Depth chart thoughts for next season

4,322 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rudylaw
Bear1991
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The 2019-2020 season is going to be special!
*Please leave your own depth chart predictions, but this is roughly what I am expecting to see:

Starters:
PG- Davion Mitchell 6' 1"
Hounding defender that should set the tone defensively for the backcourt all season long. Could be a 6-man with 30+ min/game due to Butler's good play while in the starting lineup, but I think his defense will be crucial for this team's success.

SG- MaCio Teague 6' 3"
Likely leading scorer next year and will be the guy every team will key in on stopping.

SF- Mark Vital 6' 5"
Same role as this season. If he can develop some sort of a mid-range game..... good luck stopping him.

PF- Mario Kegler 6' 7"
Loads of potential, but didn't play how some of us might have expected this season. I expect a giant leap in Kegler's consistency on both ends of the court, and hopefully, becomes one of the premier stretch 4's in the league.

C/PF- Tristan Clark 6' 9"
Not much needs to be said here. He was setting up for a POY year in the Big XII before his injury, and I think this offseason will set him up for a special year. Since most teams will focus their attention to MaCio, I think Clark shots will come even easier than they had this year. 1st team All-American will be a great possibility.

Bench:
PG/SG- Jared Butler 6' 3"
This guy has been a pleasure to watch throughout the season. His ability to make the big shot and get to the rim at will is something that can't be taught. However, he does have some flaws on the defensive end, particularly in the zone.

SG- Devonte Bandoo 6' 3"
Had a rough start to the season, but quickly become one of the best shooters on the team and a steady contributor on the bench. Same as Butler, his defense in the zone wasn't good this year, but he'll

SF- Matthew Mayer 6' 9"
Showed us several flashes this season (TCU game in Ft. Worth) and could be in line for a major role next season. Once again though, his defense was atrocious at times and was the sole primary reason for keeping him off the floor for a majority of the games in-conference. Decision making and shot selection were also an issue for Mayer, but I expect that area of his game to be much improved heading into next year.

C- Freddie Gillespie 6' 8"
Obviously, the biggest shock of the 2018-2019 season. Played his butt off every game, and one could say his efforts single-handedly won a couple of games for the bears this season. Would like to see him improve his footwork this offseason so he can provide more assistance as a rim protector.

SG: Darius Allen 6' 4"
Great athlete and prospect, but was unable to make any contribution this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him make huge leaps on the defensive side of the court, and become a mini-Mark Vital off the bench. Energy guys are always great to have in mass quantity.

Other Options:

Jordan Turner 6' 6":
Going to be a very intriguing freshman that has a chance to play right away. Has a great 3-point shot, size, and athleticism. We will have to wait and see how his defense is when he makes it to campus. I expect the staff will make the decision to redshirt either him or Mayer by the first game.

Flo Thamba 6' 10":
I personally think he would really benefit from a redshirt season, but he will most likely be needed. Unless, of course, Scott Drew pulls off a miracle and picks up a transfer big man that is immediately eligible.

Makai Mason 6' 1":
Yes, I am aware his career is technically over due to being a graduate transfer, but a medical redshirt is not out of the realm of possibility. I think he could turn into one of the biggest spark plugs the Big XII has ever seen off the bench, and potentially be an X-factor for a championship caliber team. With the added depth from Mitchell and Teague, Drew would be able to limit his minutes when needed to avoid his constant discomfort he played through this year. In a sense, Makai could essentially become an NBA vet by coming in periodically to get buckets. Obviously, the decision will be his if he wishes to pursue the MR, but it sure would be awesome to see that man in neon one more year!
cleareyesfullhearts
I like Butler over Mitchell at this point. Otherwise, I agree with your starting 5. Mitchell turns it over too much at this point to get more than 20/game in my opinion. Teague is going to be a beast and can create his own shot when we need it. It will be a luxury to have Bandoo/Gillespie off the bench. I think those 8 will get the lion's share of mins.
Bear1991
I agree with your take. Not sure of Mitchell's ability to distribute, but we already know Butler is a proven passer. Either way, I expect Davion,MaCio, and Jared to receive the bulk of the minutes in the backcourt. Very excited to see how Drew plays these guys, because they all are extremely talented and bought into the team.
Baylor3216
MM MR not even an option
Booray
Your bench team could be better than most starting 5's in D-1
rudylaw
Mason will not be back. I also agree that the starting PG job is Butler's to lose. I also think Allen transfers based on the fact he played, what, 20 minutes this year? Less? Hopefully he stays because he was built up in the offseason and I'd like to see that promise materialize.
BaylorOkie
Good, thoughtful post in the OP, thanks.

Assuming no injury issues, good chemistry, everyone embraces his role, and offseason development as usual...next year looks good. Those are a lot of assumptions, but it's fun to think about.
rudylaw
BaylorOkie said:

Good, thoughtful post in the OP, thanks.

Assuming no injury issues, good chemistry, everyone embraces his role, and offseason development as usual...next year looks good. Those are a lot of assumptions, but it's fun to think about.
I liken this team on paper to 2012. Don't have that impact freshman coming in like Miller but the balance and depth are there.
bularry
I think Mitchell will get most PG minutes. He is much better defender than Butler

My guess is we play a lot of small ball
DanaDane
Lots of good stuff by OP. I disagree in a few areas:

1. Davion Mitchell will not beat out Butler, but will certainly be a valuable contributor.

2. Mason is finished with basketball.

3. Neither Allen nor Mayer will be in a Baylor uniform by mid-December (no sources; just my speculation as neither will see substantially more minutes next year unless either shows dramatic improvement).

4. Maybe you've seen a different Jordan Turner than I, but the kid I've seen in 5 high school games is very talented but no further along than Mayer was when he came here. Mayer didn't play meaningful minutes on a less talented team than we will have next year. At best, Turner will be a nominal role player.

Next year's team has the potential to be a really, really, reallly good team if Teague can score in the Big 12 as advertised and Clark stays healthy.
rudylaw
Mayer is poised for stardom if he keeps improving. He's not going anywhere.
Bear1991
Agreed that it would not be surprising to see Allen transfer. There may not be room in the rotation for a guard, but this team could use all the frontcourt help they can get. Hopefully, Drew is already eyeing a diamond in the rough big man for next year.
Heisman25g
Butler was one of our best players lol, no way he doesn't start.
OldBurlyBear86
Allen will get alot of minutes at the beginning of the year to see how composed he is during a 4 guard line up. The dude can defend 3 spots.

Butler will likely start most games.

Mayer and Bandoo will be first off the bench.

I think Kegler has the most talent/upside, however he does not control the ball and often sleep walks. We really need to keep him focused.

Look for Clark and Gillepsie to take some Vital minutes as well when we go 3 guard.
Rick85
Butler is a SG imo, needs improvement in ball handling, game control and everything else that Drew gets out of the PG position.
txrangers
I fully expect Baylor to be playing this week, this time next year.
Johnny Bear
Would really like to see a quality (doesn't have to be great, but quality) big man (i.e. 6'10" or taller) with some brawn come in to join this team which to me would be the "last piece" of the puzzle to make this potentially a great team next season - possibly Drew's best ever. Even if that doesn't happen, barring injuries, it's going to be a good team, but an addition like that would further help tremendously.
rudylaw
So Allen is, in fact, gone. Does that open up a scholarship or was that already filled?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.