Feb. 10, 1990

2,186 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Surf Oso
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
whitetrash
And it was the lead story on SportsCenter until Buster Douglas took down Mike Tyson later that evening.
bularry
I was there. Big crowd that day
Jokerman
I was part of the court-rushing that glorious day. Decided to go trash talk Mario Credit, and got thrown off the floor by Ferrell security.
... and then turned around and got back out in the middle of it. One of my favorite Baylor sports memories.
BearlyConscious
Was at that game. Remember it well. My roommate had some friends who went to school at Arkansas staying with us that weekend. They were talking all kinds of trash before the game. Needless to say, we were relentless after the game. I think they left a day early to go home, because they couldn't take it any more...
Stefano DiMera
Nolan Richardson hated Gene Iba..and then Moe Iba and TCU beat em on Monday.
xiledinok
Toby was also the a state HS hurdles qualifier and an amazing athlete.
RegentCoverup
Toby was one of the first few people I met at Baylor and IMO proof that Iba had no grasp of talent.

Just a great, classy guy and a good man.
Self Made Bear
I was at that game also and rushed the court. As I remember David Wesley had a big game. Jake Lindsey's Dad was on that team.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
I was there as well.

Tim Schumacher had himself a game as well.
Stefano DiMera
Iba was no worse than 98% of the coaches back then..and in fact..was better than a lot of them..how else do you explain our first NCAA appearance in almost 40 years and 2 NIT apprearences?

The only coaches ahead of their time back then running up tempo were Richardson Penders and Tarkanian.
Big12Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

I was there as well.

Who else was on that team? Willie Sublett?
Stefano DiMera
Julius Denton Michael Hobbs Joey Fatta Ivan Jones
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Big12Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

I was there as well.

Alex Holcombe and Kelvin Chalmers, no Sublett
Brian Ethridge
Staff
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/baylor/1990.html
Big12Bear
Brian Ethridge said:

Big12Bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

I was there as well.

Alex Holcombe and Kelvin Chalmers, no Sublett
Chief and Chalmers. Those were men.
Self Made Bear
Can't believe The Chief played here 30 years ago!

Didn't Julius Denton also play football?
EvilTroyAndAbed
I ran on the court. We sat right behind the Baylor bench. No bear pit back then.
Johnny Bear
Stefano DiMera said:

Nolan Richardson hated Gene Iba..and then Moe Iba and TCU beat em on Monday.
Nolan Richardson was/is a total jerk and I've always hated it that he won a NC later in the 90's after Arky jumped to the SEC. I seem to recall a game in Fayetteville once where they were beating us in blowout fashion and Richardson had his big fat center, Oliver Miller, play point guard in the waning minutes and deliberately show boat with one on one moves just to mock Gene Iba. That may've been the same game when he popped off to Iba in the handshake line at the end and Iba really verbally went off on him.
RegentCoverup
Stefano DiMera said:

Iba was no worse than 98% of the coaches back then..and in fact..was better than a lot of them..how else do you explain our first NCAA appearance in almost 40 years and 2 NIT apprearences?

The only coaches ahead of their time back then running up tempo were Richardson Penders and Tarkanian.
That's like saying most coaches then hated their players. Sorry, not buying that Not citing his tactics as a coach, Iba was a jerk, not sure he liked the players he coached.

I wouldn't put Penders in that list.

RegentCoverup
Self Made Bear said:

Can't believe The Chief played here 30 years ago!

Didn't Julius Denton also play football?
Yep. Couple of crazy athletes on that team.
Stefano DiMera
I loved the SWC..there was so much hatred..Abe Lemons vs Eddie Sutton..Nolan versus Penders..

Remember when Iba and 6'10 John Shumate the SMU coach had to be separated in post game handshake?

There was one year we had about 3 on court scrums..one down in Not A College Station was a real bruhaha.. Iba's teams would battle you.
Jokerman
Iba's teams were already beaten down by having to play for Gene Iba. They were a bitter bunch. Hated that for them, as those were some good guys.
I was in on a couple of Nolan Richardson post-game pressers (as a Lariat scribe), and he was likewise a bowl of sunshine. I would have loved to have him coach my team, but he was a surly sort.
Surf Oso
so we had an indoor track meet in OKC that day. Like most track meets, not many fans save for a few parents. They announce that score and all you could hear was the track team and coaches yelling. Don't know if that is significant or not, but definitely memorable to me.
Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.