Another Mirror Year

14,781 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Same ole same ole coming out of Waco in the basketball department. Win enough to satisfy the few fans left. It's always injuries, projects, depth or any other reason but the results are like a washing machine slogging back and forth.

This season is very typical of the last 15.
MrGolfguy
Awesome! I'll take another Elite 8.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
EasyE
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Same ole same ole coming out of Waco in the basketball department. Win enough to satisfy the few fans left. It's always injuries, projects, depth or any other reason but the results are like a washing machine slogging back and forth.

I would rather have this kind of season knowing the staff isn't doing something illegal to achieve better results than one which is more successful because of such unscrupulous activities.
Aliceinbubbleland
2 outta what? 16 years?
bear2be2
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Get the **** out of here with this ***** This was expected by literally everyone to be a rebuilding year. The only reason anyone is disappointed right now is because this team massively overachieved this season.

If we do the same thing next year, with just about everyone back and a couple of impact guards joining the mix, feel free to *****. But doing so now because an extremely gutty team has run out of gas is weak sauce.
Johnny Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

It's a weird phenomenon, but it's clear for men's bball the majority of our fans are fine with never winning conference titles (of any kind)*, always finishing third or (usually) lower in the conference, and never going to a final four, as long as we just get into the tournament most years and occasionally make the sweet 16 or even (once in a blue moon) an elite 8. We have higher aspirations for virtually all of our other sports, but for men's bball, we're fine with just about anything that's at least slightly higher than mediocrity. As far as this particular season goes, Drew does deserve a lot of credit for taking the team as far as he did given the key player injuries he had to deal with and he should be applauded for that - but at the same time, your point is well taken - there's always one or more excuses season in and season out. But again, the majority of us are just fine with that and I'm sure we'll just keep rockin' and rollin' accordingly.

* - Before anyone posts something like "But, but, but Kansas wins all of the conference titles!!", Texas Tech and Kansas State say "hello", plus ISU has won 3 of the last 5 Big 12 men's bball Tourneys. And in 3 seasons Chris Beard has already accomplished what Drew has failed to do in 16 seasons.
Bear8084
bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Get the **** out of here with this ***** This was expected by literally everyone to be a rebuilding year. The only reason anyone is disappointed right now is because this team massively overachieved this season.

If we do the same thing next year, with just about everyone back and a couple of impact guards joining the mix, feel free to *****. But doing so now because an extremely gutty team has run out of gas is weak sauce.
Yup. And here comes the "No conference titles!" ignorance.
robby44
We were picked to finish 9th
Finished 4th
I'm not sure what OP was expecting this season?
Stefano DiMera
Suggestions Alice? Of course not...you just want to start a thread to hear your head rattle.
CHP Bear
robby44 said:

Finished 4th
Not sure what OP expected this year, but I expected a win over Okie Lite in Waco.
rudylaw
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Let's hope! I like seeing the Bears in the second weekend!
Johnny Bear
rudylaw said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I don't think getting there a few times over the course of 15 seasons constitutes "typical"........
bear2be2
CHP Bear said:

robby44 said:

Finished 4th
Not sure what OP expected this year, but I expected a win over Okie Lite in Waco.
That was literally the only game in conference play we lost that we should have won. We won a minimum of four games that we "shouldn't have." Using that game as a referendum on this season is beyond stupid.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

rudylaw said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I don't think getting there a few times over the course of 15 seasons constitutes "typical"........
Well, we've gotten there four times since 2010, so ...

You've got to love Baylor basketball "fans." They're nowhere to be found most of the season and crawl out of the woodwork like cockroaches at the slightest sign of adversity.

You guys are going to be miserable when we're back in the Sweet 16 next year.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

It's a weird phenomenon, but it's clear for men's bball the majority of our fans are fine with never winning conference titles (of any kind)*, always finishing third or (usually) lower in the conference, and never going to a final four, as long as we just get into the tournament most years and occasionally make the sweet 16 or even (once in a blue moon) an elite 8. We have higher aspirations for virtually all of our other sports, but for men's bball, we're fine with just about anything that's at least slightly higher than mediocrity. As far as this particular season goes, Drew does deserve a lot of credit for taking the team as far as he did given the key player injuries he had to deal with and he should be applauded for that - but at the same time, your point is well taken - there's always one or more excuses season in and season out. But again, the majority of us are just fine with that and I'm sure we'll just keep rockin' and rollin' accordingly.

* - Before anyone posts something like "But, but, but Kansas wins all of the conference titles!!", Texas Tech and Kansas State say "hello", plus ISU has won 3 of the last 5 Big 12 men's bball Tourneys. And in 3 seasons Chris Beard has already accomplished what Drew has failed to do in 16 seasons.
This is such a stupid post. And the sad thing is you're probably really proud of it.

How many coaches do you think exist out there that would a) outperform Scott Drew at Baylor, b) be willing to coach in front of a 40 percent capacity crowd most nights and c) stick around to listen to fans that don't show up at games ***** about how we're not winning enough.

Baylor is a really ****ty job for a men's basketball coach. We as fans should be thanking our lucky stars that we've found a coach with Scott Drew's ability and loyalty, not giving him additional reasons to leave.
Cobretti
Low T therapy may cure this mindset
Johnny Bear
bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

rudylaw said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

You've got to love Baylor basketball "fans." They're nowhere to be found most of the season and crawl out of the woodwork like cockroaches at the slightest sign of adversity.

No, not true, but I also don't get why so many of our fans think that is the pinnacle of everything we could possibly hope for and if we'd like to see something more, we're just idiots for even dreaming about it. And that kind of thinking seems to only apply to men's bball. Sorry - it's just odd to me.
Johnny Bear
bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

This is such a stupid post. And the sad thing is you're probably really proud of it.

How many coaches do you think exist out there that would a) outperform Scott Drew at Baylor, b) be willing to coach in front of a 40 percent capacity crowd most nights and c) stick around to listen to fans that don't show up at games ***** about how we're not winning enough.

Baylor is a really ****ty job for a men's basketball coach. We as fans should be thanking our lucky stars that we've found a coach with Scott Drew's ability and loyalty, not giving him additional reasons to leave.
Okay, you convinced me. Wanting to actually win a championship of some kind or go to a final four is just a ridiculous hope for our men's bball program. What kind of a stupid fan would want something like that?? What a bunch of idiots!!
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

rudylaw said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

No, not true, but I also don't get why so many of our fans think that is the pinnacle of everything we could possibly hope for and if we'd like to see something more, we're just idiots for even dreaming about it. And that kind of thinking seems to only apply to men's bball. Sorry - it's just odd to me.
The past 10 years quite literally represent the pinnacle for a program that has been playing basketball for more than a century ... by a massive freaking margin. Folks with perspective give Scott Drew credit for building a consistent tournament team at a wasteland of a program. Those without ***** about what he hasn't done.
Cobretti
Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I agree with pursuing excellence, but I couldn't care less about MBB conference titles. Kansas won 14 in a row but only won the national title once in that time frame with McDonald's All-American studs every year. I care about results in the big tourney. I'd give up every conference title forever for a chance to replay the last five minutes against Duke in the Elite 8 to get in the Final Four where it counts. Let Tech and K-State enjoy their shared conference banner in a down year for Kansas. The big tourney is all that matters.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Okay, you convinced me. Wanting to actually win a championship of some kind or go to a final four is just a ridiculous hope for our men's bball program. What kind of a stupid fan would want something like that?? What a bunch of idiots!!
Everyone wants a championship and a Final Four appearance. Making those things the mark of a successful season/coaching tenure in a program that made four NCAA tournament appearances from 1939 until Drew's arrival and gets no support from its fan base is idiotic.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Yeah, can't complain about this year. Everything is gravy.

Expectations should be very high NEXT year.
Johnny Bear
NeonBU said:

Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I agree with pursuing excellence, but I couldn't care less about MBB conference titles. Kansas won 14 in a row but only won the national title once in that time frame with McDonald's All-American studs every year. I care about results in the big tourney. I'd give up every conference title forever for a chance to replay the last five minutes against Duke in the Elite 8 to get in the Final Four where it counts. Let Tech and K-State enjoy their shared conference banner in a down year for Kansas. The big tourney is all that matters.
Well, at least you agree with pursuing excellence. Refreshing to hear.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

NeonBU said:

Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Everyone agrees with pursuing excellence. You're not as special as you think you are. In fact, you're among the fools who think you can achieve that level of excellence without the requisite commitment to it. The state of Texas has one men's basketball national title in its history and that was from Texas Western more than 50 years ago. You know why that is? Because basketball is not important in this part of the country. You can't demand championships without first building a championship culture, and Baylor men's basketball will never have that among its fan base.

If you want Baylor to win championships and go to Final Fours, you need to start getting your ass to games ... and bringing 9,000 of your friends ... and repeating that game after game, year after year, win or lose. The reason blue bloods are blue bloods is because they care about being great, and their fans do their part to make it happen. *****ing from your couch because our coach is taking our graveyard of a program to Sweet 16s and Elite Eights rather than Final Fours and championships doesn't make you a good fan. It makes you a delusional one.
BaylorHistory
bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

rudylaw said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Usually these are the vocal Mulkey supporters who want to compare and assume that the sports are equal and that Drew should be doing more. Never mind that Baylor is one of like 5 schools that actually tries at WBB when every school in the country tries at MBB. Also, they completely ignore the pre-Drew era and effectively are trying to get rid of our GOAT...for who I haven't a clue.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
xiledinok
Johnny, they throw around on the pay side what an Elite coach we have at Baylor. Never heard one person outside a message board or the Baylor community that feels the same.
16 out of 32 years Baylor has played in the FC, Drew has been the coach.
Now, we have to build a fieldhouse with zero modern features like club and suite levels for us to compete for championships.
bear2be2
BaylorHistory said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

rudylaw said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Usually these are the vocal Mulkey supporters who want to compare and assume that the sports are equal and that Drew should be doing more. Never mind that Baylor is one of like 5 schools that actually tries at WBB when every school in the country tries at MBB. Also, they completely ignore the pre-Drew era and effectively are trying to get rid of our GOAT...for who I haven't a clue.
Most of them couldn't even name 10 other men's basketball coaches because they're not really basketball fans. They just like to *****.

I asked in this very thread who the whiners think we could get that would outperform Drew and be willing to put up long-term with the many inherent disadvantages that would come with taking over our program. The response? Crickets.
xiledinok
BaylorHistory said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

rudylaw said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

There's schools trying in women's basketball but like football, only 8 or so get to have a real chance each year.

Texas Tech won conference. No need to believe they aren't looking down at us after their coach needs 3 seasons to win conference and produce two lottery picks.
KCbear96
Fact is, this team is way more talented than the pundits thought when the season started, yet we're playing crappy basketball at the worst time of year.
Getting blown out today was terrible, but the OSU loss at home was even worse.
Johnny Bear
bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

NeonBU said:

Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Everyone agrees with pursuing excellence. You're not as special as you think you are. In fact, you're among the fools who think you can achieve that level of excellence without the requisite commitment to it. The state of Texas has one men's basketball national title in its history and that was from Texas Western more than 50 years ago. You know why that is? Because basketball is not important in this part of the country. You can't demand championships without first building a championship culture, and Baylor men's basketball will never have that among its fan base.

If you want Baylor to win championships and going to Final Fours, you need to start getting your ass to games ... and bringing 9,000 of your friends ... and repeat game after game, year after year, win or lose. The reason blue bloods are blue bloods is because they care about being great, and their fans do their part to make it happen. *****ing from your couch because our coach is taking our graveyard of a program to Sweet 16s and Elite Eights rather than Final Fours and championships doesn't make you a good fan. It makes you a delusional one.
And that makes you a "fan" that obviously thinks BU is crap for men's bball (you keep repeatedly asserting that point) and it's just a hopeless cause. Kim Mulkey could've thought that about our women's program when she came on the scene and even moreso Art Briles could've thought that as well in football. Glad they didn't think you.
bear2be2
KCbear96 said:

Fact is, this team is way more talented than the pundits thought when the season started, yet we're playing crappy basketball at the worst time of year.
Getting blown out today was terrible, but the OSU loss at home was even worse.

Way more talented based on what exactly?

Without Clark, our front court is a mercurial sophomore transfer, a DIII transfer and a raw-as-hell freshman. And our guard corps is a hobbled transfer, a career role player, a lightly recruited JUCO transfer and a true freshman.

There's talent here, but we're less talented than at least three of the teams we finished above in the Big 12 standings, probably four ... and that was before injuries derailed things twice.
bear2be2
Johnny Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Johnny Bear said:

NeonBU said:

Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

If you want Baylor to win championships and going to Final Fours, you need to start getting your ass to games ... and bringing 9,000 of your friends ... and repeat game after game, year after year, win or lose. The reason blue bloods are blue bloods is because they care about being great, and their fans do their part to make it happen. *****ing from your couch because our coach is taking our graveyard of a program to Sweet 16s and Elite Eights rather than Final Fours and championships doesn't make you a good fan. It makes you a delusional one.
And that makes you a "fan" that obviously thinks BU is crap for men's bball (you keep repeatedly asserting that point) and it's just a hopeless cause. Kim Mulkey could've thought that about our women's program when she came on the scene and even moreso Art Briles could've thought that as well in football. Glad they didn't think you.
Baylor has been crap for all but a handful of seasons in its history, and the only thing about our current program that's not crap is the product on the court. Our fan support is a joke, our arena is among the worst in the conference and our practice facility, while adequate, doesn't stand out among our peers.

Our program, like this year's team, is massively overachieving reasonable expectations. That's why those of us with perspective defend Scott Drew rather than assume that what he has done here is easily repeatable/matched.

And leave the Mulkey talk on the women's board. The men's and women's basketball landscapes aren't remotely comparable. Neither is football, for that matter, which actually gets support from our university. And even then, Briles had to cut corners to build what he did, and both he and we paid dearly for it.
Stefano DiMera
God there are so many idiots on this board when it comes to basketball..other than 2 years under Iba our program has been a joke last 50 years..

How many years did it take Jim Boheim..Coach K..Jay Wright..to reach Final Four?
MrGolfguy
bear2be2 said:

*****ing from your couch because our coach is taking our graveyard of a program to Sweet 16s and Elite Eights rather than Final Fours and championships doesn't make you a good fan. It makes you a delusional one.
+1
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
CHP Bear
bear2be2 said:

CHP Bear said:

robby44 said:

Finished 4th
That was literally the only game in conference play we lost that we should have won. We won a minimum of four games that we "shouldn't have." Using that game as a referendum on this season is beyond stupid.
Agree sentence one. Agree second sentence. As for sentence tree your entitled to your opinion. My only expectation regarding conference play was a win in Waco vs. Okie Lite. Didn't happen. Guess I expected too much. I expected a win against ISt. Too much?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.