Your 2018-2019 Baylor Bears MBB Team

3,833 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BluesBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
EatMoreSalmon
Vital looks like he could clear one side of the court by just running down it. Is he really only 230?
KOKQB70
Sorry, someone post names here!
MrGolfguy
Front row, left to right - Obim Okeke, King McClure, Devonte Bandoo, Davion Mitchell, Makai Mason, Jared Butler, Mario Kegler

Back row, left to right - Mark Vital, Jake Lindsey, Matthew Mayer, Freddie Gillespie, Flo Thamba, Tristan Clark, Jackson Moffatt, Darius Allen, Macio Teague
EGOTbear
Man almost the entire team is new faces
Ashley Hodge
Staff
EatMoreSalmon said:

Vital looks like he could clear one side of the court by just running down it. Is he really only 230?
240 ish

freak athlete though

42 inch vertical
6-9 wingspan
2.99 3/4 sprint (very fast)
10.38 NBA lane drill (crazy quick)

He's going to be a match-up nightmare for a lot of bigs with that athleticism/quickness and he will overpower guards in the post.
EGOTbear
vital looks overweight
Ashley Hodge
Staff
EGOTbear said:

vital looks overweight
well his athleticism isn't suffering. See above.
EGOTbear
Ashley Hodge said:

EGOTbear said:

vital looks overweight
fair enough. He was a beast last year. Just shocked by the visual transformation
NoBSU
Gillespie looks bulked up. How is his quickness?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
NoBSU said:

Gillespie looks bulked up. How is his quickness?
solid. I watched him this summer during scrimmages with the vets. I was told he was a good defender. What I saw that day, I would put him in the "potential elite defender" category.

For example, deflection on Acuil hook. Vets got rebound and kicked to Nuni for open 3. Freddie was so quick to close out on the shot (7-6 wingspan) that he got a piece. Vets got another offensive rebound and Acuil was bothered by Freddie's length and missed short jumper. Another offensive rebound to vets. Freddie closes out on Nuni again from 3 and Nuni hesitates due to Freddie's length.

Most defenders give up before all of that. It reminded me of a higher motor version of Ekpe Udoh on that sequence. Just one sequence but I think he's going to shock Baylor fans as to how good his defense is. Offensively, he can give you put backs and short jumpers but his hands need a lot of work. But he can be an elite rim defender and so can Thamba.
NoBSU
Gillespie looks like he can hold his ground which is what worried me about Clark at the 5. I would much rather see Clark at the 4. We can cover him inside if we have more shooters. So short dump-offs to Gillespie are okay but alley-oop lobs maybe iffy with the hands?

Vital's arms are impressive but that can be a detriment to improving your shot.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
NoBSU said:

Gillespie looks like he can hold his ground which is what worried me about Clark at the 5. I would much rather see Clark at the 4. We can cover him inside if we have more shooters. So short dump-offs to Gillespie are okay but alley-oop lobs maybe iffy with the hands?

Vital's arms are impressive but that can be a detriment to improving your shot.
yes and really big hands too. That can hurt shooting percentages.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
EGOTbear said:

Ashley Hodge said:

EGOTbear said:

vital looks overweight
fair enough. He was a beast last year. Just shocked by the visual transformation
I think there is a lot of muscle there. There was an insta video where he was deadlifting 550 lbs.

He's going to have to play a lot of 4 this year so his size gains are probably intentional.
gobears20
Staff
How does Vital's free throw shooting look? has that improved and has he developed an outside shot? I was really curious about that going into the off season because this guy is the real deal and fun to watch.
NoBSU
He is all effort.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
gobears20 said:

How does Vital's free throw shooting look? has that improved and has he developed an outside shot? I was really curious about that going into the off season because this guy is the real deal and fun to watch.
He shoots a lot of free throws after every practice. Trying to get to 70%.
gobears20
Staff
Thanks! That's great! He seemed like he was improving some towards the end of the year. He is going to get to the line a lot and he is such an explosive player. One of my favorites!
EatMoreSalmon
Ashley Hodge said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

240 ish

freak athlete though

42 inch vertical
6-9 wingspan

He's going to be a match-up nightmare for a lot of bigs with that athleticism/quickness and he will overpower guards in the post.
Thanks. That's a lot of vertical for 1/8 of a ton!
Johnny Bear
gobears20 said:

Thanks! That's great! He seemed like he was improving some towards the end of the year. He is going to get to the line a lot and he is such an explosive player. One of my favorites!
Hopefully he's learned how to score from more than 3 feet from the basket this season in addition to not constantly laying bricks from the free throw line. Just really had no outside shot whatsoever last year which effectively cancelled out a lot of the other good things he did.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I think he will score 6-10 ppg with effort/hustle even if his shot doesn't improve. His hands are huge and that makes shooting tougher.

But hopefully we will score a little more easily at other positions this year and that will accentuate a glue guy's value a lot more. Need him to do the dirty work.
EasyE
Ashley Hodge said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

240 ish

freak athlete though

42 inch vertical
6-9 wingspan

So he is next in line to be an NFL TE?
fadskier
Who will be point guard/general on the court?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
fadskier said:

Who will be point guard/general on the court?
Makai Mason starter; Jared Butler back up.
BluesBear
I'm most excited to see Mayer hit the court. I think the kid is gonna be something special at Baylor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.