Maston?

2,253 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DaveyBear
Iron Claw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I may have missed a discussion on him. Why no love from the NBA? Was surprised Omot was getting interest and not Maston.

We all loved his game and the announcers going gaga over the "old-man" moves. Sure will miss him.
FKA tri it
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Iron Claw said:

I may have missed a discussion on him. Why no love from the NBA? Was surprised Omot was getting interest and not Maston.

We all loved his game and the announcers going gaga over the "old-man" moves. Sure will miss him.
probably doesn't have NBA athleticism. Omot is a 3 and D mold. Reminds me of Tony Snell.

Maston if he develops a solid work ethic could have a long, prosperous pro career in Europe. His skill level is elite. His work ethic has not been elite in the past. To new beginnings!

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Terry-Maston/B12/Baylor-University/333478
NoBSU
Ashley Hodge said:

Iron Claw said:

probably doesn't have NBA athleticism. Omot is a 3 and D mold. Reminds me of Tony Snell.

Maston if he develops a solid work ethic could have a long, prosperous pro career in Europe. His skill level is elite. His work ethic has not been elite in the past. To new beginnings!

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Terry-Maston/B12/Baylor-University/333478
If his heart isn't in it, then he won't stick long. They will pay him for production not potential. Cut him when that isn't worth the hassle. I am hoping that he learns that quickly before he drops too many levels and is playing in Mexico for a room and cheap beer. There is good money to be made in Europe.
Keyser Soze
What Ashley said.

Maston is just not athletic enough. Look how difficult it is for someone like Helsip catch on - can shoot lights out, but he can not cover an NBA guard.

Omot has a chance. He has the athleticism and body for the NBA. Omot may not make the NBA but he has the things you can not teach - so the chance is there.

Plenty of other leagues to keep playing if he is open to travel,
setshot
Ashley is right, as he so often is in his coverage of Baylor basketball. Maston is undersized for an interior player and while he is very clever with the ball in his hands and has an outstanding midrange game, he has neither the range nor the quickness required to extend his game at the NBA level. I don't think scoring would be as much of a problem for him as defending.

The athleticism at that level, and at every position, is almost incomprehensible to most of us ordinary humans, and the size and level of skill that accompanies that athleticism makes the combination truly spectacular. I am not sure that Maston, despite being a very accomplished offensive college player, could stand up to the demands that playing at that level make upon him. I also question whether he is as devoted to basketball as he would need to be in order to do it. If he goes to Europe, he might well be successful, but that would depend on how badly he really wants to play at that level.
Iron Claw
Like the dummy I am, I didn't think Buckets was near athletic enough for the NBA. That's why I thought Maston was a possibility.
FKA tri it
FormerFlash
setshot said:

Ashley is right, as he so often is in his coverage of Baylor basketball. Maston is undersized for an interior player and while he is very clever with the ball in his hands and has an outstanding midrange game, he has neither the range nor the quickness required to extend his game at the NBA level. I don't think scoring would be as much of a problem for him as defending.

The athleticism at that level, and at every position, is almost incomprehensible to most of us ordinary humans, and the size and level of skill that accompanies that athleticism makes the combination truly spectacular. I am not sure that Maston, despite being a very accomplished offensive college player, could stand up to the demands that playing at that level make upon him. I also question whether he is as devoted to basketball as he would need to be in order to do it. If he goes to Europe, he might well be successful, but that would depend on how badly he really wants to play at that level.

This pretty much covers it. If only Maston was a few inches taller. He could have carved out a really nice pick and pop game, much like Zydrunas Ilgauskas thrived in while playing in Cleveland. He had great mid-range touch, just like Mastons. The big difference? Big Z was 7'3 so he could still provide some rim protection even though he had very little athleticism. Maston is 6'8. LeBron is 6'8. Paul George is 6'9. Hell, Kyle Korver is 6'7. No chance for Maston to produce in the NBA at that combination of size and athleticism. Tristan Thompson is 6'9 and has only survived in the NBA as a power forward because he has an elite motor to pair with good athleticism. No one has ever accused Terry of having an elite motor.
Sic Everyone.
DaveyBear
Going against the grain, I think Maston will excel in lesser leagues for a couple of years and get a nice cup of coffee in the NBA when rookie contracts expire and the league begins to get rid of players that dont provide immediate upside.

I have always correlated him with Zach Randolph....without the humorously long arms that Zach has.

The unknown is motivation....see PJIII
JaMycal Hasty through 9/22
Rush 29 att 182 yds 6.3 ypc
Rec 9 rec 80 yds 8.9 ypc
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.