LeBron James' School - Amazing

3,597 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by D. C. Bear
BaylorOkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What an incredible way to use the wealth for which he has worked so hard to make a difference. This is great.

BaylorBears_254
The GOAT on and off the court.
Osodecentx
Good for James
Ashley Hodge
BluesBear
If you believe that James spent his money on this entire project, then I've got some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

Free, Free, Free - how is this teaching those kids anything about working hard for something when they have no skin in the game. Sure the parents are receiving some form on welfare benefits but still have the latest iPhone.

If James wanted to make an impact - help solve the issue with millions of black babies born each year without fathers and the countless millions aborted. That will have a generational impact for all versus just for a few.

Osodecentx
TrustTheProcess said:

If you believe that James spent his money on this entire project, then I've got some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

Free, Free, Free - how is this teaching those kids anything about working hard for something when they have no skin in the game. Sure the parents are receiving some form on welfare benefits but still have the latest iPhone.

If James wanted to make an impact - help solve the issue with millions of black babies born each year without fathers and the countless millions aborted. That will have a generational impact for all versus just for a few.

C'mon man. Nobody can solve the problem of millions of babies, but at least James is helping mitigate a problem in Akron.

BTW, I did not watch one minute of one NBA game this year. He did none of this with any of my money. Another point, he isn't the role model I want for my grandchildren
BluesBear
I get that. I didn't watch one minute myself as well. What drives me nuts is people automatically assuming he made this all happen and it's Free for all. What isn't mentioned is that the State of Ohio and the (bankrupt) city of Akron will at some point have to provide this free service.

If he really wants to lead - have all the black players of the NBA forgo a years salary and put that billion dollars? into programs that will impact more families.

My reaction might also be my frustration that Fox Sports hasn't been the alternative to those people sick of the ESPN James train media 24-7
Osodecentx
TrustTheProcess said:

I'm still looking for articles of the financing. Still not sure. It is a public school, not a charter or a private.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/31/17634370/lebron-james-school-akron-i-promise-different

It also raises questions about funding. Per the state of Ohio, Akron's schools were given just $10,028 in state and local funds per student in 2016 more than the statewide average, but still a relatively low figure for a city of a little under 200,000.
That's not a lot of money to operate a school with such grand aspirations, which is where the LeBron James Family Foundation comes in. James' nonprofit is the leader of a group of more than 120 donors, volunteers, and sponsors working to find the resources needed to keep exceptional educators on staff through a more demanding teaching schedule.
Since I Promise is a public school, that group also must have worked with Akron's local teachers' union to create a plan with which the coalition of teachers could agree. A quick look at the benefits available to those staffers shows the steps James and his cohort are making to attract and retain quality educators. From the Los Angeles Times' profile on the school:

Ten thousand dollars per student can't cover those services, but the buy-in from the LeBron James Family Foundation can. That will make I Promise a destination for ambitious teachers in 2018 and beyond.

Mitch Henessey
TrustTheProcess said:

I get that. I didn't watch one minute myself as well. What drives me nuts is people automatically assuming he made this all happen and it's Free for all. What isn't mentioned is that the State of Ohio and the (bankrupt) city of Akron will at some point have to provide this free service.

If he really wants to lead - have all the black players of the NBA forgo a years salary and put that billion dollars? into programs that will impact more families.

My reaction might also be my frustration that Fox Sports hasn't been the alternative to those people sick of the ESPN James train media 24-7
Why only the black players?
Michibear
Osodecentx said:

TrustTheProcess said:

I'm still looking for articles of the financing. Still not sure. It is a public school, not a charter or a private.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/31/17634370/lebron-james-school-akron-i-promise-different

Technically, charter schools are public schools.
SATXBear
Wish more communities could come together to do this. Only thing I would say is to make it more incentive based.

http://www.ideapublicschools.org/our-schools/idea-carver

Here is David Robinson's school in several cities.

George Gervin has a couple of programs.
http://www.georgegervinprepacademy.org/

http://www.gervin-school.org/Academy
xiledinok
TrustTheProcess said:

Countless millions of black babies aborted? Hate to help you out but it's primarily white babies being aborted in America. Remember, Hispanic Latino families might have more kids than sense but they do not abort.
Do not know many African American women aborting children these days.
Also, poor people cannot pay for abortions. They often don't have resources even to find planned parenthood or just do not give a crap about walking through PP's doors.
It's primarily white America young women aborting kids. We have the ability to abort em a little easier than minorities.

Great job Lebron!
robby44
TrustTheProcess said:

This is truly sad
This gets the hater post of year award

A guy can do every thing the right way. Work hard, become the best at his profession, a good husband, good father, do something great to try and help his community. All this and he's still hated and given no more respect than a guy on drugs or with criminal record
Mitch Blood Green
TrustTheProcess said:

Whatever I do. It's never enough.

James solved the issue of millions of black babies being born without fathers (I don't know how that possible but let's go with it. )

He did it the same way you did. He didn't have babies without fathers.

James solved the "abortion issue". He didn't have one.

What you don't know about James is he's been committed to children in Akron long before this school.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-family-foundation-interview-kids-education-college-2016-8

http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-college-scholarship-school-cost-100-million-2018-7

Yep. $105M ain't doing nothing.

The lesson I keep learning by reading this board is people who believe in nothing believe in nothing.

contrario
TrustTheProcess said:

It's a start.

It's amazing how some people find the negative in even the most positive of things. I would not want to be around the sad motherfckers on a daily basis and I feel bad for those that have to endure it.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Dadgum, some of you really hate LeBron James. For what, I don't know. He married his high school sweetheart. He doesn't get in trouble off the court. Despite not attending college, he understands the importance of being well spoken and informed. He's engaged in community efforts with his hometown and cities he's played for.

Oh wait, he criticized Donald Trump.

Nevermind. I've solved the puzzle here.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I was listening to the Summer Podcast with Marland Lowe (grassroots AAU basketball). He was mentioning Jalen Rose who has been doing this kind of work for years but more behind the scenes. But he said anything with LeBron is just going to get a lot of attention when it is something of this scale and not necessarily a PR ploy coming from LeBron's camp. I agree with Marland- I think it is great that he is doing it. Will it solve all the world's problems? No. But it is one thing he can do in his hometown community to make a positive difference.

I never listen to athlete or celebrity politics anyway. As long as they don't make it their life mission to shove their views down my throat.
BluesBear
Since no one wants to do any research and only base their statements on twitter feeds. Here's some news for you - Akron school district just admitted that to maintain this school it will cost between 7-8 million dollars annually.

I'd bet most of the folks on this site have never been to Akron or have worked in a school district budgeting role - I'll fill you in. It's ridiculous what the average cost will be per student compared to other students in the same district.

Haters are gonna be haters. I'm totally fine with that when it comes to LaBum.
Keyser Soze
Don't get the hating. Great job LBJ.

Keyser Soze

Two guys walking on a beach at low tide. There are hundreds maybe thousands of starfish stranded out of the water. One guy picks up a starfish and tosses it back in the ocean. The other guys ask "what possible difference does that make". "it's all the difference in the world for that starfish" replied the first man.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
TrustTheProcess said:

What a dick. Compare his effort to the founder of Trump U.
Grizz Air
I am neither pro nor anti-LBJ, unless he is friends with BT or the BOR. I am just a neutral observer posting facts:
bunation
Osodecentx said:

TrustTheProcess said:

It also raises questions about funding. Per the state of Ohio, Akron's schools were given just $10,028 in state and local funds per student in 2016 more than the statewide average, but still a relatively low figure for a city of a little under 200,000.
That's not a lot of money to operate a school with such grand aspirations, which is where the LeBron James Family Foundation comes in. James' nonprofit is the leader of a group of more than 120 donors, volunteers, and sponsors working to find the resources needed to keep exceptional educators on staff through a more demanding teaching schedule.
Since I Promise is a public school, that group also must have worked with Akron's local teachers' union to create a plan with which the coalition of teachers could agree. A quick look at the benefits available to those staffers shows the steps James and his cohort are making to attract and retain quality educators. From the Los Angeles Times' profile on the school:

Ten thousand dollars per student can't cover those services, but the buy-in from the LeBron James Family Foundation can. That will make I Promise a destination for ambitious teachers in 2018 and beyond.

Nope.

https://www.lsc.ohio.gov/documents/reference/current/ohiofacts/2016/k-12schools.pdf

Money and L James will never fix those kids. Only quality parenting does that. And, the black community/Democratic Party does not want traditional families so, sadly & pathetically, their fate is sealed.

BaylorBJM
TrustTheProcess said:

Haters are gonna be haters. I'm totally fine with that when it comes to LaBum.
Not that we needed confirmation but this sentence right here proves you can't speak on the subject objectively. You have a problem with Lebron as a person and it doesn't matter what he does to help the community, you'll just continue to raise the bar and minimize the good works.

But congrats on following up on the worst post of the year with perhaps an even worse take. Quite the accomplishment.
D. C. Bear
TrustTheProcess said:

Do you make your kids pay for their own food?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.