Note to Big 12 Media: Drew should be Big 12 COY

1,584 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And in the running for national COY. Winning like this with such huge injuries is almost unheard of.

I know we've discussed his candidacy in other threads, but if there are any media members scouring boards, they should know that if they vote for anyone, including whichever coach has the team that dethrones KU, they should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Drew deserved COY in 07-08 for the magnitude of what he had achieved, but the media yokels in basketball country were morons. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake again.
xiledinok
Do they normally give COY for finishing 4th or lower?
MrGolfguy
Finishing 4th or better with several starters missing significant time (8 scholly players suited up for the KSU game) after being picked preseason to finish 9th. Seems like COY credentials to me.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
EvilTroyAndAbed
MrGolfguy said:

Finishing 4th or better with several starters missing significant time (8 scholly players suited up for the KSU game) after being picked preseason to finish 9th. Seems like COY credentials to me.
Don't mind X. He hates Drew. Has for years.
Stefano DiMera
Matt Campbell is glad they do...twice in a row..
Sailor Bear
xiledinok said:

Using the Google and Wiki machines, the following COY winners have finished 4th place or lower in the conference:

2016 - Tubby Smith, TTU (7th)
2015 - Bob Huggins, WVU (T-4th)
2005 - Billy Gillispie, TAMU (7th)

That's it.
xiledinok
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

MrGolfguy said:

Don't mind X. He hates Drew. Has for years.

Don't think voters get excited about 4th place.
Johnny Bear
Let's see how we finish. Still got 7 tough games left.

I will also admit that I thought this was going to be a 9th or 10th place B12 team even with Clark and a relatively healthy Mason, but Drew has obviously kept that from happening - even if in a worst case scenario we crater down the stretch of the conference race.
CNC
xiledinok said:

Mulkey has won 8 straight regular season conference titles, and 7 tournament titles in 8 years.

She was named COY in 2018, 2015, 2013, 2012, & 2011 in that time.

Can you figure it out from here?

And I agree with the original poster about Drew. This may be his most impressive coaching season of his career (no disrespect to two Elite 8 teams). He probably won't get it b/c he's by far the most underrated in the Big 12, and has been for years.

Not to mention we were pre-season ranked #9 in conference. And how many new faces do we have on this team? Nearly everyone except Clark, King, Vital, and never-got-to-play Lindsey.

xiledinok
CNC said:

xiledinok said:

Mulkey has won 8 straight regular season conference titles, and 7 tournament titles in 8 years.

She was named COY in 2018, 2015, 2013, 2012, & 2011 in that time.

Can you figure it out from here?

And I agree with the original poster about Drew. This may be his most impressive coaching season of his career (no disrespect to two Elite 8 teams). He probably won't get it b/c he's by far the most underrated in the Big 12, and has been for years.

Not to mention we were pre-season ranked #9 in conference. And how many new faces do we have on this team? Nearly everyone except Clark, King, Vital, and never-got-to-play Lindsey.

Unfortunately, the voters are not novice fans. There's not a real chance finishing lower than 3rd this season.
Dia del DougO
In Big 12 terms, If Kansas State guy wins conference regular season, he's going to get the nod. For that matter, anybody but Kansas wins it, their coach probably gets COTY.

And that's just conference.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
bear2be2
Dia del DougO said:

In Big 12 terms, If Kansas State guy wins conference regular season, he's going to get the nod. For that matter, anybody but Kansas wins it, their coach probably gets COTY.

And that's just conference.
Bruce Weber has done a good job this year and at K-State in general, but they returned more talent than anyone else in conference. After bringing back almost all of their starters from an Elite Eight team, it would have been a major disappointment if they weren't really good this year.

No coach in this conference -- and maybe the country -- has done a better job than Scott Drew has this year. If we do enough in league play to make the tournament, he should earn a co-coach of the year nod at the very least.
Stefano DiMera
Rick Barnes is a shoo in for National Coach of Year.
bear2be2
Stefano DiMera said:

Rick Barnes is a shoo in for National Coach of Year.
I agree, barring collapse. But I never thought Drew would win a national COY honor. I was just making that point that he's done as good a job as anyone in the country this year.

To take a team with three returning lettermen, deal with all the personnel fluctuations he has and still have it in position to finish in the top half of the Big 12 and make the tournament is a tremendous accomplishment. He's done something that's really, really difficult to do once in a season -- overhaul your team's identity -- about five times already this year. That speaks to his ability to coach and build chemistry. It also speaks to this team's versatility and the players' buy-in and willingness to adapt.
Stefano DiMera
I agree.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.