This year's team

2,872 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bularry
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We might be the worst team in Big 12. We are definitely bottom 3 at this point. I've seen a bit of both OU and Ok St and I wouldn't like our chances right now.

I never thought we'd be in this position with Drew. How can we open new arena with a program in this state? I don't see any hope for near term improvement, either?

I'm hoping Kegler shows dramatic improvement over the next couple of weeks and our team defense tightens up. That's possible and we could do some damage in league play IF those things happen. Odds are low

Ashley Hodge
Staff
I made this comparison on premium that Lon Kruger went with a youth movement- Hield, etc... back in 2013. I watched them get blown out by Gonzaga 70 something to 40 something but by the time conference rolled around, they were a lot better and they went 11-7 including a sweep of Baylor where Hield was the difference.

Hopefully we find a groove the more we practice together. I've heard these kids work really hard and we don't have some of the attitude issues that past teams have had. If accurate, it is a long season and your team in March is not your team in December. We have tons of opportunities that's for sure with almost every game against a top 75 opponent.
PartyBear
Not criticizing Drew because I don't know the situation, how did we apparently at this point drop off? How did we have a talent drop off assuming that is it?
DanaDane
There's no Buddy Hield on this roster who can carry a team with his shooting. A better comparison is to the first post-Hield team that had a bunch of marginal guys who proceeded to go 5-13 and finish 9th in the conference.
BaylorOkie
We don't have Hield, but we have some good players. They need to start playing like it, though.

I'm starting to think that Vital's minutes will begin to be reduced. His offensive deficiencies are still glaring and he isn't making up for them elsewhere. He's not Rico. And we desperately need offense, so others will likely start playing more.
setshot
I have been disappointed in the defense, thus far. I expected Mason to be much more accurate from three point range, and his failure there has been critical in late game situations when he has missed wide open three point opportunities. Our shooting from the arc has not been good, and that spells disaster for a team without a lot of inside strength. Kegler's performance mystifies me - he is not much of an asset right now.

Most of these things can, and probably will, improve as the season goes along. They are all subject to come back to the norm of what these players can do. The chemistry of this team is another matter, and while the abundance of new faces clearly is a part of the problem, some of it is on the coaches, and I think that they would admit to that. Getting the right personnel on the floor and making appropriate substitutions is an element in the development of team chemistry, and no one but the coaches can manage that task.

Drew's teams have a history of starting slow in games and staging furious comebacks, and the one we saw yesterday speaks to that. Unfortunately, they also have fallen short in those comebacks more than a few times.
I do not see why this team, when playing a tough, physical defense, and when ball movement combined with crisp passing, cannot be the team that some of us expected but have not yet seen. If it is in there, the staff must find a way to bring it out. I have confidence in Drew because he has richly earned it. I think that we will see some improvement but it may come too late for this team to play its way into a post season tournament.
Media Bear
Ashley Hodge said:

I made this comparison on premium that Lon Kruger went with a youth movement- Hield, etc... back in 2013. I watched them get blown out by Gonzaga 70 something to 40 something but by the time conference rolled around, they were a lot better and they went 11-7 including a sweep of Baylor where Hield was the difference.

Hopefully we find a groove the more we practice together. I've heard these kids work really hard and we don't have some of the attitude issues that past teams have had. If accurate, it is a long season and your team in March is not your team in December. We have tons of opportunities that's for sure with almost every game against a top 75 opponent.
So ... as long as we find a Buddy Hield in our midst ... we're good.

The_barBEARian
I always felt Maston and Lecomte never got the respect owed to them. Especially Maston. That guy was the king of mid-range jumpers and semed to always come up big when we needed some offense! The two of them carried the team on offense last year and we SHOULD have made the tourney over UT. Not sure why recruiting has taken such a hit, but I am sure facilities have played a big part in it so its nice to see things changing. Drew has earned a bad season or two and I am confident he will get things moving in the right direction once these facility upgrades are finalized. But this season is going to be really ugly... the writing is alrdy on the wall.
xiledinok
How do you blame the facilities? Our coach has been at Baylor 15 years.
The Ferrell Center makes a few other Big 12 arenas look ancient.
The biggest issue is recruiting. It's not ideal in major conferences to build the roster off jucos and transfers from all over the place. Mid major bottom feeders and D2 recruit like we do at this point.
BigOleBear
What happened to the 7' kid from Austin Area, last name Allen? Brother was "one and done" at tu a few years back. Think I heard health issues but expected to be back this year.
bularry
xiledinok said:

The biggest issue is recruiting. It's not ideal in major conferences to build the roster off jucos and transfers from all over the place. Mid major bottom feeders and D2 recruit like we do at this point.

Plenty of teams with transfers doing well. It is more than that
Grizz Air
I don't think its a talent issue as much as it is a gelling issue. At any rate, good thing the seating capacity of our new arena will be half what the ferrell is!
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
xiledinok
bularry said:

xiledinok said:

Plenty of teams with transfers doing well. It is more than that

Might work in mid majors but generally the better conferences get guys out of high school and develop them in their system.
If it was a practical and solid approach, why aren't the major blue bloods taking these guys?
bularry
Kansas best player is s transfer. Nevada best players transfers. It can work.
xiledinok
bularry said:

Generally, it fails miserably. You will run into teams with NBA talent who are transferring to the pros with their next job at 19-20 years old.
Go look at lower tier mid major programs. You'll see foreigners, transfers and guys recruited at the last minute.
Success at the D2 level allows some of it but the rosters look like foreign exchange students in general when trying to glue a roster together.
EGOTbear
bularry said:

Transfer can be great addition of course. But when you try to use them to compromise your whole roster...you see the results so far.

Drew doesn't want to put in the effort on the recruiting trail anymore IMO. Its a natural reaction to doing this for years.
The_barBEARian
EGOTbear said:

bularry said:

Transfer can be great addition of course. But when you try to use them to compromise your whole roster...you see the results so far.

Drew doesn't want to put in the effort on the recruiting trail anymore IMO. Its a natural reaction to doing this for years.
Well, he also needs something to sell recruits... Baylor's attendance isnt great. Drew has produced NBA talent... The improved facilities will give him something he can really sell kids on.
bularry
EGOTbear said:

bularry said:

I don't think Baylor wants to have a whole roster of transfers, but you have to take talent however. Transfers are an integral part of ncaa men's hoops
EvilTroyAndAbed
EGOTbear said:

bularry said:

Wow, you are going to love this season, aren't you? You've been waiting for this for years. Twice a week, we'll get EGOT's "should have fired his a** years ago. Worst coach ever" crap.

You've been wrong way more times than you've been right, but your hatred of Drew will work itself out this season, because I don't think we'll be .500.

So Merry Christmas, EGOT. It only took 11 years to get you your present.
EGOTbear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

EGOTbear said:

bularry said:

Wow, you are going to love this season, aren't you? You've been waiting for this for years. Twice a week, we'll get EGOT's "should have fired his a** years ago. Worst coach ever" crap.

You've been wrong way more times than you've been right, but your hatred of Drew will work itself out this season, because I don't think we'll be .500.

So Merry Christmas, EGOT. It only took 11 years to get you your present.
My present would be Drew finally winning a Big 12 title. Hell I'd even take a tourney win. More likely he'll give me coal this year.

It's gonna be two years in a row of the Drew crew sitting on their thumbs in March. What'll happen if he reaches three? (It won't be surprising seeing how recruiting going) It'll be interesting to see how Rhoades reacts - hes no lame duck Ian.

Btw, have never said Drew is worst coach ever.
Sailor Bear
Ashley Hodge said:

So which of our current players is the future Wooden Award winner?
PartyBear
It might be interesting to see how Mack reacts to the season depending on how it plays out. Mack doesn't seem real patient, especially if you aren't his hire. On the other hand Drew is in his 15th year and has won 70% of his games here.
bear2be2
Bearish said:

Ashley Hodge said:

So which of our current players is the future Wooden Award winner?
Matthew Mayer has the offensive skill set to be. Whether he achieves that ceiling remains to be seen.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

It might be interesting to see how Mack reacts to the season depending on how it plays out. Mack doesn't seem real patient, especially if you aren't his hire. On the other hand Drew is in his 15th year and has won 70% of his games here.
Mack would earn whatever ill fate befell him if he were even to entertain the thought of firing Scott Drew, who has been world's more successful at Baylor than Mack has been at any of his jobs to this point in his career. I like Mack and am glad he's our AD, but my opinion of him would change on a dime if he were to do what a couple have suggested in this thread. Fortunately, I don't see that happening.
BaylorOkie
There's no reason for me to entertain the idea that ADMR is a complete idiot. His track record says otherwise.
bularry
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

Mack would earn whatever ill fate befell him if he were even to entertain the thought of firing Scott Drew, who has been world's more successful at Baylor than Mack has been at any of his jobs to this point in his career. I like Mack and am glad he's our AD, but my opinion of him would change on a dime if he were to do what a couple have suggested in this thread. Fortunately, I don't see that happening.

This is true. Our program has slid into apathetic mediocrity, but Drew has earned a mile long leash to work the program out of this funk

I ain't happy, but I'm glad to have Drew
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.