Another Mirror Year

14,788 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stefano DiMera said:

God there are so many idiots on this board when it comes to basketball..other than 2 years under Iba our program has been a joke last 50 years..

How many years did it take Jim Boheim..Coach K..Jay Wright..to reach Final Four?
My thoughts exactly. Losses like this one today bring out the ignorant fans who completely overlook what Drew has and continues to do here at Baylor. So many school would kill to have a coach like Drew and his successes here. It's like those fans ignore all the positive talk, the info graphics and just good analysis that puts Drew up there with some great coaches.
rudylaw
I just hope Drew continues to suffer here because I don't think we'd like whomever replaces him. Would be a downgrade, probably severely, if it ever happens.
whitetrash
NeonBU said:

Low T therapy may cure this mindset
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Stefano DiMera said:

God there are so many idiots on this board when it comes to basketball..other than 2 years under Iba our program has been a joke last 50 years..

How many years did it take Jim Boheim..Coach K..Jay Wright..to reach Final Four?
Coach K made the championship game after like 6 years...Jay Wright made the FF after 8.

Boeheim is comparable. It took him a long time to get to the top, but he did very well pretty quickly.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BTW, Drew absolutely blew the doors off this year. Anyone that claims Baylor underperformed simply is a fairweather college basketball fan.
bear2be2
BarleyMcDougal said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Coach K made the championship game after like 6 years...Jay Wright made the FF after 8.

Boeheim is comparable. It took him a long time to get to the top, but he did very well pretty quickly.
So did Drew. He was in the Elite Eight in Year 7 ... despite a multi-year rebuild.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
bear2be2 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Stefano DiMera said:

So did Drew. He was in the Elite Eight in Year 7 ... despite a multi-year rebuild.
Yes, Drew has a solid career arc, especially given his obstacles.

I should have said "comparable to Drew." Similar trajectory.
bear2be2
BarleyMcDougal said:

bear2be2 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Gotcha.

The funny thing about this thread -- and really all *****ing about the current state of our program -- is that we're going to have the deepest team of the Scott Drew era next season and likely will be poised to make another deep tournament run. This thread is going to look really dumb this time next year.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
bear2be2 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

bear2be2 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Gotcha.

The funny thing about this thread -- and really all *****ing about the current state of our program -- is that we're going to have the deepest team of the Scott Drew era next season and likely will be poised to make another deep tournament run. This thread is going to look really dumb this time next year.
I hope so. I don't know if Drew has ever had a roster with that much expectation. I hope he can get them to meet that challenge head on. He should steal that old Briles one-liner about putting it on paper.
bear2be2
BarleyMcDougal said:

bear2be2 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

bear2be2 said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Gotcha.

I hope so. I don't know if Drew has ever had a roster with that much expectation. I hope he can get them to meet that challenge head on. He should steal that old Briles one-liner about putting it on paper.
I don't think the expectations will be a huge issue. It's not like there will be a bunch of divas on next year's roster. It will be the same blue collar players that made this year's NCAA tournament run plus a pair of transfer guards with something to prove. If we can stay healthy and develop chemistry early, there's no reason we shouldn't be very good.
DST
Scott Drew has more post season appearances than some posters have IQ points, I swear.
Oldbear83
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Same ole same ole coming out of Waco in the basketball department. Win enough to satisfy the few fans left. It's always injuries, projects, depth or any other reason but the results are like a washing machine slogging back and forth.

This season is very typical of the last 15.
Compare the Drew years to any other coach's tenure at Baylor, and a Bears fan will be happy indeed with the results Coach Drew has brought us.
Oldbear83
robby44 said:

We were picked to finish 9th
Finished 4th
I'm not sure what OP was expecting this season?
He wanted a pony for Christmas.

He got an anatomically correct HIllary Clinton doll instead.
Aliceinbubbleland
Bear8084 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Same ole same ole coming out of Waco in the basketball department. Win enough to satisfy the few fans left. It's always injuries, projects, depth or any other reason but the results are like a washing machine slogging back and forth.

Get the **** out of here with this ***** This was expected by literally everyone to be a rebuilding year. The only reason anyone is disappointed right now is because this team massively overachieved this season.

If we do the same thing next year, with just about everyone back and a couple of impact guards joining the mix, feel free to *****. But doing so now because an extremely gutty team has run out of gas is weak sauce.
Yup. And here comes the "No conference titles!" ignorance.
Yup. Here comes the no title of any kind ignorance.
Bear8084
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Bear8084 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Get the **** out of here with this ***** This was expected by literally everyone to be a rebuilding year. The only reason anyone is disappointed right now is because this team massively overachieved this season.

If we do the same thing next year, with just about everyone back and a couple of impact guards joining the mix, feel free to *****. But doing so now because an extremely gutty team has run out of gas is weak sauce.
Yup. And here comes the "No conference titles!" ignorance.
Yup. Here comes the no title of any kind ignorance.

The whole OP was ignorant. And as others have proven on here, really off base.
BaylorOkie
This thread.
DanaDane
This team should have finished with Ok St's record, maybe even worse after losing Clark. This is not the year to be bellyaching about underachieving. Last year? Ok. Not this year though.
Ludwig von Missi
Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

It's a weird phenomenon, but it's clear for men's bball the majority of our fans are fine with never winning conference titles (of any kind)*, always finishing third or (usually) lower in the conference, and never going to a final four, as long as we just get into the tournament most years and occasionally make the sweet 16 or even (once in a blue moon) an elite 8. We have higher aspirations for virtually all of our other sports, but for men's bball, we're fine with just about anything that's at least slightly higher than mediocrity. As far as this particular season goes, Drew does deserve a lot of credit for taking the team as far as he did given the key player injuries he had to deal with and he should be applauded for that - but at the same time, your point is well taken - there's always one or more excuses season in and season out. But again, the majority of us are just fine with that and I'm sure we'll just keep rockin' and rollin' accordingly.

* - Before anyone posts something like "But, but, but Kansas wins all of the conference titles!!", Texas Tech and Kansas State say "hello", plus ISU has won 3 of the last 5 Big 12 men's bball Tourneys. And in 3 seasons Chris Beard has already accomplished what Drew has failed to do in 16 seasons.
Slightly higher than mediocrity? LMAO

Wanting to win the conference in basketball is a worthy goal. It's not the end all be all like it is in football, but it would still be nice. But if you think our results have only been "slightly higher than mediocrity," you simply have no grasp on reality. We have been one of the top 20-30 basketball programs in the country for a decade. Should we strive to improve? Always. But there is nothing mediocre about this basketball program.
Jay Square
I have to admit I know very little about basketball but I do know about coaching. Scott Drew I believe is a very nice man but he is a bad basketball coach and generally during a game he doesn't know what to do. He gets paid a lot of money to coach Baylor men's basketball team - he is in charge of the program. He needs to do a better job of coaching or recruiting or hire better assistant coaches.
Ludwig von Missi
Jay Square said:

I have to admit I know very little about basketball but I do know about coaching. Scott Drew I believe is a very nice man but he is a bad basketball coach and generally during a game he doesn't know what to do. He gets paid a lot of money to coach Baylor men's basketball team - he is in charge of the program. He needs to do a better job of coaching or recruiting or hire better assistant coaches.
Probably should have stopped right here.
Johnny Bear
Crash Davis said:

Johnny Bear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

It's a weird phenomenon, but it's clear for men's bball the majority of our fans are fine with never winning conference titles (of any kind)*, always finishing third or (usually) lower in the conference, and never going to a final four, as long as we just get into the tournament most years and occasionally make the sweet 16 or even (once in a blue moon) an elite 8. We have higher aspirations for virtually all of our other sports, but for men's bball, we're fine with just about anything that's at least slightly higher than mediocrity. As far as this particular season goes, Drew does deserve a lot of credit for taking the team as far as he did given the key player injuries he had to deal with and he should be applauded for that - but at the same time, your point is well taken - there's always one or more excuses season in and season out. But again, the majority of us are just fine with that and I'm sure we'll just keep rockin' and rollin' accordingly.

* - Before anyone posts something like "But, but, but Kansas wins all of the conference titles!!", Texas Tech and Kansas State say "hello", plus ISU has won 3 of the last 5 Big 12 men's bball Tourneys. And in 3 seasons Chris Beard has already accomplished what Drew has failed to do in 16 seasons.
Slightly higher than mediocrity? LMAO

Wanting to win the conference in basketball is a worthy goal. It's not the end all be all like it is in football, but it would still be nice. But if you think our results have only been "slightly higher than mediocrity," you simply have no grasp on reality. We have been one of the top 20-30 basketball programs in the country for a decade. Should we strive to improve? Always. But there is nothing mediocre about this basketball program.
The reference was about the minimum baseline for what has been acceptable - it wasn't a comment that the overall results under Drew have been slightly better than mediocrity.
Aliceinbubbleland
Nowhere did I call for canning Drew. I just mentioned once again my huge disappointment in results. Every year we have hopes and we generally blow our best chances. It doesn't matter what I think anyway as Scott Drew is as safe as John Morris for the same reasons.

And one more thing. Drew should call the painters and have WBB painted in front of the National Champs floor logo. For us to imply the MBB team won a National Championship is about as aggy as we can be with that paint job.

I go back to Bill Henderson days and yes, Drew is by far our most successful coach. I can still express disappointment without being called an idiot. Our seasons are almost predictable.
BaylorOkie
Crash Davis said:

Jay Square said:

Probably should have stopped right here.
No doubt. This thread is cracking me up.
Johnny Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I can still express disappointment without being called an idiot.
Actually, apparently you can't.
Stefano DiMera
No that's incorrect.. you're not taking into account their entire head coaching career..not their current blue blood program they're at now
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Stefano DiMera said:

No that's incorrect.. you're not taking into account their entire head coaching career..not their current blue blood program they're at now
I'm not counting Drew's year at Valpo either. Why would I? VCU and Butler are the exceptions to the exceptions. The meter starts running once a coach lands at a program with resources. And yeah I know the obstacles Drew faced when taking over the program. My point is that he's on a nice career trajectory.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Nowhere did I call for canning Drew. I just mentioned once again my huge disappointment in results. Every year we have hopes and we generally blow our best chances. It doesn't matter what I think anyway as Scott Drew is as safe as John Morris for the same reasons.

And one more thing. Drew should call the painters and have WBB painted in front of the National Champs floor logo. For us to imply the MBB team won a National Championship is about as aggy as we can be with that paint job.

I go back to Bill Henderson days and yes, Drew is by far our most successful coach. I can still express disappointment without being called an idiot. Our seasons are almost predictable.
That logo is really cringeworthy to be honest. Again, there are people at Baylor who make really stupid decisions - the same ones that introduced the bear logo of the late 90's/early 2000s.
Oldbear83
Alice: "I just mentioned once again my huge disappointment in results. Every year we have hopes and we generally blow our best chances."

The first statement is somewhat fair. None of us is happy with, for example, the home loss to Okie State or the quick exit from the conference tournament.

But the second statement is just not true. Baylor plays in a really tough conference loaded with good teams. Besides Kansas, a bunch of other teams go deep in the NCAA Tournament pretty much every year. OU and West Virginia are often seriously good, K State is really good at home and at least during the Barnes years Texas was good. Drew made us relevant in a nationally prominent conference.

The multiple years with sweet sixteen and elite eight runs are proof that Drew has delivered some great rewards to fans.

Sure, we want a conference crown. Sure, we want to win a Regional. With Drew there is reason to think those could happen. I can tell you before Drew no knowledgeable fan would have said Baylor was a threat to win big.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Bear8084 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

So many school would kill to have a coach like Drew and his successes here.
Successes? Yes.

Drew? Honestly, I've never seen ANY fan/alum of another school say that they would want Scott Drew anywhere, which is really strange. I think he almost universally rubs people the wrong way. Part of that is that he's at Baylor and, even before this scandal crap, the mix of religion and college has a really caustic effect on people outside of our alums. They don't want God to mingle with their sports and they've got their finger ready to hit the hypocrisy button. The other reason is that he's been the victim of subterfuge by people who want to portray him as a poor coach for a lot of reasons.
Oldbear83
Barley: "I've never seen ANY fan/alum of another school say that they would want Scott Drew"

Strange, I see and hear it a lot. TCU fans wanted Drew before they got Dixon, I know some West Virginia fans who are business colleagues here in Houston who would like Drew to replace Huggins, and Longhorn fans have long hoped they could steal Drew away.

bear2be2
Jay Square said:

This has got to be a trolling expedition, right?

"I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I'm going to share my opinion anyway."

This fan base doesn't deserve nice things.
bear2be2
Aliceinbubbleland said:

You can express as much disappointment as you want. Doing so when we just finished five spots higher than our predicted finish in a 10-team league is objectively stupid, however.

And it also completely disproves your last sentence, as most here were predicting four or five conference wins at most after the SFA loss.
xiledinok
Oldbear83 said:

Barley: "I've never seen ANY fan/alum of another school say that they would want Scott Drew"

Strange, I see and hear it a lot. TCU fans wanted Drew before they got Dixon, I know some West Virginia fans who are business colleagues here in Houston who would like Drew to replace Huggins, and Longhorn fans have long hoped they could steal Drew away.

Never heard it. Heard exact opposite 1,000,000 times. Did you hear it at church? Please be honest.

It doesn't matter. He's not getting fired, bought out or given a long extension. He's well paid. No one will match Baylor. Drew's overly evangelical persona sells well at Baylor and will buy him all the time he needs when he is slumping. Drew knows and Steve Smith knew that's the card to play when in trouble, according to old money.

One expert I know told me Drew didn't adjust one time against Iowa State. I told him I was ready to start enjoying Rick Carlisle coaching a talented NBA team. Billy Donovan and Drew are coaching entertainment.
BaylorOkie
Jay Square said:

I'm genuinely curious if you read this post before hitting submit. You just said you know very little about basketball and then proceeded to say that a man with Scott Drew's list of accomplishments is not a good basketball coach.
Jay Square
There is an interesting article on ESPN about University of Houston's basketball coach Keivin Sampson that Mark Rhoades hired in 2014. Coach Sampson's first year record was 13-19 and this year their record is 30-2 and they are still playing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.