I hate the Mavericks

4,011 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mitch Blood Green
Mitch Blood Green
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They did it again. They traded a high value future first round pick to move up two spots to get a guy who expressed that he didn't want to play in Memphis nor Atlanta.

He'd have likely been there at 5. If not, Bamba and the other first round would have improved the team.

Can't build without the draft.
Keyser Soze

The entire 11 roster, except for JJ Borea, was FA or trade - including Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Chandler, Matrix, Peja, Sevenson,

The first rounder given up has lotto protection - no big whoop

Mitch Henessey
Doncic was the best player in the draft. They did what they had to do.
Mitch Blood Green
Keyser Soze said:

The entire 11 roster, except for JJ Borea, was FA or trade - including Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Chandler, Matrix, Peja, Sevenson,

But it's a likely top 15 pick. I think they need to start building through the draft. Nothing against Doncic. I think he falls to five.
Keyser Soze
tommie said:

Keyser Soze said:

But it's a likely top 15 pick. I think they need to start building through the draft. Nothing against Doncic. I think he falls to five.
Lotto protected on a sliding scale

example

19 - full lotto protected
20 - top 12 protected
21 top 8 protected
22 top 3 protected
23 unprotected

lots of possibilities, but most likely a mid first rounder in 20 or 21 - most years the pick is no better than a guy you can sign off the street, only the money may be lower

Mitch Blood Green
Mitch Henessey said:

Better then a 5 AND a 20?

My point is they need to keep picks and build around them.

I think he's gonna be good. I think all in the top 5 in this daft will be studs.
Keyser Soze

My point is, 20 is just a dude - it is the uber rare exception you get a real player there. You can always sign guys off the street of equal talent there. The only real thing is the guy off the street may cost you a little more cap space.

Mitch Blood Green
Keyser Soze said:

My point is, 20 is just a dude - it is the uber rare exception you get a real player there. You can always sign guys off the street of equal talent there. The only real thing is the guy off the street may cost you a little more cap space.

Could be. Gotta be better then the huge list of free agents that have come through here.
snarebear55
Two things - almost NO way Doncic is there at 5. Memphis probably takes him over JJJ, first and foremost. And even if Memphis wasn't enamored with Doncic, at that point teams KNOW the Mavs will take him, so someone would have given Memphis a great offer to move ahead of Dallas for Doncic. Atlanta was fixated on Young, but Memphis would have been fine with trading down and pass on JJJ if given a good offer. So if Dallas wanted Doncic they had to trade up.

Second, Doncic is a different tier of prospect than everyone but Ayton. If you think he's your superstar, you go and get him. Even if the Mavs liked JJJ/Bamba/etc, they had Doncic in a tier above. I'm all in on Doncic too. You always make the move for a talent the caliber of Doncic, and I'm glad to see the Mavs didn't waste this chance to add a premium talent. And the fact the Mavs got some protections on the pick in case of catastrophe is just icing on the cake.

And for the record, the Mavs trade for Doncic is unanimously praised by basically everyone around the league and the media. It was a great move.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
no brainer to make this move in my view. I play pick up ball with a guy that just ended a 16 year career in the highest league in Europe and he says Doncic is better than anyone in the draft. He has spent the last year scouting college prospects going to the NBA. He projects a 12 year all star type career for him. If you get a chance to get that kind of player, you have to do it at any reasonable cost.
baylorrific
I'm in favor of giving up the protected 1 to get Doncic, but I have 2 concerns:

1. Why is his 3pt shooting % so low?
2. A mid 2020 or 2021 1st round pick might be more valuable than usual if that is the year the NBA eliminates the prohibition on high schoolers entering the draft.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
baylorrific said:

2. A mid 2020 or 2021 1st round pick might be more valuable than usual if that is the year the NBA eliminates the prohibition on high schoolers entering the draft.
#2 might push a better pick/prospect down to the Mavs if a HS talent is chosen ahead.
baylorrific
Brian Ethridge said:

baylorrific said:

#2 might push a better pick/prospect down to the Mavs if a HS talent is chosen ahead.
Brian, not if Atlanta gets to keep the pick that year.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
baylorrific said:

Brian Ethridge said:

baylorrific said:

Brian, not if Atlanta gets to keep the pick that year.
Late round picks are for sale in the NBA. If Cuban/Nelson cared about the draft they would/could move up easily. I just don't have faith they care enough about the draft outside the top 10.
OsoVerde
Anyone heard what the Mavs plan to do with Motley this year?
Keyser Soze
OsoVerde said:

Anyone heard what the Mavs plan to do with Motley this year?

My thoughts have always been he may take Nerlens Noel's spot. He signed a "split" contract with the Mavs for two years so he is definitely a Mavs for next season. He played very well for the limited time he was not playing in Frisco.

Mavs will likely add a vet C before the season starts. DeAndrea Jordan (again) or possibly Gortat from Washington. Mot could still be here even if the acquire one of those two.

bularry
Mitch Henessey said:

maybe. it is a crap shoot predicting who will produce at a high level in the NBA.
bularry
Ashley Hodge said:

no brainer to make this move in my view. I play pick up ball with a guy that just ended a 16 year career in the highest league in Europe and he says Doncic is better than anyone in the draft. He has spent the last year scouting college prospects going to the NBA. He projects a 12 year all star type career for him. If you get a chance to get that kind of player, you have to do it at any reasonable cost.
that sounds great. who else has this guy scouted and predicted would be 12 year all star guys?

Is Doncic quick enough to guard NBA 3's? Is he big enough to guard 4's? Those are my immediate questions.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
This guy scouted any great player in the SW region and those that came through- Young, Bamba, Zhaire Smith, Shamet, KU guys, Ayton, etc... but he also played professionally for 19 years in the highest league in Europe. He retired last year so he got a first hand look at Doncic and has good comparisons to guys like Rubio and Ingles.
bularry
Your friends opinion is better qualified than mine and most others, but he could still be wrong Not like this kid is a Lebron type sure thing

Ashley Hodge
Staff
bularry said:

Your friends opinion is better qualified than mine and most others, but he could still be wrong Not like this kid is a Lebron type sure thing

he was MVP of the 2nd best professional basketball league in the world though. That is likely a high floor. Much better competition than college basketball.
Mitch Blood Green
Ashley Hodge said:

bularry said:

he was MVP of the 2nd best professional basketball league in the world though. That is likely a high floor. Much better competition than college basketball.

I think he's gonna be fine. I don't see him better then a stud shot blocker/ rim defender AND a late first rounder.

My issue may just be that the Mavericks haven't invested in building this team via the draft since the championship. Maybe they are now and I'm living in the past.

We will know soon.
xiledinok
He's an outstanding player.
Utah Jazz Center, Rudy Gobert, sent out a message about what a terrific job the Mavs did on draft night and how the public didn't know how good a player he is.
Gobert was first team all defense and from France. He's already played against him. In fact, most of the foreign players in the NBA think very highly of him.
Mo Bamba has a better chance of being Manute Bol than Shaq. The Mavs need an offensive star that can set others up.
Keyser Soze
The Mavs best has had an elite ball distributor (Nash / Kidd) -

Brian Ethridge
Staff
tommie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

bularry said:

I think he's gonna be fine. I don't see him better then a stud shot blocker/ rim defender AND a late first rounder.

My issue may just be that the Mavericks haven't invested in building this team via the draft since the championship. Maybe they are now and I'm living in the past.

We will know soon.
They haven't drafted since Dirk.
Mitch Blood Green
xiledinok said:

He's an outstanding player.
Utah Jazz Center, Rudy Gobert, sent out a message about what a terrific job the Mavs did on draft night and how the public didn't know how good a player he is.
Gobert was first team all defense and from France. He's already played against him. In fact, most of the foreign players in the NBA think very highly of him.
Mo Bamba has a better chance of being Manute Bol than Shaq. The Mavs need an offensive star that can set others up.

He's eaten more steaks then Bol.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.