Story Poster
Baylor Basketball Recruiting

Macio Teague on Why He Chose Baylor

April 30, 2018

UNC Asheville sophomore Macio Teague was one of the hottest names on the transfer market this spring after earning 1st Team All Big South honors as a sophomore.  The 6-3 190 lb guard averaged 16.7 ppg; 4.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists to go along with 1.6 steals per game.  He shot 43% from 3 point range and 87% from the foul line.  

When he announced his intentions to transfer after his coaching staff left for Middle Tennessee State, he had a host of schools interested.  Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA and Clemson all expressed interest.  But Teague narrowed it down to Xavier, Louisville and Baylor.  He will sit out one year and have 2 years of eligibility left after his transfer year.    Teague mentioned that he really enjoyed all of the Baylor coaches but it was his relationship with Scott Drew that helped him decide that Baylor was the spot.  

With Teague's commitment to Baylor, the Bears should have an outstanding backcourt ready to go in 2019-2020 as they pair Teague with Davion Mitchell (6-1 200 lbs) who transferred to Baylor from Auburn after a freshman season where he helped Auburn win an SEC championship.  

Here's my converation with Macio.  

You had a lot of great options to consider, why did you choose Baylor?  

Teague:  The Baylor staff did a great job of recruiting me and making me feel wanted.  I just hit it off with the staff and felt like Baylor was a great opportunity to contribute and progress.  

Tell me about your visit?  When did you arrive and who did you spend time with?  

Teague:  I arrived on campus Thursday and left Saturday.  I spent time with King McClure, Jake Lindsey, Mario Kegler, Tristan Clark and Freddie Gillespie.  I really liked the guys on the team and the facilities.  

Baylor has had success with transfers and player development in general.  Was this a major factor in choosing Baylor?  

Teague:  Definitely, I enjoyed talking to Coach Peterson and they've had a lot of guys come through there that are playing professional basketball.  It was a big part of my decision.  

Davion Mitchell is another transfer guard that has committed to Baylor from Auburn.  It would seem that an opportunity to develop chemistry with him as you both prepare for your next season would be attractive.  Is that something that appealed to you?  

Teague:  For sure, Baylor coaches talked to me about the opportunity to play with Davion and have guards that can create offense off the dribble and also facilitate for others.  I'm looking forward to getting to work with him.  

What do you want to study at Baylor?

Teague:  Something related to business

When do you plan on arriving on campus?  

Teague:  In late May before summer.  

You have probably not been asked this question before, but I read your wingspan is 6-9.  Is that accurate?  

Teague:  (laughs), yeah that's close enough.  

Discussion from...

Macio Teague on Why He Chose Baylor

10,592 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Grizz Air
BU_TWEEZY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beyond happy to have him on board. Welcome home Macio!
boxster
Good interview. I love transfers. They're smarter, they do their homework, they know what it takes to succeed, they know education counts.

Really fired up about Teague and that nice 3 point stroke.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
Ludwig von Missi
Huge addition! Can't wait to see this guy in green and gold.

Sic 'em, Macio!
Lance_smith15
HANDLES
Lance_smith15
Let's go! Huge addition. Can't waut to see him and Davion terrorize the big 12
fuentbu1
This is a huge deal! Nobody uses the red shirt year like Coach Drew!
Ashley Hodge
Staff
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/mens_basketball/teague-transferring-to-baylor/article_ecc8a1b6-5787-57f3-a74d-3bfe5d3db034.html

some different quotes in this article from Werner
Fozzie
Mitchell and Teague are going to be the best backcourt in Baylor history when you consider offense and defense. Huge pick-ups for Coach Drew. Let the good times roll. Add an impact guard in 19 and we will be ready to roll.
boxster
Fozzie said:

Mitchell and Teague are going to be the best backcourt in Baylor history when you consider offense and defense. Huge pick-ups for Coach Drew. Let the good times roll. Add an impact guard in 19 and we will be ready to roll.
That's high praise. We've had some great ones. But I'm all for it!

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
boxster
Ashley Hodge said:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/mens_basketball/teague-transferring-to-baylor/article_ecc8a1b6-5787-57f3-a74d-3bfe5d3db034.html

some different quotes in this article from Werner
"Any weaknesses will become a strength in the near future."

...nice

USSRonaldReagan
Welcome to the family! Take us to a Natty!
SBK_Bear
Great pick up. Fantastic 3 pt shooter, looks aggressive, heck of a transfer. Glad he will be a bear.

Sic Em Macio!
matt0519
Unreal that we keep getting these big time transfers. 2019 season can't come soon enough
Bear-0-Daktyl
Huge get!! 2019 is gonna be salty.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Imagine the the 40+% 3pt percentage...
GoodNewsBears
Let's go! Way to go Coach Drew and welcome to the Family Macio
Chad 2 the Bone
Welcome to Baylor Macio! Really glad to have you aboard and look forward to watching you in green and gold. You made a great decision!
Justin Kates
Great choice by this young man! He should thrive in this offense.
-Justin Kates
Marlin
Welcome to Baylor Macio! 2019 can't get here soon enough!
Final Four Baby!!
Heart
So excited that Macio Teague has chosen to be a Bear!!
Can not wait to add his shooting skills to our backcourt!
He's just what we needed! And going to look great in green and gold!
Noghri
Fozzie said:

1978 had Teagle and Vinnie Johnson. Without 3 point line

They weren't too shabby
Grizz Air
Excited for the 2019 backcourt. Thanks for posting. Welcome, MaCio!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.