AP Poll - Baylor #7

2,660 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MashedPotatoes
BUBradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm surprised we didn't drop more but glad we are still in the top 10!

BUBradley
Johnny Bear
BUBradley said:

I guess the voters realize that Virginia was previously being decidedly underrated.
JP1037
Johnny Bear said:

BUBradley said:

I guess the voters realize that Virginia was previously being decidedly underrated.
And decidedly fortunate.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BUBradley said:

Why? We lost a game, but we turned around and beat a top 10 team. Those were four top 12 teams in one place. One team was going home 0-2, UCLA in this instance, and they're still a potential Final Four team.
TXBEAR_bf
No doubt UCLA is going to be really good by March. A lot of their talent is really young. They present a lot of matchup challenges with their guard length at 2-3.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
DanaDane
College basketball is gonna be fun this year. There is no great team that stands head and shoulders above everyone else. There are about 16-18 really, really good teams who will battle it out all year long. The Top 15 or so will be constantly changing because, other than Houston (and its AAC schedule), all the others are in leagues where they will drop a game here and there. Every team has a weakness or two that could be exploited on the right night and by the right team.
WA Jim
Best most complete team in college basketball right now (early season of course):

Arizona
Married A Horn
Think we move to #4 this week? Maybe #5 at worst?
IowaBear
Unlikely, Purdue will jump us and rightfully so. Probably 6 again
Big_Pumpin

Houston #1, Purdue #5, UNC free falls

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll
Alf
Big_Pumpin said:

Houston #1, Purdue #5, UNC free falls

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll

Purdue had 8 #1 votes. At this point they have the best resume and should be #1.
Married A Horn
Well, should be able to finally stop talking about Gonzaga now.
contrario
Married A Horn said:

Well, should be able to finally stop talking about Gonzaga now.
For now. Once they go undefeated or almost undefeated in their mediocre conference, we will hear about the great comeback by Few and company.
DanaDane
If I had a vote in the poll just based on all the games I've watched, this is what it would be:

1. Purdue
2. Arizona
3. Virginia
4. UConn
5. Houston (they'll jump higher once I've seen them compete against a good team)
6. Texas
7. Baylor
8. Creighton
9. Tennessee
10. Arkansas

I haven't seen IU, so they are ineligible for my poll.

Purdue has been far and away the most impressive team I've seen. They have some difficult size matchups and as long as those guards keep playing the way they've been playing, they are a tough team. But as I said above, there are no singular great teams. Anyone in my current Top 10 could beat anyone else.

Quinton
Largely agreed. Would put Tex above Houston but not much changed outside of this.

Strange this year that voters are so prone to move teams up huge after big performances (agree with this more fluid approach) but will sit teams higher for longer that just haven't proven much yet. Gonzaga was too high last week and after this week Houston should fall a few spots behind teams with real wins (Purdue/UConn/Va) after looking average to poor multiple games.

Every team has weaknesses this year. Purdue has looked good. Agreed also on UConn so far. They look to be a complete balanced team with size and play with consistent intensity.
DanaDane
Yeah, I don't disagree. I almost had Texas above UH. Very impressed with what I see from the Horns on D so far. I should have penalized Houston even more for the way they played against Kent State and Oregon.

I haven't seen IU play, but I've looked at the boxscores. Other than Xavier, they've basically played patsies. I'll be interested to see how they fare against UNC.

KU appears to be a lot like us -- if the shots are falling from the outside, they're lethal. If not, they don't have much from the paint to make up for it.

Duke looks off. Not sure what it is yet, maybe it's just the yearly turnover and youth that potentially gets better over time. But the pieces don't look like they fit, at least for now.

UNC is perplexing. You can see loads of talent on the floor, but not a lot of basketball IQ. Half the team has a disinterested look. Maybe they just assume they'll wake up in March again, turn on the lights and cruise to a Final Four? I don't know.
gobears20
Staff
Smashmouth
Goodbye top 10. We looked like a bunch of chops out there tonight. Hope we can pull it together before Friday.
BusyTarpDuster2017
I think Baylor should have their top 10 streak continued.

After all, they did play like number two tonight.
Big_Pumpin
55 straight weeks Baylor has been in the top 12 of AP poll
MashedPotatoes
Big_Pumpin said:

55 straight weeks Baylor has been in the top 12 of AP poll
The amazing top ten streak is over, but top 12 for 55 weeks isn't too bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.