Story Poster
Photo by EndlessMotor.net
Baylor Basketball Recruiting

Jordan Turner's HS Coach on Why Baylor is a Great Fit

June 13, 2018

Jordan Turner committed to Scott Drew's Baylor Bears over a multitude of offers that included Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Florida.  The 6-8 wing exploded this summer on the Adidas Gauntlet circuit averaging 16 ppg while shooting 50% from the field; 42% from 3 and 78% from the foul line.  

I caught up with his high school coach Luke Barnwell on Jordan's game.  

What have you seen from Jordan since you have coached him?

Coach Barnwell:  He is a pleasure to coach.  His talent is tremendous but I love how he progressed last year.  I knew he was going to have a monster summer.  When he came to Sunrise Christian it was a big adjustment for him.  Everything came so easy for him and this was a step up in competition.  He figured out how hard he has to work and his confidence grew.  He is starting to marry potential with production.  Sky is the limit.  

When I watched him, I saw a player that can shoot it well and also attacked on a regular basis.  Is that consistent with what you see regularly?

Barnwell:  He shoots it so effortlessly.  Scoring is natural for Jordan.  His motor became a major strength at the end of the year as I mentioned.  Once he realized how good he could be, he understood that he needs to be one of the top guys every time he steps on the court.  

He looks like a great fit for Baylor in that he has a long wingspan and would be good in man to man or zone.  He had said he needs to work on lateral quickness.  Do you see that as a weakness in him?  

Barnwell:  He will be working with our strength staff to get better in that area but he is definitely a great fit for Baylor.  I could not be more happy for him.  This should be a great situation for him and for the school.  As a coach, you always love it when players go to schools where you know the deck is stacked in their favor to have success.  

What have you seen from a leadership standpoint?  

Barnwell:  He will need to be a vocal leader this year.  Last year, he was a great locker room guy and one who quietly worked.  But I have seen him grow a lot in this area and he should grow even more during his senior season.  Baylor is getting a terrific young man with a very bright basketball future.  

Discussion from...

Jordan Turner's HS Coach on Why Baylor is a Great Fit

8,798 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mitch Blood Green
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
He is going to be a great addition to Drew's team.

Time to go see some AAU games.
GhettoHEBear
HUGE Pickup by Drew. Very exciting!
Baylor Mafioso
Bestweekeverr
Looks like a BEAST! can't wait to see him in the green and gold, or neon!
Marlin
Great pickup! Welcome to Baylor Jordan.
RealLarryDon
Awesome pick-up by Drew and his staff! He also appears to have a frame that can fill out.
TheDom
Welcome Mr. Turner! We thrilled to have you join BU Family.
Chad 2 the Bone
Very excited! Welcome to the Baylor family Jordan.

Sky is the limit with his positional height and smooth stroke from the outside.
chorne68
Sure looks good to me. It seems like we have a lot of guys who can shoot the ball. This has not been the case for a while.
boxster
Four more years of fun for the Baylor family! (Now if Jordan becomes a lottery pick after leading us to a natty after 3 years, he'll have my blessing to leave early.)

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
EasyE
He looks a lot like Motley. Not a lot of lift, but good fundamentals on his jump shot. Hopefully, once he gets in the training room, he can become more explosive and play above the rim a little more. There is a lot to work with there and would be ecstatic to see him have comparable results to Motley's career while at Baylor. I'm looking forward to witnessing his development.
GoodNewsBears
Yeet!!
Lance_smith15
GoodNewsBears said:

Yeet!!

YEET
bexar country
EasyE said:

He looks a lot like Motley. Not a lot of lift, but good fundamentals on his jump shot. Hopefully, once he gets in the training room, he can become more explosive and play above the rim a little more. There is a lot to work with there and would be ecstatic to see him have comparable results to Motley's career while at Baylor. I'm looking forward to witnessing his development.

Very good assessment Easy
Mitch Blood Green
That's one of the nicer skill sets I've seen come our way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.