Renovate or Build New?

6,357 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, assuming funding comes through, choose and discuss.

1. Renovate the Ferrell Center. Capacity? Luxury suites? Student seating?
2. Build a new basketball center. Where? What becomes of the FC? Capacity?
3. Renovate FC and build smaller VB/Acro venue.

I mean, what is your dream configuration for MBB/WBB facilities?
riflebear
If we have the funds then building new is the only way to go.

Needs to happen soon.
MrGolfguy
Whatever they do they need to put the students on the floor, ideally the entire side across the court from the team benches. The best way to get a true home court advantage.
Media Bear
New ...
Ashley Hodge
Staff
New and they will put students on the floor. Limit capacity to 7000. Create some supply/demand tension.
xiledinok
New, 7,000 and a set up where booze and alcohol can be sold. The new model for financial success calls club seating.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Ashley Hodge said:

New and they will put students on the floor. Limit capacity to 7000. Create some supply/demand tension.
Turtle
Build new. Agreed, I think 7,000 sounds right. I love the look and feel of the "fieldhouse" type basketball arena. So it'd be cool to do something like that...think Hinkle/Phog Allen/the old Cole Fieldhouse at Maryland. Only smaller.
Michibear
I'd put it on the grassy area in front of the Garage Mahal. An arena right on campus should get better student turn out, and put the students on the sidelines so as to be visible on TV. Plenty of parking in the Garage Mahal and run a shuttle from McLane Stadium for overflow parking.
PVBear
Build new. Agree with Turtle that a fieldhouse look is important, but not the size of AFH (16,300). I'd prefer something more like Cameron Indoor (8300), but a little smaller. However, I really like the KU sports display in Allen lobby and hope that we can have a new venue with something similar that features BU legends, all-conference players, All-Americans, pro players, the growth of women's sports, etc.
RealLarryDon
New

3,500 capacity

No special seating for students since they don't create a home court advantage anyway.

Makes it small enough to be loud. 3,500 is about what we could actually sellout frequently. Provides some guarantee that those there actually want to be there, so better chance of being loud and a home court advantage.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
RealLarryDon said:

New

3,500 capacity

No special seating for students since they don't create a home court advantage anyway.

Makes it small enough to be loud. 3,500 is about what we could actually sellout frequently. Provides some guarantee that those there actually want to be there, so better chance of being loud and a home court advantage.
I like the way you think. But I bet there will be at least 6000 seats. 6000 seats is probably 7200 capacity. Everyone that enters the building gets counted. Players, refs, trainers, concession workers, gameday staff, coaches, etc...
RealLarryDon
Yeah. 3,500 may be a little small. 5,000 or 6,000 would definitely get it done. Just spend money that would have been wasted on additional seating for upgrading the overall technology experience (huge video boards, interactive videography, internet, etc....) that will draw millienials as that is the age group graduating now that Baylor must attract for lifelong donations, support, etc.....
GarlandBear84
I think there would be lots of negative recruiting against us if capacity is 7k or less. If we can't fill 8k for weekend conference games in a fancy new arena, might as well disband the program. I don't think you pick the size small enough to sell out weeknight games.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
GarlandBear84 said:

I think there would be lots of negative recruiting against us if capacity is 7k or less. If we can't fill 8k for weekend conference games in a fancy new arena, might as well disband the program. I don't think you pick the size small enough to sell out weeknight games.
I think the big thing is that we can only fill 7k with Baylor fans. Anything over that is the enemy. With very few exceptions or HUGE ticket dumps.
Grumpy
I like the idea of putting students on the floor. Everyone wants to have at atmosphere like Duke. The problem is we don't have a basketball culture among Baylor students like Duke does. They show up to special games but not every game.
GarlandBear84
I'd say give students that section and if they haven't shown up by tip-off, open it up to any rowdy fan.
Bearprof
Build new if donors can be found, but it will have to be about the same capacity as it is now. Nowhere else to hold Commencement ceremonies. It's really in the perfect location. Tear it down, hold games somewhere else for a year. Not enough space in that grassy area near the Garage Mahal - not for the structure and parking and everything else.
Michibear
Bearprof said:

Build new if donors can be found, but it will have to be about the same capacity as it is now. Nowhere else to hold Commencement ceremonies. It's really in the perfect location. Tear it down, hold games somewhere else for a year. Not enough space in that grassy area near the Garage Mahal - not for the structure and parking and everything else.
You don't need much parking as the Garage Mahal IS parking. And run shuttles over from McLane for the overflow.

If you build it right on campus, you will get more student turnout. If you get more student turnout, then you can build bigger. I think 8.5K would be about right.

Keep Ferrell for graduation and other special events, or move graduation to McLane.
Michibear

Here's the FC imposed over the grassy area near Dutton. Note that a fieldhouse-style building would be significantly more compact.

Red arrows point to potential parking for this location - McLane, Law School, Dutton Garage, grassy area, and 5th St Garage.

bunation
Coach Drew and Coach Mulkey certainly deserve a new facility.

He's earned it many times over. He is a miracle-making coach. What he's done with our program is beyond remarkable.

And Mulkey is the most successful coach in Baylor's history, imo. We should name the stadium after her.

Briles got his.

Drew & Mulkey should certainly get theirs.................
PartyBear
Better hope the cash cow comes back like this season and the fall out from Regent conduct ends soon rather than get worse among the BMD class. Other wise this is like talking about a new football stadium in 1999.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
PartyBear said:

Better hope the cash cow comes back like this season and the fall out from Regent conduct ends soon rather than get worse among the BMD class. Other wise this is like talking about a new football stadium in 1999.
so you are saying we need football to do well? Interesting- let me consider this and report back.

I do think the arena gets done but we will need to raise $100 mil up front.
PartyBear
To be brief, yes we do need it to do well.
D. C. Bear
Both.
Hotsauce
If they build new, what will happen with the (newish?) practice facility by the FC?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Hotsauce said:

If they build new, what will happen with the (newish?) practice facility by the FC?
will be used for volleyball and acrobatics & tumbling
Yogi
Ferrell should become a dedicated Title IX Athletic Center.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
NoBSU
Yogi said:

Ferrell should become a dedicated Title IX Athletic Center.

Have you no decency! Could we at least add some shiplap pasties.
contrario
GarlandBear84 said:

Attendance doesn't really matter to recruits, they just want tv exposure, which they would get at BU. And a mostly full 6-7K arena would look better than a partially filled 8K arena for most games.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Ashley Hodge said:

PartyBear said:

so you are saying we need football to do well? Interesting- let me consider this and report back.

If 100 million is the benchmark, Baylor isn't breaking ground for 20 years.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
BarleyMcDougal said:

Ashley Hodge said:

PartyBear said:

If 100 million is the benchmark, Baylor isn't breaking ground for 20 years.
Nah- new arena by 2021
OsoVerde
You think completed or announced by that date?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
OsoVerde said:

complete
OsoVerde
Ashley Hodge said:

OsoVerde said:

complete
That would be great
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.