Zone defense

988 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LagunaBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Do you think we will see more of the zone defense this year? It seemed to cause problems for UCLA when we went to it. It's not my favorite defense but can be good at times. I don't remember if we even ran zone last year.
BUBradley
I think it will depend on who we are playing and how well it works for us. It has worked pretty well against UCLA so I can imagine them trying out again.
BUCANDOIT82
We should play more zone. We don't have the lock down one on one defenders across the board on this team that we had the last 3 years. On the National Championship team all 8 members of the rotation were really good defenders.
Fre3dombear
Seemed we'd Sometimes Start zone and fall into m2m

Did we have many possessions fully zone?
DanaDane
We have 4 guys of the 9 regulars who are struggling with switches, 2 of which are really bad at it so far. But, some of that can be explained by lack of cohesiveness of any team early in the season unless it's a team that returns all starters and have played together for a long time. That's what made the 2021 team so strong. Those guys had all been together for multiple years (including their redshirt years) so they knew each other's tendencies and knew when to drop off, sag and help.

Drew has stated several times in the past few weeks that he's committed to man D, but I suspect he'll keep trying different styles during this non-conference portion until he finds the right mix. One of the reasons I love playing Gonzaga is that they are an offensive style that forces D's to perform lots of switches effectively, or they will burn you. Our Natty team and UT's D last week shutdown Gonzaga because the D's were all over the Zags with perfect pressure D and switching. Regardess of what the final outcome of our game is with Gonzaga, it will be great experience for our D for future opponents like UT, Tech and KU.
geofffwoade
To me the trade off is have some guys out of position and mess up the switches with man or play zone and give up a bunch of offensive rebounds and second chance points. I actually think the latter is worse.
LagunaBear
I hope we can improve our M2M. It's very hard to win a natty with zone. Great teams pick it apart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.