Would you say it's time for everyone to panic?

7,400 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Banned BarleyMcDougal
Banned BarleyMcDougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, I would Kent.

I don't know how long Mason and McClure will be out, but a game like WVU at home gets scary if these guys are out. That's not even considering that we've still got 4 really tough games coming up (UT, @KSU, @KU, @ISU). As much as they contribute on the offensive end, turnovers are equally concerning.

Hopefully they get healthy quick. I'd love for this to be a reactionary, over-the-top statement, but it seems all too real.
Stefano DiMera
Yes. If your goal is to win conference title.
No. If your goal is to make tournament.

Makai will be back soon.
bularry
Stefano DiMera said:

Makai will be back soon.

You can kiss conference title goodbye
bear2be2
bularry said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Makai will be back soon.

This team was never going to win a conference title. Anyone who viewed that as a realistic goal drank way too much Kool-Aid and/or never looked at the back half of our schedule.

And the injuries to Mason and McClure should have reset everyone's expectations ... at least for the games played without them. We can beat West Virginia and Oklahoma State at home with or without those guys. But games at Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State and Kansas, which were going to be tough at full strength, now take extraordinary efforts on both sides of the court just to be competitive. That's what happens when you lose your two best players and three of your best four to injury.
The Old BEAR
Stefano DiMera said:

Makai will be back soon.

Yep. Your Yale Boy will be back soon.... only to get hurt again.
Check his track history. This guy can't go a month without injury in 5 years of Basketball.
He's a walking role of Ace Bandages.
"Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

---Arthur Ray Briles---
CHP Bear
bear2be2 said:

bularry said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Makai will be back soon.

This team was never going to win a conference title. Anyone who viewed that as a realistic goal drank way too much Kool-Aid and/or never looked at the back half of our schedule.

And the injuries to Mason and McClure should have reset everyone's expectations ... at least for the games played without them. We can beat West Virginia and Oklahoma State at home with or without those guys. But games at Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State and Kansas, which were going to be tough at full strength, now take extraordinary efforts on both sides of the court just to be competitive. That's what happens when you lose your two best players and three of your best four to injury.
Three games ago we were in the hunt for a conference title. Possibility yes. Reality no. Injuries have changed the narrative. Outside of WV and OKSt not good gauntlet. A heathy team maybe a top half finish. Teams are starting to separate. Losing to WV and OKSt should give us a lock on NIT. Given the condition of our team and 18 wins, Big Dance is a stretch. Even with a 9-9 Big12 record. As for Drew and the team, outside of a couple easily losses it has been a really good season. Who knows, we go deep in Kansa City and ? After all, "It ain't over till it's over."
pilgrim
It depends who and what team is on the floor. I am not inclined to give up on a Scott Drew team.
bear2be2
CHP Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

bularry said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Makai will be back soon.

Three games ago we were in the hunt for a conference title. Possibility yes. Reality no. Injuries have changed the narrative. Outside of WV and OKSt not good gauntlet. A heathy team maybe a top half finish. Teams are starting to separate. Losing to WV and OKSt should give us a lock on NIT. Given the condition of our team and 18 wins, Big Dance is a stretch. Even with a 9-9 Big12 record. As for Drew and the team, outside of a couple easily losses it has been a really good season. Who knows, we go deep in Kansa City and ? After all, "It ain't over till it's over."
I still think an NCAA tournament berth is very possible. Because of how well we played the first half, picking up three road wins, all we have to do take care of business at home to get to 10-8 in league play and all but clinch a spot in the tourney. I like our chances against Oklahoma State and West Virginia regardless, but Texas will be tough without Mason and/or McClure. Hopefully both are back by then.
The Old BEAR
pilgrim said:

It depends who and what team is on the floor. I am not inclined to give up on a Scott Drew team.
I gave up on them in 2002.
Never been back since then....

---Arthur Ray Briles---
rudylaw
Safe to assume we'll be getting run on the road the rest of the way with/without Makai and King. 2 of our remaining home games are comfortable wins with UT 60/40 IMO. Still solidly in the field even after Tuesday if ISU throttles us. I would assume CSD will hold them out there as well to have them back for the 3 home dates.
bear2be2
The Old BEAR said:

pilgrim said:

And yet you still post here. Curious.
Stefano DiMera
What's the status of the Dean Wade injury? He left game yesterday.

I mean..we control our own destiny if we win out .and KSU loses another in addition to against us
Stefano DiMera
What the hell happened in 2002 that was so shattering?
Fozzie
BarleyMcDougal said:

Yes, I would Kent.

I don't know how long Mason and McClure will be out, but a game like WVU at home gets scary if these guys are out. That's not even considering that we've still got 4 really tough games coming up (UT, @KSU, @KU, @ISU). As much as they contribute on the offensive end, turnovers are equally concerning.

Hopefully they get healthy quick. I'd love for this to be a reactionary, over-the-top statement, but it seems all too real.
have you seen West Virginia play lately? I'm not taking any game for granted, but we should be able to beat WVU and OSU at home without Mason. Don't want to test that theory however.
Fozzie
The Old BEAR said:

pilgrim said:

you gave up on Scott Drew in 2002? You didn't like what you saw from Valpo that year? You are a piece of work.

For someone that talks about how much they like toughness all the time, you should really watch Baylor MBB games because they are one of the toughest teams in the nation.

But you probably wouldn't recognize it since you have to be that to recognize that.
The Old BEAR
Fozzie said:

The Old BEAR said:

pilgrim said:

you gave up on Scott Drew in 2002? You didn't like what you saw from Valpo that year? You are a piece of work.

For someone that talks about how much they like toughness all the time, you should really watch Baylor MBB games because they are one of the toughest teams in the nation.

But you probably wouldn't recognize it since you have to be that to recognize that.
Who is Valpo..??
I never met the guy!
I remember Tommy Bowman and Vennie Johnson.
Now I enjoyed the old SWC days with all the fights and throwing flashlight batteries.
You around during those days?

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Stefano DiMera
Yeah the Carrol Dawson/Jim Haller era was the pinnacle of Baylor basketball..how will Drew even reach that high bar?!

Iba accomplished more than those 2 in 3 years than they did in 20 years!
The Old BEAR
Stefano DiMera said:

Yeah the Carrol Dawson/Jim Haller era was the pinnacle of Baylor basketball..how will Drew even reach that high bar?!

Iba accomplished more than those 2 in 3 years than they did in 20 years!
Carrol Dawson was an assistant coach back in the day.
Is Iba a friend of Valpo?
I ditched MBB a long time ago.
When the brawls stopped... it stopped being entertaining.

---Arthur Ray Briles---
jdrs
Then I am confused why you are commenting if you ditched MBB?
jdrs
As to the original post... not really panicked. With this many injuries, only hoping guys get healthy. Will be disappointed if we keep losing, but the injuries will be the reason for the loss(es).
Stefano DiMera
Carroll Dawson was HEAD COACH of Baylor back in day.

And we brawled always under Iba..I remember my senior year at least 4 bench clearing scrums that year. The one at G.Rollie White was great. The Iba -John Shumate shoving match was great.
KOKQB70
Old Bear must be older than me, and why say your Yale boy, geez, he's Baylor player who has helped immensely, dang Old Bear, maybe post on Aggie board, maybe too old for younger crowd here!
Timbear
Old Man Bear, if you left MBB so long ago, then get the H- out of here.
The Old BEAR
Timbear said:

Old Man Bear, if you left MBB so long ago, then get the H- out of here.
Timmy... If for no other reason, I'll stick around just knowing you are reading.
Just think, another Month and this Basketball crap will be over for the year!

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Back on topic. Haven't heard much on McClure's knee issue. Ligament sprain? Those can be slow to improve. Slight tear? If we can get him and Mason back with even limited minutes, assuming they're still effective on offense, that might give the team enough firepower to limp into the tourney. It would be nice to know they've punched their ticket and sit out the Big 12 Tournament to get healthy.
Timbear
Old Man Bear, I wish your crap would be over in a month.
The Old BEAR
Timbear said:

Old Man Bear, I wish your crap would be over in a month.
Timmy...
You got to go back to names you are too young to remember.
BUBear (Mike George) and the original Baylor Fans site.
The Old BEAR was a charter member and has been around ever since.
I am world famous for my predictions coming true.
I shocked Baylorville when I predicted the Briles' scandal 4 days after he arrived in Waco.
I laid it out... years before it happened.
Many fear that my prediction on RG3 will come true. They see him trending in that direction.
It too, will happen in the next 18 months.

But the Bubble is a false concept that does not prepare people for the real world.
College should be a time to prepare you for the World.
Not a Bubble to insulate you from it.
It wasn't always that way.... But Robert Sloan changed it for the BAD.
You Timmy, are trapped in the Bubble.

---Arthur Ray Briles---
Timbear
Move on, Old Bear. Everybody's tired of your stuff.
xiledinok
Timbear said:

Move on, Old Bear. Everybody's tired of your stuff.

Tim, you and Bear agree on Drew.
Now, Bear might write a check for men's tickets IF he could effectively use it as a tax donation.

BearlyBeloved
bear2be2 said:

bularry said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Makai will be back soon.

I've always liked Kool-Aid.
bear2be2
BearlyBeloved said:

bear2be2 said:

bularry said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Makai will be back soon.

I've always liked Kool-Aid.
I'll drink some tonight. If Scott Drew doesn't at least get a share the Big 12 Coach of the Year honor this season, there's no justice.
rudylaw
That's how you steal a win without stealing a win since BU was in control the whole game. So happy Makai gutted this one out.
EvilTroyAndAbed
I'm so glad Old Bear didn't watch that game (or any game in the past 17 years). We don't need him.
BaylorOkie
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I'm so glad Old Bear didn't watch that game (or any game in the past 17 years). We don't need him.
He'll be by soon to talk about Dallas money, Bible thumpers, and how KM owns Waco. And whatever else he learned from last night's meeting at the Waco Club for Chest Hair Groomers and Fake Rich Guys.
Stefano DiMera
That conference title race just got a little more interesting..and we're part of it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.