Best Pre-Season All American Team Ever?

3,016 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by midgett
Ashley Hodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

Bird
Magic
Moncrief
Dr Dunkenstein
Cartwright
Greenwood
Sparnakel
Keyser Soze
Maybe not as good, but really good

Jordan
Hakeem
Chris Mullins
Sam Perkins
Mel Turpin
Wyman Tisdale
Sam Bowie*

*Worst draft mistake ever?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Man that is really good- who are you thinking is Avery Johnson?

I think Cal St Fullerton is Leon Wood
Georgia Vern Fleming?
I'm not placing the Louisville guard? Milt Wagner?
Keyser Soze
That was 82-83 I think. Omitted from the AA team was Barkley - might have been better if he was on it
Keyser Soze
Edit no AJ, my mistake
Keyser Soze
James Banks Georgia,
Leon Wood Fullerton State,
Lancaster Gordon Louisville
bularry
Keyser Soze said:

James Banks Georgia,
Leon Wood Fullerton State,
Lancaster Gordon Louisville

Thanks. Was wracking my brain on the Louisville player
NoBSU
Ashley Hodge
Staff
NoBSU said:

salty! Don't remember Larry Miller but 4 hall of famers.
NoBSU
Ashley Hodge said:

NoBSU said:

I don't remember Miller either. He had good stats. 6'4" played a few years in the ABA.

Bob Lanier, Lucius Allen, and Calvin Murphy were 2nd Team. Jojo White was 3rd Team.
NoBSU
1957-58 NCAA
1st Team
Elgin Baylor Seattle
Wilt Chamberlain Kansas
Don Hennon Pittsburgh
Oscar Robertson Cincinnati
Guy Rodgers Temple

Jerry West was 3rd Team.
NoBSU
Ashley Hodge said:

Bird
Magic
Moncrief
Dr Dunkenstein
Cartwright
Greenwood
Sparnakel

Good team. Post-season AA team had Vinnie Johnson 2nd Team.
DaveyBear
Keyser Soze said:

Jordan
Hakeem
Chris Mullins
Sam Perkins
Mel Turpin
Wyman Tisdale
Sam Bowie*

On that team, the biggest miss was Leon Wood who was taken by Philly. I think that was the 83-84 squad listed above.
JaMycal Hasty through 9/22
Rush 29 att 182 yds 6.3 ypc
Rec 9 rec 80 yds 8.9 ypc
Keyser Soze
DaveyBear said:

Keyser Soze said:

Jordan
Hakeem
Chris Mullins
Sam Perkins
Mel Turpin
Wyman Tisdale
Sam Bowie*

On that team, the biggest miss was Leon Wood who was taken by Philly. I think that was the 83-84 squad listed above.

Bowie - a big man with a history of injury - was selected #2 by Portland and had a remarkably short career due to injuries.

He is considered one of the worst picks ever because Michael Jordan was pick #3 - (Hakeem was #1)

In life is stranger than fiction - Portland about 30 years later selected Greg Oden - a big man with a history of injuries over Kevin Durant - Oden had a short career due to injury
forza orsi
NoBSU said:

Ashley Hodge said:

NoBSU said:

I don't remember Miller either. He had good stats. 6'4" played a few years in the ABA.

Bob Lanier, Lucius Allen, and Calvin Murphy were 2nd Team. Jojo White was 3rd Team.
Miller scored 67 in an ABA game once. He could definitely score. I lived in Charlotte at the time he was playing there. Definitely a local hero.
NoBSU
Keyser Soze said:

DaveyBear said:

Keyser Soze said:

Jordan
Hakeem
Chris Mullins
Sam Perkins
Mel Turpin
Wyman Tisdale
Sam Bowie*

Bowie - a big man with a history of injury - was selected #2 by Portland and had a remarkably short career due to injuries.

He is considered one of the worst picks ever because Michael Jordan was pick #3 - (Hakeem was #1)

In life is stranger than fiction - Portland about 30 years later selected Greg Oden - a big man with a history of injuries over Kevin Durant - Oden had a short career due to injury
I tried to find the clip on youtube of Bobby Knight telling him of Portland calling him up before the draft. They asked about his insight as an Olympic coach. He told them to take Jordan. They said they needed a center. Knight said then play Jordan at center. He is that good. He told them he was serious and not joking.
Keyser Soze
NoBSU said:

Keyser Soze said:

DaveyBear said:

Keyser Soze said:

Jordan
Hakeem
Chris Mullins
Sam Perkins
Mel Turpin
Wyman Tisdale
Sam Bowie*

I tried to find the clip on youtube of Bobby Knight telling him of Portland calling him up before the draft. They asked about his insight as an Olympic coach. He told them to take Jordan. They said they needed a center. Knight said then play Jordan at center. He is that good. He told them he was serious and not joking.

The only slack Portland deserves is they drafted this really good kid from Houston the year before who played the exact same position - Clyde Drexler . Somehow I think most could have played Jordan and Drexler on the court at the same time.

midgett
Leon Wood's career was middling but I admire how he started from the bottom to have a respectable career as a NBA referee.
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/steve_aschburner/03/03/leon-wood-haywoode-workman-nba-players-to-refs/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.