Bryce Drew fired....

7,668 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by D. C. Bear
Stefano DiMera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...as I predicted last month..has a top 5 class coming in.
EasyE
Can Scott hire Bryce and maybe some of those top recruits can get released from their LOI's and sign with Baylor (like Jared Butler did, I believe)?
Timbear
Recruits yes, but why would Baylor want any coach that just got fired for losing?
rudylaw
Timbear said:

Recruits yes, but why would Baylor want any coach that just got fired for losing?
The first word in your post answers your question.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Stefano DiMera said:

...as I predicted last month..has a top 5 class coming in.
That's wild. Can't believe they wouldn't give him 2 more years with that class.
Yeek
I know it's never an excuse but didn't they have a lot of significant injuries this season?
Timbear
Ok, cool
BaylorHistory
Timbear said:

NBA playing experience and it never hurts to have a former HC as an assistant.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Mitch Henessey
Yeek said:

I know it's never an excuse but didn't they have a lot of significant injuries this season?
They had two 5* recruits this season. One, Darius Garland, is a projected first-round pick in the NBA draft this year. He played in 5 games, in which they went 4-0, and was injured for the year in the fifth after playing 2 minutes (they eventually lost that game to Akron).

The second, Simi Shittu (rough name) was a McDonald's AA but tore his ACL during his senior season and was working his way back all year, despite playing in all 32 games (think a Quincy Miller situation, except he probably won't be so foolish as to declare for the draft this year).

I'd be down to hire Bryce, except 1) he's probably going to get some HC offers, and 2) we'd have to lose an assistant to accommodate him, and Drew is extremely loyal to his staff, so I don't see that happening, unless Tang finally gets a HC shot.
Waco1947
Late to the game. Where did Bryce coach?
Yeek
Waco1947 said:

Late to the game. Where did Bryce coach?

Vandy
bubbadog
Yeek said:

Really just one injury, though it was significant. They had signed a 5-star PG who tore up his knee just 4 or 5 games into the season. He's projected as a lottery pick in this year's NBA draft even with the injury.

He was their best player, but their injury situation really isn't comparable to what Baylor went through, in my opinion.

On the one hand they had to reorient their whole offense. On the other hand, it wasn't like the injury disrupted them halfway through the season. They basically had all year to figure it out. And they also had brought in two other freshmen who were 4-stars.

They beat a couple of decent teams after the PG got injured. They also very easily could have been around .500 halfway through the SEC schedule. They should've beaten Tennessee right after the Vols went to No. 1 (blew a 6-point leader with a little over a minute to go and lost in OT) and came close to beating Kentucky in Lexington.

Bottom line was they didn't get better as the season went along; if anything they got worse. I saw them a couple of times on TV. One was their game at OU in the Big XII-SEC challenge. They looked abysmal, clueless and demoralized and lost by 30 or 35. And then I watched OU's very next game, when we went into that very same gym and beat OU by 30.

Bottom line is you can't go 0-19 in conference play and really expect to keep your job.

Their incoming class is supposed to be good, but I don't know if it's as heralded as this one (they've signed Scottie Pippen's son).

I'm sure they were also thinking about the cost to the program if they DIDN'T make a change. Basketball attendance already is down in most places because most games are on TV. It would be pretty hard to sell season tickets for a team that went 0-19 the previous year unless they have a new coach.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
twd74
rudylaw said:

Timbear said:

The first word in your post answers your question.
hmmm, in looking at Vandy's class. We have a Jordan (Turner), could we add a Pippin?
EatMoreSalmon
Could we hire Bryce as a "consultant" and get some of those recruits?
EvilTroyAndAbed
bubbadog said:

Yeek said:

Really just one injury, though it was significant. They had signed a 5-star PG who tore up his knee just 4 or 5 games into the season. He's projected as a lottery pick in this year's NBA draft even with the injury.

He was their best player, but their injury situation really isn't comparable to what Baylor went through, in my opinion.

On the one hand they had to reorient their whole offense. On the other hand, it wasn't like the injury disrupted them halfway through the season. They basically had all year to figure it out. And they also had brought in two other freshmen who were 4-stars.

They beat a couple of decent teams after the PG got injured. They also very easily could have been around .500 halfway through the SEC schedule. They should've beaten Tennessee right after the Vols went to No. 1 (blew a 6-point leader with a little over a minute to go and lost in OT) and came close to beating Kentucky in Lexington.

Bottom line was they didn't get better as the season went along; if anything they got worse. I saw them a couple of times on TV. One was their game at OU in the Big XII-SEC challenge. They looked abysmal, clueless and demoralized and lost by 30 or 35. And then I watched OU's very next game, when we went into that very same gym and beat OU by 30.

Bottom line is you can't go 0-19 in conference play and really expect to keep your job.

Their incoming class is supposed to be good, but I don't know if it's as heralded as this one (they've signed Scottie Pippen's son).

I'm sure they were also thinking about the cost to the program if they DIDN'T make a change. Basketball attendance already is down in most places because most games are on TV. It would be pretty hard to sell season tickets for a team that went 0-19 the previous year unless they have a new coach.
How many bottom lines do you have?
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Because a lot of failed head coaches are outstanding assistants.

Do you even sports, bro?
beardoc
The AD who hired him died and the new one has been on the job a month or two. He had never had a sit down meeting with Bryce until he fired him. Until this AM Bryce thought he had one more year to turn it around.
jdrs
Sorry to hear it. Want the Drew brothers to succeed.
Mitch Henessey
Vanderbilt with the clown shoes move of trying to convince him to take another position at the school so they could avoid having to pay his buyout. What a joke.
bubbadog
beardoc said:

The AD who hired him died and the new one has been on the job a month or two. He had never had a sit down meeting with Bryce until he fired him. Until this AM Bryce thought he had one more year to turn it around.
The old AD had actually retired, but then he died only a week or so after his retirement took effect.

Seems rather strange there hadn't been a sit-down meeting with the new AD until now.
Mitch Henessey
Unless they recently changed things, Vanderbilt doesn't actually have a separate athletic department. Athletics reports to the Department of Kinesiology or some goofy ish like that. It's a very odd school in general.
Michibear
Mitch Henessey said:

Vanderbilt with the clown shoes move of trying to convince him to take another position at the school so they could avoid having to pay his buyout. What a joke.
So, no moonlighting Drew bro. on ours sideline next year?
bubbadog
Michibear said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I think I'd rather have Homer on our sideline than Bryce.

Not that Scott seems to need any help with game management these days.
EasyE
bubbadog said:

Michibear said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I think I'd rather have Homer on our sideline than Bryce.

Not that Scott seems to need any help with game management these days.

If the recruiting success at Vandy was primarily due to Bryce, then it would be well worth it to have him on board, especially considering that recruiting has been a weakness the last couple of years.
bularry
Yeek said:

One key injury

Only three years on the job, but new AD and winless SEC season

I'm good with him joining Baylor staff
EvilTroyAndAbed
Stefano DiMera said:

...as I predicted last month.
What do you want, a cookie?
Stefano DiMera
Sure! . Or some work boots.
PartyBear
Can Scott Drew playing on he is Bryce''s brother not try to get that class from Vandy now or have they actually signed and would have to transfer.
DanaDane
Why would Bryce come here? He'll have several offers as a head coach at a mid major school.
Stefano DiMera
Yeah that would be weird..I don't have any siblings but I'm sure at his age he doesn't want to work under his brother...and will have options.
DanaDane
On a side note, I guess this means we can now play Vanderbilt again.
rudylaw
He'll get another HC opportunity but I'd be surprised if it was as early as next year.
BaylorOkie
Stefano DiMera
That school just sucks on the welfare teat of SEC money...they have invested ZERO in facilities.
bularry
DanaDane said:

Why would Bryce come here? He'll have several offers as a head coach at a mid major school.

I kinda doubt it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.