Remember Lacedarius Dunn?

3,366 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by possible12
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Matthew Mayer may be a 6ft. 9In.clone
RegentCoverup
He's Pete Maravich still in puberty I tell ya.

He's Rick Barry without the skank habit!
Osodecentx
Does anyone else think of Maravich?

Mayer looks like him (taller), his jump shot is similar, he is kinda sloppy with the uniform, no defense, scores a lot
Media Bear
Maravich had an entire array of passing and ball handling skills that are several notches above Meyer's

Comparison is a bit of a stretch IMO ...
Grizz Air
Of course i remember Kool. How could I forget? One of our best shooters ever. Does Mayer have a quicker release, at least?
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
EGOTbear
I think everyone remembers Lace Dunn OP
STxBear81
Pistol Pete is a HOF er...i will pull for this kid to do the same....that is score 44 ppg in college every game
OsoCirujano
He's wreckless with the ball at the moment but that's easy to teach. I like how he positions himself well without the ball for rebounds and on the three point line for the kick outs. Teams will soon learn not to use his defender to help weakside. So he will need to learn to play one on one better. He's got most of the tools to do it really well. A lot of upside and I think he plays better than most freshmen out there.
DanaDane
The only resemblance he has to Lace Dunn thus far is how sloppily he handles the ball and how quick he is to throw up shots even when he's double teamed and he has wide open teammates near the basket. But I do think he has significant potential to improve as he gains experience.
Mitch Blood Green
chorne68 said:

Matthew Mayer may be a 6ft. 9In.clone

I think he has a much nicer skill set then Dunn. Dunn could shoot. He can shoot and pass.
chorne68
I just hope he has the stats that Dunn had at Baylor....
Osodecentx
Media Bear said:

Maravich had an entire array of passing and ball handling skills that are several notches above Meyer's

Comparison is a bit of a stretch IMO ...
He just reminds me of him. I doubt he scores 44 points in a game. He just looks like Maravich running and shooting.
I was impressed.

Maybe a stretch
rjgeary
remember Pete had NO 3 pt line!!!
Do what you are suppose to do when you are suppose to do it and everything else will take care of itself!
setshot
Frosh players were not eligible for varsity play, so Maravich does not have the record for first year players. That goes to Chris Jackson, who is better known as Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. He averaged 30 points a game as a frosh player, and had games of 48, 53 and 55 points, hitting ten threes in the latter game, a feat that he matched later on. He was an All American in his first and second years, then turned pro. He was small, even for the 80s and 90s, but his range was comparable to that of Curry. He also missed the free throw record by one, and is considered to be one of the top three free throw shooters in history. He was truly remarkable, both in college and as a pro, though his protests as a player did not serve his reputation well, politics being what it was when he was a player. He was also one of the most prolific high school scorers of all time as a Mississippi schoolboy.

For a program that has never been considered one of the elites, LSU has had some incredible players over the years. In my day (and class) the great Bob Pettit was an All American, Maravich, Shaquille O'Neal, Abdul-Rauf, Ben Simmons, and a host of others who went on to great pro careers. Pettit is quite possibly the finest of the under appreciated players in the history of the NBA. At 6'10" he could run the floor, was a great scorer and rebounder, and an underrated defender. A perennial NBA All Star and All Pro, he scored 50 points in the one NBA Final game that the St. Louis Hawks defeated the great Celtics team of the Fifties and Sixties. Even Bill Russell had no answer for Pettit, who went on to become a successful banker in St. Louis at the end of his career. I loved watching him play.....
setshot
Incidentally, Press Maravich, Pete's father, who arrived at LSU with his son in tow, and gave him carte blanche to shoot the ball any time he crossed the mid court line. It was common knowledge that Press was hired as head coach in order to get Pete to Baton Rouge, and it did not take long for Press to be shown the door once Pete was gone. LSU has had its share of colorful coaches, but Press Maravich and Dale Brown have to head the list.

Pete, for all of his great scoring, and at 6'5" he was a very big guard for his day, was in the estimation of John Wooden, whose UCLA team beat LSU but not before Maravich scored his usual forty points, as fine a ball handler as he had ever seen. No one, even today, had as many moves, as many tricks with the ball in his hands as Maravich did. If his teammates had been ready for some of the passes he delivered his assist total would be up in the rafters. Some very rare players are born to be too good for their own time, and of all the ones I can think of in any sport other than track and field (Jesse Owens), Maravich was the prototypical individual who could be so categorized.
longtimebear
Mayer just needs a good polishing. If he can improve as much as Tristan Clark has from frosh to soph....then whoa...katie bar the door.
xiledinok
He really gets a good look at the rim. I m buying him.
RegentCoverup
Setshot is right.

He needs to develop as a ballhandler and his shooting opportunities will improve.
bunation
Love to hear about great players of the past. Great stuff! Thx.

I'm sure Mr. Mayer appreciates the comparisons. Let's hope he creates his own special Baylor legacy.
bunation
setshot said:

Frosh players were not eligible for varsity play, so Maravich does not have the record for first year players....

I can't recall the reasoning behind this. Do you know?

High schools in Texas had the same restrictions for years, which I assumed had to do with physical maturity & the potential for injuries. That is, not permitting a 14 year old adolescent to compete in a contact sport with 18 year old men.
setshot
The theory behind the ban on varsity play for frosh (and that was true for all the collegiate sports) was that it permitted young collegians an opportunity to become acclimated to college, to their classroom studies, and to the campus culture before they became actively engaged in high level, demanding competition. Redshirts were for sophomores, not freshmen, who had abbreviated schedules and traveled with the varsity to the universities that were included in that schedule. Otherwise, they played junior colleges on occasion (we played a home and home with Lon Morris Junior College my frosh year). The frosh football team (the Baylor Cubs) played on Thursdays and usually had a six game schedule.

During and shortly after World War II freshmen were eligible for varsity play, but this changed by 1948. Some of the frosh football squads were quite large. I think that there were about 47 frosh football players in my class in 1950. At that time you could give partial scholarship help to qualified walk ons. Texas (famously or infamously, depending on your point of view) gave 65 or more scholarships yearly in the Darrell Royal era, primarily to deny many of those players to rival programs in the old SWC. When caps were put on scholarships he began to take his lumps and decided to retire into the Athletic Director's position at UT. That did not occur until the 1970s, so his two national championships have an asterisk as far as I am concerned.

Of course, all the large state schools developed their own farm systems in football and basketball, often subsidizing players attending designated junior colleges. The cheating that went on was, by a sort of "gentleman's unspoken agreement" ignored, and anyone reporting it was likely to find themselves ostracized by their colleagues in the coaching fraternity, and might even be called on the carpet by their own administrative superiors. Apple carts were sacrosanct and should not be tipped over, and even the journalists were in on the game.

The decision to permit freshmen to play on the varsity was an accompaniment to the other reforms, including the salary cap, as bodies were needed for practice and talent was too highly valued to be wasted for a year. Most of the freshmen were likely to be redshirted and no one left early for the professional ranks for many years, so there was a time of stability in the transition years.

The rising costs associated with collegiate athletics was not entirely due to Title IX considerations, as most athletic programs then and now operated at a loss, supported by the general fund and by donors, so any reform which could reduce expenditures received a fair hearing, and these matters were all bundled together and given the gloss of being done in the best interest of the student athletes. What we see today is the logical extension of those earlier systems, nurtured by the benign neglect of the NCAA governing body whose greatest concern has always been to maintain the status quo and avoid any dilution of their own power by doing something which might lead to a Congressional hearing. That, above all else, would open up the Pandora's Box that is the NCAA and they could not withstand the public scrutiny that would ensue.

Chamberman
Still playing pro ball in Portugal.
possible12
setshot said:

The theory behind the ban on varsity play for frosh (and that was true for all the collegiate sports) was that it permitted young collegians an opportunity to become acclimated to college, to their classroom studies, and to the campus culture before they became actively engaged in high level, demanding competition. Redshirts were for sophomores, not freshmen, who had abbreviated schedules and traveled with the varsity to the universities that were included in that schedule. Otherwise, they played junior colleges on occasion (we played a home and home with Lon Morris Junior College my frosh year). The frosh football team (the Baylor Cubs) played on Thursdays and usually had a six game schedule.

During and shortly after World War II freshmen were eligible for varsity play, but this changed by 1948. Some of the frosh football squads were quite large. I think that there were about 47 frosh football players in my class in 1950. At that time you could give partial scholarship help to qualified walk ons. Texas (famously or infamously, depending on your point of view) gave 65 or more scholarships yearly in the Darrell Royal era, primarily to deny many of those players to rival programs in the old SWC. When caps were put on scholarships he began to take his lumps and decided to retire into the Athletic Director's position at UT. That did not occur until the 1970s, so his two national championships have an asterisk as far as I am concerned.

Of course, all the large state schools developed their own farm systems in football and basketball, often subsidizing players attending designated junior colleges. The cheating that went on was, by a sort of "gentleman's unspoken agreement" ignored, and anyone reporting it was likely to find themselves ostracized by their colleagues in the coaching fraternity, and might even be called on the carpet by their own administrative superiors. Apple carts were sacrosanct and should not be tipped over, and even the journalists were in on the game.

The decision to permit freshmen to play on the varsity was an accompaniment to the other reforms, including the salary cap, as bodies were needed for practice and talent was too highly valued to be wasted for a year. Most of the freshmen were likely to be redshirted and no one left early for the professional ranks for many years, so there was a time of stability in the transition years.

The rising costs associated with collegiate athletics was not entirely due to Title IX considerations, as most athletic programs then and now operated at a loss, supported by the general fund and by donors, so any reform which could reduce expenditures received a fair hearing, and these matters were all bundled together and given the gloss of being done in the best interest of the student athletes. What we see today is the logical extension of those earlier systems, nurtured by the benign neglect of the NCAA governing body whose greatest concern has always been to maintain the status quo and avoid any dilution of their own power by doing something which might lead to a Congressional hearing. That, above all else, would open up the Pandora's Box that is the NCAA and they could not withstand the public scrutiny that would ensue.

That, and John Wooden's freshman teams were beating his varsity and his varsity was winning 9 straight natties.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.