many new faces. We won't be as good as in years past but even if we are only 75% as good as in past seasons we can make a deep run in the tournament given our guard play and offensive firepower.
IowaBear
Ohh topic a bit but the defensive struggles are why I wish we had a guy like Osun Osunniyi at Iowa State complete eraser on the defensive end. He would mask a lot of our struggles. Love Flo but he's the type of guy who I think would make this years BU squad unstoppable
Mothballs
bear2be2 said:

Mothballs said:

I disagree. I think you want your bench guys to be instant energy, "provide a spark" guys, and Bonner, Lohner and Josh are best suited for those roles. Our starting lineup doesn't need Bridges to be anything more than he is. It will score with or without him contributing. But there will be games where we do need our bench players to kick the team into gear and I don't want to be leaning on someone as inconsistent as Bridges in that role.

Anymore questions?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.