Bridges

5,590 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Johnny Bear
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothballs said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothballs said:

This is the time of year when Drew experiments with lineups and rotations. It's time to give Lohner a start and bring Bridgers in off the bench. Let's see what happens... definitely wouldn't hurt.
I disagree. I think you want your bench guys to be instant energy, "provide a spark" guys, and Bonner, Lohner and Josh are best suited for those roles. Our starting lineup doesn't need Bridges to be anything more than he is. It will score with or without him contributing. But there will be games where we do need our bench players to kick the team into gear and I don't want to be leaning on someone as inconsistent as Bridges in that role.

Anymore questions?
I still don't want Bridges coming in and trying to provide a spark. Give Lohner the lion's share of the minutes, but he has more value off the bench.
IowaBear
Got laughed at by the boards know it alls for calling bridges what he is. Overhyped and overplayed. Dude brings nothing but bricks and a bad attitude
LIB,MR BEARS
Are post players supposed to catch the ball
Crawfoso1973
Bridges has been a lightning rod for criticism, and perhaps deservedly so. He was huge for us last night despite his struggles from downtown. All we need from him is a 3 and D stretch 4. Provide energy on defense and the boards, and for him to rediscover his stroke from beyond the arc. As a freshman at WV he hit 48% from downtown which is elite. Give us some grit defensively and on the boards and give us a consistent corner 3. Perfect complement to our starting unit and those 3 guards who demand so much defensive attention creating wide open looks for him.
Quinton
Great rebound and clutch free throws.

Still cannot hit anything from the floor and needs to pick up the rebounding. Right now George is a much better rebounder than Bridges.. need that to shift. Guy has to pull down more boards and loose balls to contribute. High motor will never be there but needs to find a way to stay up and in the game throughout.

Shot might come although could just be one of those guys who can't do it in the games. Fortunately his free throw shooting has been very good. The outside shot needs to hit to open up this offense when he is on the floor.
DanaDane
I don't want to beat this kid down because I think he gives his all, and his FT shooting last night was just pure clutch. The issues with the 3's are apparent to everyone. He's never been as bad of a shooter from 3 statistically as what he's been so far, so you'd think the stats would start trending higher.

The one thing that still perplexes me, though, is that in many instances he is not only wide open from 3 but he also has a direct lane wide open to the hoop (largely because no one fears scoring from our 4 and 5 so they trap and press our sets out farther, almost to center court) along the baseline but doesn't take it. He has decent handles and he's silky smooth in terms of body speed (reminds me of Kendall), so it seems at times he could just drive to the basket for a lay-in, a short jumper or draw contact and go to the line. Maybe I'm just seeing bad angles on TV? I've been wrong before.
hitmanmw
He's now 1 out of his last 19…
chorne68
He was close to 40% from the three point line last year.
Mitch Henessey
If you recall, Matthew Mayer was shooting something like 17% from 3 last season through the first 12 or so games. He rebounded to finish somewhere around 33% for the year. Not his 41% from the year prior, but respectable.

Bridges just needs to play his way through it.
BUBradley
Hes doing better in almost every stat this year vs career.

9 PT (+1.5)
4.2 REB (even)
1.3 AST (+0.6)
47.5 FG% (+2%)
17.2 FG3% (-15.8%)
77 FT% (-1.4%)

Player Efficiency Rating 19.5 (+2)
historian
Bridges will improve. Drew knows what he's doing.

They may be few & far between but he has had his moments.
Crawfoso1973
Is a 3 and D guy, so far without the 3 and without the D

Hopefully we get one or the other

Both would be a huge bonus. Our staff would agree
Crawfoso1973
I think it's time that everyone put more respect in this man's name. He has turned a corner for us. During conference games he is averaging around 10 points and 7 boards and more important passes the eye test as far as energy and body language. His 3 still isn't falling, but that's no longer keeping him from mixing it up on the glass and playing good defense. Every game he seems more comfortable and plays with more motor. I think we were all too hard on him for the simple fact he is not KB, Mayer, or Sochan. He isn't as good as those guys obviously, but is a competent big 12 starter who keeps playing better and better. The perception of Bridges is similar to how Akinjo was viewed last year. Akinjo was great for us, an all-conference caliber PG but treated with disdain by many on this board since he could never measure up to trio of Butler / Teague / Davion.
LIB,MR BEARS
10 points, 11 boards vs WVU
Fre3dombear
Plus he didn't back down on that rebound he was slammed to the ground on and he also snubbed it up the wvu fans ass with their F Bridges chant I had to mute on my tv due to little ears
bear2be2
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Bridges is settling into a role for us, which is good. It's not the role we necessarily envisioned for him, but it's still a valuable one.

If Cryer can continue to make strides and get back to where he was offensively, we don't need Bridges to be dynamic scorer. We only need him to take out the trash. He can do that. He has been the last few games.

I didn't really think Bridges would be a gritty D and rebound guy, but he can help the team that way. And with a healthy Flagler, George and Cryer, we'll get enough scoring/outside shooting from them that we won't need him to be substantially more.
Crawfoso1973
bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Bridges is settling into a role for us, which is good. It's not the role we necessarily envisioned for him, but it's still a valuable one.

If Cryer can continue to make strides and get back to where he was offensively, we don't need Bridges to be dynamic scorer. We only need him to take out the trash. He can do that. He has been the last few games.

I didn't really think Bridges would be a gritty D and rebound guy, but he can help the team that way. And with a healthy Flagler, George and Cryer, we'll get enough scoring/outside shooting from them that we won't need him to be substantially more.
Agreed, that wasn't at all Bridges' game to start the season. But with each and every game, he is slowly starting to embrace the role of glue guy willing to do the dirty work (which is exactly what this team needs).
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Agreed, that wasn't at all Bridges' game to start the season. But with each and every game, he is slowly starting to embrace the role of glue guy willing to do the dirty work (which is exactly what this team needs).
I think everyone thought at the beginning of the season that Lohner would be better suited for that role, but as the season has gone on, Bridges has gotten tougher and Lohner's deficiencies have been magnified. It's basically Bridges or bust at this point. Lohner will be good for a hustle play or two each game, but he can't be counted on for anything else.
Mothballs
bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Johnny Bear
Playing now a lot more like the player we thought he was going to be the last couple of games. Night and day difference. Hopefully he can keep it up and build on it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.