Story Poster
Baylor Basketball

MBB: Baylor (15-7; 6-3) vs KSU (17-5; 7-2) Preview & Game Thread

February 7, 2019

Baylor (15-7; 6-3) hosts Kansas State (17-5; 7-2) Saturday February 9th at the Ferrell Center at 5pm CST.  The game is televised on ESPN2.  

KenPom Rankings

KSU:  36 overall; 167 offensive efficiency; 5 defensive efficiency

Baylor:  28 overall; 26 offensive efficiency; 41 defensive efficiency

Prediction:  Baylor 63 Kansas State 58

Coaches

KSU:  Bruce Weber (62); 454-240;  12 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s; 1 Final 4; 1 NC game

Baylor:  Scott Drew (48); 333-213 overall (313-202 at Baylor); 7 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

KSU Starters

PG:  Kamau Stokes (SR) 6-0 170 lbs; 10 ppg; 3 asst; 38% FG; 36% 3pt; 74% FT

SG:  Barry Brown (SR); 6-3 195 lbs; 15 ppg; 4 reb; 3 asst; 2 steals; 45% FG; 32% 3pt; 70% FT

SF:  Xavier Sneed (FR) 6-5 220 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 39% FG; 35% 3pt; 66% FT

PF:  Dean Wade (SR); 6-8 230 lbs; 13 ppg; 6 reb; 3 assts; 50% FG; 47% 3pt; 80% FT

C:  Makol Mawien (JR) 6-9 250 lbs; 7 ppg; 5 reb; 52% FG; 66% FT

KSU Bench

F:  Levi Stockard  (SO); 6-8 240 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 54% FG; 41% FT

G:  Mike McGuirl (SO) 6-2 195 lbs; 4 ppg; 2 reb; 37% FG; 30% 3pt; 56% FT

Baylor Starters

PG:  Makai Mason (SR) 6-1 180 lbs; 15 ppg; 2 reb; 3 asst; 46% FG; 35% 3pt; 83% FT

SG:  Jared Butler (FR) 6-3 185 lbs; 10 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 40% FG; 37% 3pt; 82% FT

SF:  Mario Kegler (SO) 6-7 230 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 1 blk; 44% FG; 29% 3pt; 65% FT

PF:  Mark Vital (SO) 6-5 230 lbs; 7 ppg; 7 reb; 2 asst; 44% FG; 21% 3pt; 51% FT

C:  Freddie Gillespie (JR) 6-9 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 4 reb; 1 blk; 65% FG; 64% FT

Baylor Bench

G:  King McClure (SR) 6-3 215 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 41% FG; 39% 3pt; 64% FT

G:  Devonte Bandoo (JR) 6-3 195 lbs; 9 ppg; 2 reb; 46% FG; 41% 3pt; 90% FT

F:  Matthew Mayer (FR) 6-9 200 lbs; 5 ppg; 2 reb; 33% FG; 32% 3pt; 64% FT

F:   Flo Thamba (FR) 6-10 240 lbs; 2 ppg; 3 reb; 1 blk; 58% FG; 54% FT

Discussion from...

MBB: Baylor (15-7; 6-3) vs KSU (17-5; 7-2) Preview & Game Thread

19,302 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BellCountyBear
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What happened to the other JUCO guard from Florida who was gonna light it up this year? Is he injured too? I haven't seen him on the floor at all today.
Wichitabear
We just loss
CaliByWayOfKS
We've played a good game down 2 starters, but we are shooting some of the worst 3's I've seen... like beyond NBA range.

3 missed shots, 2 fouls, a missed 1 and 1, and 1 turnover in the last 3 min has been crushing.
Johnny Bear
EGOTbear said:

get okeke off the floor
I get it we're riddled with injuries, but why did he get that many minutes in this game? Has Allen fallen off the map that bad, or is he hurt also?
KajunKarlsdad
That probably sealed it.
Johnny Bear
We're toast. Just so frustrating having those key injuries for the biggest game of our season to date.
rudylaw
Great effort. Was really hoping Makai would have a relatively healthy conference season but that was foolish to believe. What could've been...
KajunKarlsdad
I'm guessing Mason will miss the OU game too since he's in a boot?
DanaDane
Looks like we gave a great effort but are gonna cough up this one. Helluva game by Gillespie though. I can't get over how much he's improved since the first of the season.
bularry
We look bad again
Yeek
Johnny Bear said:

We're toast. Just so frustrating having those key injuries for the biggest game of our season to date.

Nah this isn't the biggest game of our season to date according to some.
Yeek
Johnny Bear said:

EGOTbear said:

get okeke off the floor
I get it we're riddled with injuries, but why did he get that many minutes in this game? Has Allen fallen off the map that bad, or is he hurt also?

Wondering the same thing, was Allen unavailable? He's in to end the game though.
HoustonBear15
That was a huge flop.
rudylaw
Johnny Bear said:

EGOTbear said:

get okeke off the floor

Allen seems like a pretty good transfer candidate. If he's not getting minutes tonight and he's healthy... yeesh.
CHP Bear
Yeek said:

Johnny Bear said:

This game and Texas were breakout games. KSt today is a home game. Losing home games are killers. Right now Big 12 is ripe for us and 3 to 4 others. Got to win home games if we are going to be in the hunt.
BaylorOkie
Great effort. This team didn't settle for excuses. This same game will beat OU on Monday.
Yeek
CHP Bear said:

Yeek said:

Johnny Bear said:

This game and Texas were breakout games. KSt today is a home game. Losing home games are killers. Right now Big 12 is ripe for us and 3 to 4 others. Got to win home games if we are going to be in the hunt.

Exactly, we can't drop home games in this conference. No one sees who played and who didn't in March when looking at records. It's just unfortunate that 10 and 3 were out.
Johnny Bear
I know OU has been slumping lately and we did what we did to them in Norman, but assuming Mason and King aren't available Monday night, that game becomes more uncertain as well.
KajunKarlsdad
Need 3 or 4 more wins to lock in an NCAA berth, very do-able if we get Mason back soon. Hopefully King's knee is minor too.
bear2be2
CHP Bear said:

Yeek said:

Johnny Bear said:

This was true when we had a semi-healthy roster. We're just trying to keep our head above water at this point.

I'm thrilled we played as well as we did against the best and most talented team in the Big 12 this year.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

EGOTbear said:

get okeke off the floor
Because with Mason and McClure out, we don't have enough ball-handlers. Neither Bandoo nor Allen are point guards, leaving us without a scholarship player to spell Butler when he's out. Thus Okeke gets those minutes.
BUVA
KajunKarlsdad said:

I'm guessing Mason will miss the OU game too since he's in a boot?

CSD just said he has bruised foot.
Csw86
First time poster, first time viewer. Felt the need to vent about the crowd (lack thereof) in the lower section. I noticed with about 5-6 minutes left as we're fighting to hold the lead at home, the ENTIRE lower section was seated. How can we ever expect to win at home, or have a home court advantage with that attitude? Has this been discussed before? Watch any other conference arena and they are ROCKING! So frustrating to see
CHP Bear
bear2be2 said:

CHP Bear said:

Yeek said:

Johnny Bear said:

This was true when we had a semi-healthy roster. We're just trying to keep our head above water at this point.

I'm thrilled we played as well as we did against the best and most talented team in the Big 12 this year.
Good points. KSt is a good team. We played them close with the players available for the game. No doubt in my mind we'll be in the NCAA Tourney. This year I'm of the belief we could win the Big 12 Tourney. But if we're to win the Big 12 Conf we must win the home games.
bear2be2
CHP Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

CHP Bear said:

Yeek said:

Johnny Bear said:

Good points. KSt is a good team. We played them close with the players available for the game. No doubt in my mind we'll be in the NCAA Tourney. This year I'm of the belief we could win the Big 12 Tourney. But if we're to win the Big 12 Conf we must win the home games.
I just don't have any illusions that we're going to win the Big 12 regular season title. Even with Mason and McClure healthy, I thought was a long shot.

I'm still hopeful we'll make the NCAA tournament, but this week's injuries have me a little concerned. I know this team will give all it has and fight, but I can't see it winning on the road at Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State or Tech, which will force us to win every remaining home game to get to 10 wins in conference. Fortunately, all of those games are winnable, but that's a lot of pressure for a team that may or may not be missing its top two players for all of those games.
MrGolfguy
Good effort by the under-manned Bears tonight, but 3 missing starters is hard to overcome; at least against a very good team like possible league champ KSU.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
geewago
Csw86 said:

First time poster, first time viewer. Felt the need to vent about the crowd (lack thereof) in the lower section. I noticed with about 5-6 minutes left as we're fighting to hold the lead at home, the ENTIRE lower section was seated. How can we ever expect to win at home, or have a home court advantage with that attitude? Has this been discussed before? Watch any other conference arena and they are ROCKING! So frustrating to see
I'd hazard a guess that it's been discussed around 200 times if you go all the way back to the old Baylorfans.com.
BellCountyBear
kstate starters > Baylor's bench

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.